Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #1

Necessary to insulate???

Hello!
I'm wondering if it's necessary to insulate a short skoolie.
Ill be living in it this summer from June - September. I live on Vancouver island in the pacific northwest where temperatures climb to + 30 celsius. I hear they can be saunas, but can't I just open the windows?
I will also be spending a week here and there through the winter where it's about 0 degrees celsius.
How important is insulation?
Worth losing the extra wall and ceiling space for?
Also potentially better for resale value ..
Thanks!!

Chrystals0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I built my bus for full time use in all seasons.

With absolutely no insulation in ours, we could have a full sized (NOT a mini) wood stove going full tilt in winter and not even make a dent in the interior temperature. The metal surfaces all acted as conduits to the exterior. Ultimately I committed to full demolition/insulation.

If at all possible I recommend covering up all metal surfaces, removing the ceiling, the inner walls, all of the stock insulation, and as many original bus side windows as you are willing (RV windows can be added after). Proper demolition makes the longer term prospects much better- you will use less fuel/energy both heating and cooling.

Another thing to consider adding is sound insulation applied directly to the exposed walls after rust remediation and painting, before any other insulation/framing members.

Keep in mind that inadequate insulation can mean a miserable experience, frozen/damaged water lines, etc. There is virtually no such thing as too much insulation, if you add it you will enjoy your hard work all that more.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation