Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
When the speed limit was 55, going slow wasn't so bad.
When the speed limit is 65, and people are doing 75-80 (as they do) a slow vehicle creates a hazard as people start to pass. Sure YOU are safe in your bus, but THEY are the hazard.
I was pulled over in S.Carolina once for doing 65MPH in a 65MPH zone. The traffic was doing 75 around me, but a cop pulled onto the highway directly behind me, and I respected the law. He thought I was a drunk driver (I was sober and he let me go with little contact - it was an illegal stop!). I told him in total shock, laughing "I was just trying to obey the law as you followed behind me at 1 car length for 20 miles..." My bet it was my bumper sticker he didn't like. He was a good-ol-boy kinda...

And yes, I was causing a bottleneck and hazard at rush hour on a busy two-lane interstate.

Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
When the speed limit is 65, and people are doing 75-80 (as they do) a slow vehicle creates a hazard as people start to pass. Sure YOU are safe in your bus, but THEY are the hazard.
I was pulled over in S.Carolina once for doing 65MPH in a 65MPH zone. The traffic was doing 75 around me, but a cop pulled onto the highway directly behind me, and I respected the law. He thought I was a drunk driver (I was sober and he let me go with little contact - it was an illegal stop!). I told him in total shock, laughing "I was just trying to obey the law as you followed behind me at 1 car length for 20 miles..." My bet it was my bumper sticker he didn't like. He was a good-ol-boy kinda...

And yes, I was causing a bottleneck and hazard at rush hour on a busy two-lane interstate.
my cousin was ticketed for impeding traffic - he was doing almost the speed limit during rush hour, and like your post mentioned, the rest of the traffic was doing well over the speed limit
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

So what bumper sticker was it?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International, Thomas Built
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke, 3800 T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Not trying to be a smartA, but why does everyone insist on their bus doing 65-70 mph up hill? Why the hurry? An RV/bus seems to me like the wrong vehicle to get in a hurry in. Something that I am missing? Is it a status thing? Am I just getting too old? I mean, I liked to go fast when I was young, but then I was racing a 1968 Camaro (396, 4 sp, positrac, blueprinted, with addon headers, aluminum intake, big carb, bla, bla), but a schoolbus? I think I would rather just enjoy the ride and let a few cars pass me.

Now the 4x4 conversion I can understand. I have a 1989 P30 with a 454 engine, 5-6 mpg, auto, low geared rearend, aluminum body, pocket doors up front, rollup back door, 7' ceiling and 30" loading/floor height, 18' behind the drivers seat, 10' tall, 14,100 lb GVW, FedEx looking, mess. I hope that the guy doing the 4x4 conversion will do a build thread on the 4x4 conversion - If I read that part right. I'd like to convert mine to off road and maybe a diesel (4BT?) despite the crappy departure angle (maybe an air lift suspension?) if I could find the money. Oddly enough, my bus is 5' longer but will do a much sharper u turn on city streets than the P30.
I don’t think your being a smart ass at all haha, I would wonder the same thing, and the main reason is just so I know I can do that if I have to. Doesn’t necessarily mean I am going to do 70 on every trip. There is lots to see on the way to destinations and I’d like to not miss everything just cause I’m too concentrated on not crashing at that speed. If I know I can reach those speeds on a flat road, I know I won’t be holding anyone up on the hills.

As for the conversion of to 4x4, I chose this particular bus not cause of its dashing good looks but cause it’s going to be easier to convert. Not too much modifications needed, only thing would be if the transmission is worth throwing on a transfer case. Yes, I know it’s not just throwing one on, but wether or not the transmission is strong enough. If it’s an Allison, I’m good, just a little upgrading needed. I will start a thread on the build, just know the inside will be done first.

Go for your build! I’d just think a 4bt will not be sufficient enough, and for the price tag, you could find yourself a solid used 6bt. I bet you can even get some money for that 454 if you find a 6bt at a junkyard.
mick_sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Not trying to be a smartA, but why does everyone insist on their bus doing 65-70 mph up hill? Why the hurry? An RV/bus seems to me like the wrong vehicle to get in a hurry in. Something that I am missing? Is it a status thing? Am I just getting too old? I mean, I liked to go fast when I was young, but then I was racing a 1968 Camaro (396, 4 sp, positrac, blueprinted, with addon headers, aluminum intake, big carb, bla, bla), but a schoolbus? I think I would rather just enjoy the ride and let a few cars pass me.

Because around here, if you're NOT doing at least 60, you're a hazzard to other motorists. 65 is really better. The roads around here are crowded, narrow, and there's no such thing as the "truck lane" where you can pull over and do the best you can going up the hill. You're just a giant target in the entrance/exit lane of the highway.

