Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #1

NEED URGENT ADVISE;Weird wood placement between metal exterior pieces

Hello!
I just got my 1999 E-450 shuttle bus and began demoing the interior. I had to take out the windows temporarily to take out the wood that was being held in by it. I came across a really peculiar structural issue where there are wood pieces sandwiched between the exterior of the bus and the metal of the windows. I don’t know if it’s actually just a shell placed over the bus with wood on top of the metal frame. I want to take out the spray foam insulation that is there and reapply new insulation in the future. My question is: How should I go about handling the rust and reinstalling the windows and insulation with this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
DEC9463C-7A2F-42EE-B5CF-A45D85D1CCCA.jpg   97C56440-9C7B-4BDD-8437-40750D3D83FC.jpg   FFDFBA2A-D2BC-428D-9C24-56CD21C93DCD.jpg   4F5FA716-BE5E-439E-B988-ED2CB66D668E.jpg  

LivingDreamsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Looks like the walls are made of exterior-grade plywood, with basic insulation sandwiched between it and exteriorm/ interior paneling. IMO, not much you can do with that other than spray-foam the interior surface before adding an overlay panel.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #3

Reply to Cheese_Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Looks like the walls are made of exterior-grade plywood, with basic insulation sandwiched between it and exteriorm/ interior paneling. IMO, not much you can do with that other than spray-foam the interior surface before adding an overlay panel.
Thank you for your advise! Do you think the overlay panel should be made of metal or plywood as well?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Thank you for your advise! Do you think the overlay panel should be made of plywood or metal sheets?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I would use luan over 2x2 or 2x4 framing, myself. Would give you 2" of insulation on each wall.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #6

Okay, great! That makes me feel a lot less overwhelmed at finding that today. Thank you so much for your help!!
Old 05-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
The amount of rust on those framing pieces indicates a lot of moisture getting places it shouldn't. I would be willing to bet you have some roof seam leaking going on. The motor home I am tearing apart as donor for my bus looks like this in all the walls. It had/has serious roof leaking issues. You need to find and fix all the leaks before you start any inside work or it will soon be ruined too.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
The amount of rust on those framing pieces indicates a lot of moisture getting places it shouldn't. I would be willing to bet you have some roof seam leaking going on. The motor home I am tearing apart as donor for my bus looks like this in all the walls. It had/has serious roof leaking issues. You need to find and fix all the leaks before you start any inside work or it will soon be ruined too.
Yes, you're right. I saw a break in the middle seam that runs along the top of the bus. I ordered some tropicool roof sealant yesterday and I'm about to pick it up now after sealing the seams.Hopefully that'll do the job.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Check out Robert Branden shuttle bus on you tube. He used aluminium sheet metal to cover his windows. Looks nice.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demo day, help me!, help please!, problems, short bus conversion