Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 ltr. Navistar Diesel engine
Rated Cap: 36
Question new bus owner in BC

I just purchased a 1990 blue bird school bus, short bus (36 pax) in victoria bc canada, i would like to know how to go about registering it as a personal use vehicle and not a school bus. Until the conversion is complete I would still like to be able to drive it with my family on board. For example, we need to drive it about 2 1/2 hours away to sell the seats out of it and I would like to be able to bring the fam. Any advice would be helpful!

shortbusbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 AM   #2

Hey, I'm going to talk to ICBC in next couple days about the same. I'll let you know how it goes
jpower891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks that would be great, i just don't know what, if any restrictions there might be on doing so. And do you know what i have to paint over, or what i might have to do with all the flashing lights and stuff? what do you have for a bus? and what are your intentions? I want to turn mine into a camper in the near future, i think its going to be a slow time project.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

Hey bob, my bus came from out of province so it needed an inspection. Instead of paying for a 2nd inspection once it qualifies as an RV, I've decided to start with the conversion. My bus is 2000 freightliner, 72 passanger. I'm planning on the back 10 feet being a flatdeck for ATV's, and the rest of it a camper. It'll probably take awhile. I'm not sure you'll have to paint over anything, and if you remove the stop sign the flashers are just hazard lights.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome fellow Canadian.

I'm over in Alberta.

Always room for one more.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #6

Thanks Nat! On your haul-all, does the rear door still work? Did it require any modifications? Did your bus have much room between the frame rails and the bottom of the door? I'm just trying to figure out how thick my flatdeck can be with the door still operable.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Not much height difference there.

Distance from top of frame to the top of the bus floor is only 3 inches.

That's not much thickness for a flat deck.

My solution was raising the cab 3 more inches and setting it on air ride.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Curious how this goes! I bought my 16 pass van-bus in Victoria and it was already registered as a recreational vehicle so I only had to swap insurance to my name. It didn't have a proper propane system, running water or anything that a true camper would have.

Pics!
BCmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450
Rated Cap: 22
Cool! I live in Victoria. I have an old Airport shuttle. I can totally help you with this.

I need to know what you plan on doing with it first, so I can more accurately advise you. Are you going to rip out all the seats? Are you going to put any back in after? Are you going for a camo camper, tiny-home, or RV with your build?

If you like we can PM or answer here and I'll do my best to help. I'd love to see your bus sometime! I have so many mistake lessons you can learn from. lol
BassCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

ok, so I've go a 1990 IH Blue bird 36 pax which I'm thinking about turning into a camper/rv/tiny home, i would like to take out all the seats to maximize the space (105ftsq) but put in two bench seats with shoulder belts for the kids, i would like to keep it as simple as possible, i don't think ill hook up propane to a stove and I'm not going to add any holding tanks for water or sewage, I'm just going to use a portable potie.and ill get a large bottle of water for the sink? i would like to know if i need to get it inspected for regular road use, and what all i will have to do to the body? i have already painted over the "school bus" and disconnected the flashing stop lights, i really don't know what else i would have to do? right now the bus is just sitting in limbo, its going to be a slow time process, ill have to get some pics up on here soon.

thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpower891 View Post
Hey bob, my bus came from out of province so it needed an inspection. Instead of paying for a 2nd inspection once it qualifies as an RV, I've decided to start with the conversion. My bus is 2000 freightliner, 72 passanger. I'm planning on the back 10 feet being a flatdeck for ATV's, and the rest of it a camper. It'll probably take awhile. I'm not sure you'll have to paint over anything, and if you remove the stop sign the flashers are just hazard lights.

"The back ten feet" ....what type of ATV's sport or 4x4?
"Flat bed", are you side loading the ATV's?