Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Re: My short bus "Rolly"

boo that sucks. that would have been a nice lot to find. maybe put up a wanted ad

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmonkk
To add as a side Note: Virgin mobile also has the MIFI 2200. Takes the middle man out! Air Card and Wireless router in One. Don't know how I missed that. Well anyhow.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobil...mifi-2200.html

Comes with charger. Can connect Five Wireless devices simultaneously. 30-40ft range. Price tag $149.99

This does have some bad reviews. I could find nothing but praise for the previous set ups though. $64 savings going with this set up, I could put that money torwards a wifi antenna and repeater.

I Dont know if you have cell phones, but you could buy a phone that gives you a mobile hotspot. I have a droid X for verizon and it works awesome! There's a $10 charge per month on top of your current plan to use it. I "rooted" my phone so I get it free Its going to be nice to be able to use the laptop while I'm out and about at nights
Old 02-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

could just get a router and a high power antennae lol
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

have some "butterfly" latches on the inside to lock it when its parked. they could also double as extra air tightness down the road lol
Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Yea-sticks not really the way to go. You are gonna have splattery welds that probably will not have very good penatration. Find/borrow/rent a mig welder. If you have any kinds of skills (and by looking at your work you have plenty) you can learn how to mig in minutes.
I was working at a place years ago when a welder salesman came in--and his catch was he'd take the secretary-give her 5 minutes training and let her go at it. "Look how easy it is-any of you guys should be able to do it if SHE can!"

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

lol i can weld better with a stick then i can with a mig. mind you i have only mig welded a couple times...
Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #47
Bus Crazy

when you have it running now does other functions work? like radio and lights and the sort? might need to re-wire that blower switch or switch on the main panel for it to work?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
... I think I'm in love!
I don't think it will work out. You're just too different!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #49
Bus Crazy

that sounds like a nice way to go. how cool does it get inside?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

smart thinking there. no need to wire it up over and over if you have a bad run with freezers lol
Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

ok the sideways pics are making me dizzy, looking good
Old 09-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

I'm stealing your passenger seat idea. Pushing it back like that solves the problem of having to maneuver around the seat back when entering the bus.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah Our thoughts exactly. Well, I didn't really have much choice as where to put it. Because of the van style front. there is a heat shroud ( or something ) directly below where the passenger seat has gone in other buses. It is what it is, and since there is only a closet behind her seat, it solves that problem of squeezing by. Also leaves her plenty of leg room. I might end up building a little flip up table or something next to her, for her duties as navigator.
I am really enjoying reading about your build. I've been looking at buying similar busses, and this helps me figure out how to use the space!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

looking good!

looks like you got more room in that area then i do.. i might consider taking out my stripper pole lol
Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainjen72
I am really enjoying reading about your build. I've been looking at buying similar busses, and this helps me figure out how to use the space!
Don't buy a fiberglass bus! This is just from my own personal experience. My bus has been hell. While I learned a whole array of applicable skills( Welding, Working with Bondo, epoxy, and fiberglass,and Framing... to name a few) it has been a steep learning curve! I wouldn't change the experience I received for anything, but I believe I would have saved a few headaches, sleepless nights, and more than a few $ if I had a traditional Skoolie. I would have loved to rivet on panels where unwanted windows and doors were. or raise the roof!

That said, If I hadn't bought the bus when I did, I probably never would have gotten around to attempting a build. It would be one more thing on a list of things I will get to if/when I have more free time, or more money, or a whole array of other logical excuses for not doing them. So I'm fairly happy with my choice! I think I'm talking in circles now!

I understand what you mean! I've looked at the busses like yours, but I really want to actual school bus look. If I had the money, I'd get a 40's bus and totally refurbish it to live in. Perhaps after I finish my degree and make 150k/yearh I can start a retirement fund for that? (And yeah, my degree I'm going for I can make that kind of bank, someone has to like Accounting- oh wait, that's me!)

Still, I love watching what you can do with the smaller spaces. It gives me plenty of ideas!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hang tough Zenmonkk --- don't let the "Bureau of Tax Wasters" get you down. Seems there is at least one whining busy body in every town with nothing better to do than to complain to them when others are actually doing something. If it isn't about buses, its' pets, or the way you mow your lawn, or tie your trash bags, or cut your hair, or...whatever. And I'm betting the idea of someone having the gumption to go mobile and get around the system really makes'em crazy.

Small petty minds can only accomplish small petty deeds.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey BTW --- was that a Danby freezer you converted & loved?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #58
Bus Crazy

yup, someone is JEALOUS!! lol

there is one crazy lady around here that lives on a farm and if you go down the grid road she comes out of the house and runs infront of your truck and tells you to get off her road! lol
Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #59
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Sorry to hear about your troubles zenmonkk. I think that even if you had the bus painted real nice and everything they would still hassle you because it's "different", and people fear that which is outside the status quo. It's natural human instinct to be either curious or suspicious of new elements in our environment. Fearful people will fall into suspicion rather than curiosity. I am very suspicious of those people.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ford Eldorado / Aerotech
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 Gasoline
Rated Cap: 11

yeah I hear ya on that one my neighbor is already asking are you going to keep that bus in your drive way all the time? I replied only when we are not using it on a road trip! that's where the conversation ended...lol