Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH Loadstar 1600
Engine: 345 v8
Ol 82 The IHC/Carpenter Shortie in progress

Ok so here is my story! As I have tons of school debt, and only work seasonally as a wild-land firefighter in Oregon (Plus construction jobs on the side here and there) I want to make this my home! Its been a thought in the back of my mind for a while, not necessarily a bus conversion, but a tiny home. So, no ****. My boss was looking up stuff on craigslist and found this gem. "How cool would that be!" he says half jokingly... Me... **** THAT'S AWESOME I WANT IT!!! (Wheels a churning on what I could turn it into!) Three or four days later...my only day off August through September, me and a buddy go check her out, I fall in love and BAM 1600 cash I own a school bus?!?! I couldn't, and still cant stop smiling every time I see it!

So happy I found this website. Been doing a lot of reading on everyone elses projects. Going to make this journey in building up 82 so much better. So thank you in advance for everyones help on all the various topics already talked about on this Forum, and answers/opinions coming down the road.

Cheers!

1978 International Harvester Loadstar 1600
Carpenter Bus Body
SV345 w/ Allison AT545 Auto

Headshot of 82 @ Home!

About to begin demo.

Seats coming out.

Seats Done, Rear heater out. Hosed out. Patched.
Paneling coming off. Need to figure out my windows now...

Roof panels coming down... almost.

Insulation didn't look half bad, I was surprised. I got a tip from Gerald at busparts.com (He worked on the assembly line for the Carpenters when this was built! Very Helpful.) Question, do you think I can successfully install my insulation with this method?? I think I just might, and save me the headache of putting those panels back up... any thoughts or experiences?

Has anyone used busparts.com? Gerald seemed like a stand-up guy.

Anywho that's it for now. Gotta sleep!

Trask

Trask97140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you really are going for the all metal look and feel, I'd just leave it as is.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Well not going to lie I do like the powder blue look. Haha. But that was a question I had. I was assuming that the interior metal sheeting was structural?? If that's not the case I may just go with a lighter (in weight) sheeting.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Its maybe .00001% structural. It totally isn't necessary and is a detriment to heating and cooling the interior with any degree of efficiency or success.
But for weekenders and part timers its probably ok just to leave it as is.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I was told just the opposite by a retired Blue Bird engineer. According to his read, the internal sheet metal played a critical role in the overall structural integrity.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I sense sarcasm EastCoastCB??? Or do you just like hiding under chairs and eating popcorn??? Haha. I plan on living in it, So ill check further into the subject. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Nah no sarcasm, just a touchy subject that everyone feels strongly about one way or another.
If you want to LIVE in it, there really isn't any reason to leave the metal ceilings in at all.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Fair enough. Understandable. I will be living in it, but for how long in one place is the question. In the summers I will be stationary for work, but the winter is my time for travel so I will be moving around a fair amount. Think?? I may just keep them in and go the better safe than sorry route...

I understand that the metal acts as a heatsink, Is the thought of leaving those metal panels up and insulating really a complete waste of time/money in your opinion?

Wont get to work on the bus for a couple weeks... makes me sad... at least it gives me time to look at everyone else's builds!

Trask
Old 10-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Congrats on finding your new bus! Next time you're in the bus, can you tell me the inside length, say, from behind the driver to the back? This size bus strikes me as the likely length of bus I will look for. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Canned Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Crude blueprint of inside measurements. But should work for you.

Trask
Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
What Tango said, and I'll add it's all about boxes and triangles. On the other hand, if you don't plan to drive it, then no problem--scrap the inside steel and simplify your build out.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I'll be keeping the inside steel to be safe. Going to try and insulate/buffer to reduce heat transfer. Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated. Now I just need some free time.

Cheers
Trask
Old 10-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
The biggest advantage to removing the steel is that you can replace the fiberglass with more effective insulation and save 1.5 or so inches of headroom.

Ive pulled the inside skins of many buses and never worried about losing strength. Skoolies are overbuilt, and loosing the inner steel shouldn't ever be a problem. Ive replaced the steel with wood strapping for my ceiling frame and spray foamed over that. My roof is without a doubt more stout and rigid than stock now.

Lots of opinions on here. If you want to be warm, id ditch the ceiling.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trask97140 View Post
Crude blueprint of inside measurements. But should work for you.

Trask

Thanks, that's perfect!
Canned Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:15 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome, glad it helped Ham.

No physical changes to the bus, nooooooo time. but I did get this beauty in the mail... officially registered with the state of Oregon as a motor home now!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #16

Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
I'm dying to see an update on your bus. I have almost the same bus. Mine is a 1978 IH Loadstar 1700 with Carpenter body.
schoolbusbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

That's awesome schoolbusbliss! Are you in the process of converting?? Long shot, but have you found any sort of manual/blue prints/wiring diagram for the Carpenter body?

Very little progress. My winter plans of build the bus... became a road trip through Nevada/Utah and some scuba diving in Nicaragua... (I cant complain!)

I did get a free set of new 22.5" Rims/Tires for the front end, replacing my old 20" tube style. Ive also gathered up new marker, signal, and brake lights of the original variety. I couldn't stray from the classic look... I like it to much. Next 2-3 weeks I plan to remove windows, black out back three on both sides with 16g cold rolled steel. Order up windows for the remaining five and hopefully get them installed so I can take the bus on its first road-trip up into BC/Alberta with a friend!

Ill get some picks up when I get to working. Weather here in Oregon has been terrible...

Cheers!

Trask
Old 03-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: E-Super Duty
Engine: Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 13-passenger
This bus is a tank. I love it.
I don't think you need to worry about your interior. Heating won't be as efficient if you keep it, but it's a tiny bus, it won't take much heat anyway. The structure might not be as strong if you get rid of it, but with the short wheelbase this bus is super stout anyway.
Do whatever you want.

I will say, if you don't like it with the metal, you can always change it later. Putting the metal back in is not so easy.
sproutroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I love it as well

Im actually going to use the interior roof sheeting for my exterior window covering. At least two sheets of it. They are just long enough to cover the back three windows on both sides. My plan is to eventually closed cell spray foam the interior. That will add any lost structural integrity. And like you said its a lil brick **** house anyways.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #20

Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Unhappy

Hey, I just noticed that you asked me a question.

All I have done so far is get the seats and rubber flooring out. I am going to convert mine into a weekend camper. It will be super basic to start with. I'll put in new flooring and just camp in it like that for a while before I decide what else to do with it. But the interior metal will probably all stay.

It is about to be used as a moving truck and then put into storage while I stay with my in-laws and look for a house to buy. So I won't get to work on it for a while . Also hoping to get some new wheels and tires for it eventually. Anything new going on with your bus, Trask?
schoolbusbliss is offline   Reply With Quote