Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Payload and build weight

So I know that the curb weight and gvwr for the cutaway chassis don’t leave much payload capacity for a build, maybe 4-8 thousand lbs? Is that plenty for a full time boondocking build? How much does your build come to weight wise? I can calculate the weight of water tanks and guess at some accessories I may end up with, but before I start making spreadsheets, I’d just like to get rough estimates of what y’alls builds weigh when dry (empty water and auxiliary fuel tanks)thx!

Tawdbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
4-8 thousand lbs. is a lot. I don't see a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawdbb View Post
So I know that the curb weight and gvwr for the cutaway chassis don’t leave much payload capacity for a build, maybe 4-8 thousand lbs? Is that plenty for a full time boondocking build? How much does your build come to weight wise? I can calculate the weight of water tanks and guess at some accessories I may end up with, but before I start making spreadsheets, I’d just like to get rough estimates of what y’alls builds weigh when dry (empty water and auxiliary fuel tanks)thx!
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
That 8000#s you talk about would be equivalent to 90 wet third graders. How long is your bus? Is it actually a cutaway as in van cab with bus tacked on back or is it a dog nose on a heavy duty truck frame? What is the GVW and the CGVW per the factory? What does the bus actually weigh? Even 4000#s is a lot of stuff. As an example My bus is 22' long and is a dog nose. It is fully self contained and weighs in at 9,820#s. Empty (before build out and without the school bus body) it weighed 5,860 #s. It's GVW is 12,000 #s, CGVW 18,000#s. So my complete build out including the body is only 3,960 #s.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I pulled the payload #’s from a website and I’m not sure it includes the bus body or not. I don’t have a bus yet, I’m shopping. It seems like 3-4000# is pretty standard payload for a cutaway bus from what I’ve seen on other’s busses. Given the dry weight close to 4000# of your build, that would be much too close for comfort the the max GVWR of most cutaways
Tawdbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: 6.5L Turbo
We have a 4 window cab and chassis and the rated GVWR is 10,000# After our build, water, fuel, wood build out, 4 bikes, 3 solar panels, 2 kayaks, we weighed around 9500#. Our GVWR is with load D tires and we run load E tires. We didn't really exercise much caution to weight when we built and we feel pretty good driving down the road.
Married couple full-timing in the American West-April 2018
zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote