Old 11-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #1

Please check out my floor plans!!

Hello,

I'm in college right now and currently do not have the money to buy a short bus, but for my senior project (I'm a graphic design major) I'm looking into designing my ideal bus conversion in the $20,000 price range not including the cost of the bus. I plan on gutting a bus extremely similar to a Ford E-450 TurtleTop Terra Transit. I have my floor plans and side views attached as well as the dimensions and reference pictures of the bus I based my design off of. I know I will need to change and tweak spacing depending on what bus I buy, but for this projects sake I had to base it off of a floor plan I could find online. I will be creating 3D rendering of the space to make it more digestible. Before I do that, I was hoping I could get feedback from you guys since you have lived in a bus and know what will and won't be smart space wise! My one question/issue I have right now is how to secure modular furniture that I plan to move around like the couch/dining table/seating areas! Has anyone used tracking? Any other feedback would be helpful too. Thank you! overview.jpg

sideviewleft.jpg

sideviewright.jpg

side view.jpg

back.jpg

Artboard 1.jpg
jgarl379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar T444e
Rated Cap: 24
It's fun to make floor plans ahead of purchase. But once you have the bus in front of you, you'll realize that much of what you thought was doable was not. Our floor planning has been a constantly evolving iterative process, dictated more by where things have to go than where we'd like them. For example, where can drains drop w/o hitting under-body framing/wires/etc, where can wiring be run, what has to fit over a wheel hump, and what can't?

I'm not saying you're wasting your time. All the time & effort you've put into this will inform your future decisions, as well as keep your dream alive & thriving! Just be warned that a LOT is likely to change ;)
Old 11-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
It's fun to make floor plans ahead of purchase. But once you have the bus in front of you, you'll realize that much of what you thought was doable was not. Our floor planning has been a constantly evolving iterative process, dictated more by where things have to go than where we'd like them. For example, where can drains drop w/o hitting under-body framing/wires/etc, where can wiring be run, what has to fit over a wheel hump, and what can't?

I'm not saying you're wasting your time. All the time & effort you've put into this will inform your future decisions, as well as keep your dream alive & thriving! Just be warned that a LOT is likely to change ;)

OP, read this post...then read it again. Every word of it is the gospel truth! At least according to my experience.

A floor plan is both necessary and fun, but plan on it changing and evolving based on conditions in the field. That, to us at least, was a really fun challenge and really helped create a tailor-made bus that still overwhelms us when we realize we actually get to live in this thing! Your budget is totally reasonable. As far as securing furniture, it it's just for when you're moving you could probably use strategically-placed D-rings or other attachment hardware mounted on the wall or floor. Take a look at some RVs, especially toy hauler travel trailers, for some ideas.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
You’ll find that the plumbing will have the greatest influence on your layout. Particularly holding tanks. This is especially true with smaller vehicles. Exhaust, running gear, suspension and the like take up a lot of room under a bus
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Why not put the bathroom (with its walls and door) behind the driver's seat? Along with the kitchen? That way, the visual "weight" of the bathroom and driver's seat is on one side, and then it opens up and is more "airy" on the same side as your bus door. When you pull up to places and have a picnic table just outside your bus door, it seems a better aesthetic to have that side open up to the outside more.

That's what I did, although it also had to do with plumbing. I wanted to put my water pump and hardware under the steps, which meant the fresh tank had to go on the passenger side and the grey tank under the driver's side... and since it's easier to run a 1/2" pex line through the floor than a 1.5" drain pipe, I put the sink and bathroom directly above the grey tank so it just drains straight down.

Great idea though, this is the most fun part of the conversion
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
havent had the opportunity to play with tracking or its accessories yet?
i have had many an experience with unistrut systems and all of the many available options.
maybe a common base rail on each side and spring nuts that fit in the strut and just release the bolt tension on the strut and slide it where you want it.
probably have to use angle brackets to mount the bolt to the furniture to secure it to unistrut spring nut.
look up HILTI unistrut(engineering support/design) systems and because they are expensive find what you think will work with your ideas then go to any commercial plumbing HVAC,PLUMBING or ELECTRICAL supply house and get the stuff at half the price of HILTI.
electrical place might call it KENDORF strut
plumbing place might say Gstrut
a commercial HVAC or Fire Sprinkler supplier will know Uni-strut)then the guage of the strut 12 guage,,14 guage?
the lower the number the thicker the metal for everything sheetmetal.

below 12 guage you get into raw steel make what you need or want territory.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor plan, floor plans, short bus conversion