Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 11:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Order of operations

I keep getting lost on the conversion order and I’m afraid I’ll end up having to redo something if I’ve missed a step. I have my floors framed out at the moment. Do I insulate and cover up the whole floor before figuring out the shower/shower pan? Am I supposed to just cut the floor and insulation when it’s time to install the shower? Or do I leave that area uninsulated underneath? Do I frame the walls before laying down the final layer of plywood flooring?

Sorry if their stupid questions, working with no experience here.

Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
What’s your shower pan?

Is there anything you want to install in the floor before you close it up? There’s pros and cons to doing that but you have the possibility of running electrical conduit or PEX water pipe in there for instance. If not, then just cover it up. When it’s time to install the drain for the shower you’ll just use a hole saw to cut the hole.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Aerotech
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 6.8/415 Ford
You would want to plan your shower and toilet seat location before you cover or frame any floor in that area. Do you have a plan for that area? any current photos of the area? Post what you have.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I personally did all my subfloor first. Replaced all my plywood with a thin layer of foam in between two sheets of 3/4” plywood. I installed a one piece shower in mine and worked around it. Any drilling had to go through all the plywood, except the shower. I did not install my flooring until the very last thing. Most folks seem to install their flooring first and cover the entire floor of the bus. I would imagine it’s all up to the individual. Don’t stress, you are going to make a few mistakes along the way. It’s inevitable. If you are any kind of thinker, you will change your mind. Use a lot of screws. It makes it easier to remove something. And oh yeah, howdy neighbor!!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You want your insulation to cover your whole floor, with the shower pan sitting above that. You would have one extremely cold shower pan in winter if it were placed directly on the steel floor. You do have to think ahead of time about where the drain pipe is going to run.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC CE300
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Agree with Phatman : final flooring should come last if vinyl or wood planks : due to higher temperature and moiture variation than in a house, there will be significant flooring expansion and contraction over time. So if you keep your top flooring "float" above your subfloor you will not have any gaps or buckling happening. Leave 1/4" on edges, and finish with baseboards nailed or screwed to the vertical sides, NOT to the floor. In addition, if you have a tear or decide to change your flooring, it will be a piece of cake.
Seb1 is offline   Reply With Quote