Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 350
Rated Cap: 21
Need advice on brake repair

Hello fellow skoolies. I recently purchased a 1985 Microbird, runs great only problem is a rusted brake line that runs front to back on the drivers side has a leak. I do most of my vehicle repairs myself, but when it comes to brakes the only repairs I have done are shoes. I have called around on having the line replaced, and no one seems willing to fix it. Why? Also no repair books online that I could find. My question is how hard is this going to be to fix, what is the best way and how much am I looking at spending?

Millectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Need advice on brake repair

Welcome,
Way too many variables

Dealer parts or buy tubing and bend cut etc and then flare

My advice is this
Replace all lines if one is rusted....you will never have to do this again....for at least 15years

Is it gm or ford?

Easiest route is to get all the lines clips and hoses (be prepared just in case with about $300 for calipers and wheel cylinders) get a mechanic friend and a 12 pack of a good IPA...don't pop first top until lines are replaced

Your looking at $350 worth of lines(prevent etc) plus add in crap that doesn't come loose

Good luck and ask more ?

Hardest part will be taking crap apart, then cleaning, next reassymble, then bleeding....brakes not you
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil

Hardest part will be taking crap apart, then cleaning, next reassymble, then bleeding....brakes not you
come on man, bleeding is part of the deal. you gotta bleed to get her fixed.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

What Bansil suggests is true. If you have one brake line leaking, the rest won't be far behind. You need to use either galvanized or stainless steel tubing if you can. It is possible to paint steel tubing to ward off rust, but, not advisable. Also, be SURE to use a double flare tool when you make up new tubing. Single flare (like Harbor Freight tool makes) usually splits the flare at the weld and leaks almost immediately. The double flare tool folds the tube back inside itself and then flares the tube thus avoiding the split. You cab buy the tubing fairly cheaply at a business who deals in hydraulic equipment--about a buck a foot for mild (needs paint) steel. Head Bansil"s advice---my life may depend on it! Hope this helps. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I agree with Jack and Bansil. Get a made up brake line and study how the double flare is made. Then make a few practice ones and study them with a magnifying glass. ANY crack is unacceptable. It takes a little practice to get them right.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Ditto all the above --- Perfect double flares are critical on brake lines. And just because a flaring tool came from an Auto Supply, doesn't mean it's right for brakes. Half the counter guys don't have a clue about anything auto related.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote