Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #1

Need simple water pump breakdown please

I am about to loose my mind if I ask someone for one more suggestion because everything becomes so complected I still end up getting the wrong thing. If you are going to respond to this PLEASE PLEASE keep it simple.

I am a single mom building a Skoolie on my own with a 6yr old. I am handy but this is expanding on my skills. I need a 12V water pump. Can someone please point me to a inexpensive but reliable kit so I am not also then running around looking for the other crazy parts.

hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I bought a used pump here. Artis pump, around $60 retail, paid $20.

Make sure it is 12V, enough GPM for your system.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...+pump&_sacat=0
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Sorry to hear you're getting complex or too much information on your inquiries. I'll try to help you, but your question begs for a little more information than what you've provided.

You'll need to know, or estimate, your water usage and flow requirements in order to buy the right pump, once!

Are you planning on a shower, or a washing machine? if so a larger/high GPM, (gallons per minute), unit would be best.

If simply a kitchen sink, then a smaller less expensive pump should suffice.

Without knowing your water usage, its difficult to point out anything specific, sorry...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Sorry to hear you're getting complex or too much information on your inquiries. I'll try to help you, but your question begs for a little more information than what you've provided.

You'll need to know, or estimate, your water usage and flow requirements in order to buy the right pump, once!

Are you planning on a shower, or a washing machine? if so a larger/high GPM, (gallons per minute), unit would be best.

If simply a kitchen sink, then a smaller less expensive pump should suffice.

Without knowing your water usage, its difficult to point out anything specific, sorry...
There are pipes laid to an indoor shower right now. Doing research though seems a majority put in outdoor showers. Thoughts? Either way yes I will have a shower. And yes will be using a washing machine.

There is a sink hooked up as well.

I was talking with some neighbors yesterday who lay pipe lines as a job so they seem pretty knowledgeable and have been living out of rvs. We started talking about water holding tanks and gray water tanks. Thoughts in size?

Thank you so much for the simple further information you needed. Please let me know if you need anything else but hopefully this can get us off to a good start.

I am trying to get her out on the 17th to Florida
Old 08-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
100 gallons fresh water
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Tankage really depends on how you are going to use it.

In my first bus, I knew that I was going to be doing a lot of dry camping so I went for big tanks. 200 gallons fresh water, 120 gallons grey and 86 gallons black.

Until my new bus is finished I am taking trips with my travel trailer. It has 35 gallon fresh, grey and black. The smaller tanks really limit the length of our trips. We have added an auxiliary 55 gallon fresh water tank in the bed of my pickup. That helps.

If you plan on campgrounds with hookups most nights then smaller tanks are fine.

If you want the flexibility of not needing hookups frequently then I would suggest the largest tanks that you can reasonably fit.

Remember that each gallon of water weghs eight pounds.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If you plan on campgrounds with hookups most nights then smaller tanks are fine.

If you want the flexibility of not needing hookups frequently then I would suggest the largest tanks that you can reasonably fit.
I would echo this advice. We're two people who have a 100 gallons of fresh water and we're good for 10-14 days without being particularly careful about our water usage. No long showers, of course, but we aren't super conservation minded. We hand wash dishes and use the laundromat instead of relying on a washing machine.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #8

Thank you so much both of you it was very helpful. Truly. If I need anything else I know where to come. Fingers crossed it all goes well.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I would echo this advice. We're two people who have a 100 gallons of fresh water and we're good for 10-14 days without being particularly careful about our water usage. No long showers, of course, but we aren't super conservation minded. We hand wash dishes and use the laundromat instead of relying on a washing machine.
Our experiences are similar. We managed 20 days with 200 gallons.

Regarding a washing machine...... I have owned two RV's with washing machines.

The first one was the "All in one" washer/dryer. It simply did not work well. We eventually removed it and turned the space into storage.

The second one had apartment size stacking washer /dryer. The dryer was 110volt and took a loooong time to dry. And..... The washer DOUBLED our water usage. Now I get pretty good mileage out of my clean clothes and do not generate a lot of dirty laundry. That washer was just a pig when it came to water consumption.

I hate going to the laundromat but if I am on an extended trip it is the best option.

To lessen the misery we go together and fill as many washers as it takes to hold all of our laundry in one shot. We can knock out two weeks of laundry in a bit over two hours.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Front load all-in-one add a LOT of weight.. if I lived in a bus and had an abundant source of shore-power and water i'd prpbably want some type of washer... im just not a wear-it-more-than-once guy..

as it is, I travel a lot and so I actually find it nice how fast I can knock out my laundry at a laundromat vs even doing it at my house.. the idea of filling up 3 or 4 machines at once and blasting throiugh is refreshing! some laundromats even have a bar or coffee shop attached!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote