Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #1

Newbie, advice on this cutaway?

Hello all, thank you in advance for taking the time to offer your sage advice! I'm a newbie to the forum and am looking to buy my first bus to convert into a camper for road trips (from Florida to Colorado, Maine, and Illinois at least). I've been watching the classifieds for a while now and have gone to look at a few cutaways, mostly to be disappointed. I went and looked at one yesterday that was pretty clean and drove well, but I think they're asking too much for it and I have some concerns. I just went through the first 30 pages of threads on here and some questions were answered but I'm still wondering if I should go back to the classifieds and take my time, which I think I should. It's a 2008 E450 that was used as an airport shuttle bus, the owner says it's a gas V10 but the VIN says it's a 4.6L V8. Other VIN facts are that it was built by Ford, hydraulic brakes, GVWR class 4, assembled in Ohio. Mileage is a concern, the owner and title say 160,000 or so but the odometer reads 81,000 or so (???). Engine size is a concern if its an 8, I assume that would mean really low MPG on long trips unless I sit at 50 mph, which I and my girlfriend would both have a really hard time sticking to. Rear AC blows cold, front doesn't blow at all. Could be as simple as a fuse, could be a bigger deal. The alternator needs replacing, but otherwise the engine is really clean, sounds smooth and runs well. Tires are decent, not new but don't need replacing yet. No rust, super clean undercarriage. Minor stuff inside (windows look like they may have some leaks, ceiling and dash need some pieces reattached). They want $6k for it. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg   03.jpg   05.jpg   06.jpg  

04.jpg  

rafftarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It has a cup holder. That qualifies it IMO.

That looks like a really nice bus. If you do some more reading here you'll find out why we don't generally like newer buses. That's a decent price for that year of bus, but there seems to be a number of repair issues mentioned. Don't assume the issues are an easy fix.

This is all about you and what you want to do with your bus. Each of us has a somewhat different use for our bus and we build them according to how we're going to use them. Only you know how you'll use your bus. You'll get plenty of suggestions here, but it's always your decision based on intended use and budget concerns.

Many of us like the mechanical engines as opposed to the computer controlled engines. This choice has a lot to do with your mechanical or electronic skills in dealing with your bus engine and transmission.