And, as other people have said, it's nice to know that the bus CAN do the speed if needed - weather or not you actually choose to go that fast.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:

Yea, what bumper sticker was it?

I get it, if everybody else is acting stupid then I should be a good little sheep and do it too. I like their logic, after all a cop/wolf can only get one of them at a time in his speed trap, but this way all of them can run off the cliff at the same time. When the cop pulls over one of the speeders, if they try that excuse "slow vehicle creates a hazard as people start to pass", it flys right out the window. How did the vehicle staying within the min-max speed limits become so slow as to be a hazard? Tell it to the judge. Judge is going to say "No, it's you going too fast that is creating a hazard"

BS. Stupid is as stupid does still applies.

That said, I also think it is a good idea to stay out of the way of large heavy vehicles and would appreciate it if they, at least, stayed within the speed limits. Don't you?

During my 53 years driving on public roads I have come to accept the fact that even though I like going fast I am going to have to slow down occasionally for a slow vehicle and I have seen a few accidents that involved a slow vehicle, but almost all of them also involved a fast or impatient driver too.

I certainly don't want to be so slow as to be in the way (I don't like broke down vehicles either, or accidents blocking traffic, but???) but I think that fast driving is much more hazardous and I think that the majority of people drive faster than the are competent at. I believe that incompetent drivers and inconsiderate drivers in a false hurry (probably because they left too late - poor planning or just impatient) cause the majority of accidents, not the obvious bottleneck or slow vehicle which is easy to dodge. Long story short, I don't buy that excuse - a whole lot of wrongs still don't make a right. But I will agree that a whole lot of wrongs can be dangerous and that they will shift all of the blame that they can get away with.

I thought it was always rush hour on the interstates.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_sal View Post
I don’t think your being a smart ass at all haha, I would wonder the same thing, and the main reason is just so I know I can do that if I have to. Doesn’t necessarily mean I am going to do 70 on every trip. There is lots to see on the way to destinations and I’d like to not miss everything just cause I’m too concentrated on not crashing at that speed. If I know I can reach those speeds on a flat road, I know I won’t be holding anyone up on the hills.

As for the conversion of to 4x4, I chose this particular bus not cause of its dashing good looks but cause it’s going to be easier to convert. Not too much modifications needed, only thing would be if the transmission is worth throwing on a transfer case. Yes, I know it’s not just throwing one on, but wether or not the transmission is strong enough. If it’s an Allison, I’m good, just a little upgrading needed. I will start a thread on the build, just know the inside will be done first.

Go for your build! I’d just think a 4bt will not be sufficient enough, and for the price tag, you could find yourself a solid used 6bt. I bet you can even get some money for that 454 if you find a 6bt at a junkyard.

Looking forward to watching your build. Was thinking the 4bt would be cheaper, better for mileage, and significantly lighter but you are probably right. I don't know much about diesels. If I could find a 5.9 to match the one in my 93 bus then it would be easier on stocking/swapping parts and a shorter learning curve.

I am in the Mohave desert between Kingman, AZ and Las Vegas, NV. Are you anywhere close?
Old 05-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Looking forward to watching your build. Was thinking the 4bt would be cheaper, better for mileage, and significantly lighter but you are probably right. I don't know much about diesels. If I could find a 5.9 to match the one in my 93 bus then it would be easier on stocking/swapping parts and a shorter learning curve.

I am in the Mohave desert between Kingman, AZ and Las Vegas, NV. Are you anywhere close?
I lived for some years in the Bullhead/Laughlin area. Found out that I am NOT desert rat material.........
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Reason why I say the 6bt is because of the weight of your rig. You may end up getting worse gas mileage with less power, because you weigh so much for that 4bt engine. I’ll put it to you like this, my 4door long bed Dodge that has the 6bt weighs about 8500lbs. I can load about 4000lbs to 5000lbs in the bed, then load my dual axle trailer to about 10000lbs and still get 12mpg-14mpg depending on wind speed and direction. And it has 311000miles on it. Just going to be more reliable and consistent in travels. That 4bt would definitely have trouble in many areas. Another thing, I know of 4bt’s going into Ford Rangers rather than anything full size or larger. Just food for thought, but I love the direction you want to go. Another thing I just thought of, the driveterrain you have, may be partially compatible with a 6bt and conversion may be easier than the 4bt, just thinking out loud. Foood for thought...

I live in Texas, pretty much the furthest south you can go haha.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:23 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_sal View Post
Reason why I say the 6bt is because of the weight of your rig. You may end up getting worse gas mileage with less power, because you weigh so much for that 4bt engine. I’ll put it to you like this, my 4door long bed Dodge that has the 6bt weighs about 8500lbs. I can load about 4000lbs to 5000lbs in the bed, then load my dual axle trailer to about 10000lbs and still get 12mpg-14mpg depending on wind speed and direction. And it has 311000miles on it. Just going to be more reliable and consistent in travels. That 4bt would definitely have trouble in many areas. Another thing, I know of 4bt’s going into Ford Rangers rather than anything full size or larger. Just food for thought, but I love the direction you want to go. Another thing I just thought of, the driveterrain you have, may be partially compatible with a 6bt and conversion may be easier than the 4bt, just thinking out loud. Foood for thought...

I live in Texas, pretty much the furthest south you can go haha.

12-14 mpg would be a dream to me. What is the rear end gear ratio of your Dodge?

You live in Brownsville or El Paso? Both are a long way from me.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #51
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I lived for some years in the Bullhead/Laughlin area. Found out that I am NOT desert rat material.........

So you went from the land of little rain to the land of eternal rain?

Are you calling me a desert rat?.... LOL
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddgracer View Post
my goal is to not be the guy holding up the volkswagen hippie van on that long hill going over the mountain passes - lol
roflmfao!!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #53
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
"I don't even have a garage! You can call home an' ask my wifr."

Quote:

My bet it was my bumper sticker he didn't like. He was a good-ol-boy kinda...
And what did said sticker declaim, pray tell?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #54
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
Well. . .I don't own one (yet.)

But- I DID get to see it, and I love the size. It doesn't feel as big as even a short full-size bus, and the headroom was GREAT (Easily 6'2" or 6'3").

On the plus side, I did wander around their lot a little bit, and I think I can solidly rule out a cutaway/van chasis bus. They're too short for what I want to do. I also looked at an 8-window CE2000 - I think something like that would work, but boy does it feel BIG standing next to it. A 5-window might do quite well though. . . .
These statements are not consistent with themselves. I have a 5 window van based chassis and it has 6'4" of head room. What is too short 5 window to 5 window?
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
12-14 mpg would be a dream to me. What is the rear end gear ratio of your Dodge?

You live in Brownsville or El Paso? Both are a long way from me.

I am actually from McAllen, about an hour west of Brownsville. El Paso is much further north, round about 10-11hrs north.

My gear ration is 3.73.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:28 AM   #56
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd View Post
These statements are not consistent with themselves. I have a 5 window van based chassis and it has 6'4" of head room. What is too short 5 window to 5 window?

I should have clarified, the van chassis I saw were too short lengthwise.
(The P30 is at least 2 - 3 feet longer.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
my goal is to not be the guy holding up the Volkswagen hippie van on that long hill going over the mountain passes - lol

Appreciate that being as I might be the guy in that "Volkswagen hippie van"
Old 01-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Update...

For those that have been part of or look through this thread, here is an update.
I traveled 5 and a half hours to Houston to catch a plane to New Jersey for this bus. While waiting for my flight, I got a call from the dealer about some bad news. He said he had the bus checked out the day before my travel and found out the differential is needing repair. I purchased the bus almost a month in advance of my travel date because I had to schedule my PTO from work. My plan was to drive the bus back home and they knew that when I inquired, said it ran perfectly at that time. Had to make a split second decision to either take a gamble or cancel everything. I ended up cancelling, so I was out 11hrs of travel expenses and a non refundable one way flight. I got all my money back from them and decided to settle for something locally, which honestly was the better bet. I just loved the look of the P30, plus would have been easier to do suspension work on versus a “freight liner” chassis. Not surprising, the bus is still up for sale on their site. Here is the link...all photos and description seem to be the same from when I inquired about it.
https://www.busesforsale.com/bus/9034-2001BluebirdWorkhorse?v=2
I ended up getting a 22-23ft 5 window Thomas with the T444 engine. I’ll post photos and videos of the build once I overcome the fear of being in front of a camera.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Consider the lost airfare the cost of education in buying buses. You were wise to cancel. Chances are good you would have been upset with how much rust you would deal with on a used NJ bus. You're probably much better off with a bus from your area.
The link is for the bus you walked on? You dodged a bullet on that one
Whoa, they are asking $8 for that? Way over priced, those can be had all day long for less than half that price.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
P30s are like Vistas, they're low budget ugly buses and nobody should pay more than $1500 for one. Rust state ones are scrap tier.

They're not any "easier" to work on than a "freightliner" style bus. It's still a bus.

If you're in Texas don't even waste your time looking at buses on the East coast, that's literally the worst part of the country to buy a bus in. Go look in AZ/NV/NM where you'll actually get something that's rust free and decent spec for a quarter of the asking price of that scrap pile in NJ.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote