Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: ?
Hi there Vintageracer. THANKS SO MUCH for you sort of optimistic reply. The bus has no body work and the paint still looks really good. However, i have no personal experience with this process. And, of course, that makes all the difference. I do believe that i am a pretty quick study with most things, but experience is experience. I will continue my research and weigh out all of the options, but so appreciate some positive words about vinyl wraps. Thanks again, Elizabeth.

Buster Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #22
Skoolie

Hi there Brdfrd...yep...raining on my parade, bursting my bubble, pooping on my plans...
Thank you for helping me really think this through. I have read a bunch on vinyl over the many rivets and it is definitely a big concern. And your own personal experience with this sort of application weighs heavily on the value of your opinion. Thanks so much for you input. Elizabeth.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #23
Skoolie

Hi there Mopedbusclub. I have never done any kind of vinyl work, but was feeling confident until some good feedback. Now questioning that direction big time. I did paint a couple of cars in my day, and they came out great. However, first and foremost, that was about 35 years ago. I had much more energy and stamina. Additionally, i clearly remember the many hours of prep and wet sanding post spray for the lacquer paint job. Shined like a mirror but rediculous labor. And that was a car!!! I know things are different know, but i guess i was actually thinking that the wrap would be easier than the paint job. Definitely need to continue doing my homework. Thanks for your input, Elizabeth.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...cture25447.jpg

Way back when, I did used to spray paint tractor hoods on my job. Long time ago. A whole bus seemed to be pretty intimidating, as well as expensive, and I could not just decide on a color. I am actually going for the "tiny house" rather than RV, so for a few gallons of Rustoleum and getting up the nerve, (It's only paint) my sister and I got busy. Going for a log cabin look.... Ran out of nice weather, but we got enough painted to license it, and will finish next spring.
dustyroadspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #25
Skoolie

Dustyroadspony........AMAZING!!!!! Exactly the kind of thing we are looking for!!! I saw a bus with a log cabin wrap and was in love with it and that is what started the whole wrap thing. Except it was a custom wrap and the closest i can find is just wood grain vinyl, not log wood. We have a small log cabin in upstate NY and thought a log bus wood be fun. Back to your amazing bus. So to fully understand, you are hand paintng this? If so, are you an artist?
Old 01-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! I had kicked the idea around for a while, stepdad tried Very hard to talk me out of it! It was a bit intimidating to put those first brush strokes on, and I imagine I will be "perfecting" it for a long time. BUT, this will allow me to make whatever changes I need to do in future, and just keep on painting. No major paint matches, etc. I would say I am artistic, but not an artist. I did see a food truck painted to look like a "chuckwagon" by a local airbrush artist, but I can't afford him and haven't mastered the airbrush, yet, lol. I did buy a roll of wallpaper with the log look, and that helped get my nerve up. But, in the end, it's just paint. If you don't like it, try again.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #27
Skoolie

Now you can officially call yourself an artist!!! Could you please tell me what your prep protocol was. And did you do everything solid dark brown like the roof, and then add the lighter stripes for chink lines, etc... Seriously considering something like this, if i can talk my wife into it! Financially we may not have much choice in the matter. She wants to hand it off to someone and poof. But the estimates wont allow that so far. So we just keep on plugging away at the interior for now.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! Yes, I did the prep, sanding, cleaning, etc. Still have some rust repairs to do on the back door so I haven't painted it yet. Started with the dark brown, then layered lighter browns. Taped off the chink lines and painted them. Then came back in with some black, some green, some burgundy... just layering in some details. Just having fun with it, even painted a window box on the handicap door, with flowers. Not sure I have a pic of that yet, it's all very much a work in progress. Just have fun with it!
As for vinyl wrap, my own experience is that just decals are hard enough!
Old 01-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #29
Skoolie

Looks even better close up. Thanks for the idea. Will keep you posted.

Tags
not yellow, paint job, spring is coming, vinyl wrap, you can do it