Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Engine: 6.2 Detroit
Poorboy toy hauler/camper

Last weekend I finally found a bus I liked for a decent price and local to me after messaging the seller I went to look at it Monday night and was able to go pick it up Tuesday afternoon. It's a 1990 g30 with a 6.2 Detroit.

After putting a belt on and about an hour of trying to get it to start ( it had been sitting for awhile) I talked them down to 800 dollars and drove it the 30 miles home.

Me and my whole family drag race at a track about two and a half hours away from us. Last year I started racing my grandpas el Camino and was immediately hooked. We had it running low 11s by the end of year. By the end of the season I wanted to do something different for next season and decided I wanted to build a motorcycle to race.

While I thought this was a great Idea my girlfriend did not quite agree. She goes to every race with me and we stay two nights on a air mattress In a enclosed trailer. So after a lot of sweet talking from me and a promise that by the start of the next season I would have something we could have a real bed in and a toilet to take to the races I got her to accept that I was going to race a motorcycle lol.

So my plan for the bus is pretty simple to make a small bathroom and a bed that folds into a couch. Leaving as much space as possible open to haul the motorcycle.

I'm extremely excited for this project it's about all I can think about or talk about since I got it. I will be posting some updates on my progress tomorrow.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Double post
Old 01-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I know you've already got one...
But, this is near me
60 passenger school/party bus/ Harley hauler

Stripper pole included
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Lol that's a cool start to a conversion, can't believe I didn't see that one on my daily searches on my craigslist app. Tulsa is even set up in my regular search. Wish I had the space and funds for two conversions
Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Sounds like how I got started. Went from drag racing a bike and traveling in a van-to building a faster bike + traveling in a cube van. To racing a (small) car out of the back of the cube van-to getting a trailer + building a bus to have a better bed-heat-bathroom etc. Keeping momma happy is a hi priority.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I can agree to that last statement lol. What kind of drag bikes and cars did you have? I got a 90s 600cc Suzuki bandit to race this year ( traded a basket case BMW project for it and got a spare motor for cheap) but in the next few years I want to either build a old school small tire drag bike or a front engine dragster. It's cool to see another drag racer on here
Old 01-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I can agree to that last statement lol. What kind of drag bikes and cars did you have? I got a 90s 600cc Suzuki bandit to race this year ( traded a basket case BMW project for it and got a spare motor for cheap) but in the next few years I want to either build a old school small tire drag bike or a front engine dragster. It's cool to see another drag racer on here
This was my Yamaha FJ. Best time 8.83 @ 152 mph.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Oh wow i remember the FJs. A extra tall guy we rode with in SLC named Paul rode one. Fastest bike in the pack! Nice 8.83!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Hells yeah to another bike-bus! Good luck. Check out my e450 bike hauler!

Good luck and welcome to skool!! It's fun.
Sceep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

That's awesome I would really like to build a wheelie bar bike someday just to be different from all the crotch rocket guys at my local track.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Today was a pretty productive day I got paint and flooring for the inside of the bus and I was able to take out the old carpet and the girlfriend painted while I wired in some 12v lighting.

Some pics of the inside when we got the bus

Some pics of the new paint on the side walls

I mostly will be working on the bus during the night so was racking my brain on what kind of 12v lights I would put in when I came across a set of off-road led flood lights that I had sitting in my toolbox. So wired them up and mounted them in the middle of the bus thinking it would be a temporary solution while I was working on the bus. But I hooked them up and was extremely impressed with how well they lit up the bus and how decent the looked in there I think they will stay permanently.

They are definitely a huge improvement over the stock lights by themselves you couldn't even see the floor at night.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceep View Post
Hells yeah to another bike-bus! Good luck. Check out my e450 bike hauler!

Good luck and welcome to skool!! It's fun.
I like your bus I was hoping to find one the size of yours with the side entrance but couldn't resist this one when I found it local and cheap. I really like your fuel jug holder on the back of your bus I might have to steal that idea lol.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I like your bus I was hoping to find one the size of yours with the side entrance but couldn't resist this one when I found it local and cheap. I really like your fuel jug holder on the back of your bus I might have to steal that idea lol.

Cheap is good!

Steal it. Everything I create (outside the office) is open-source. ;) Take it, use it. Keep the girls happy.
Sceep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Got some more paint up

Also I took it to my work and put it on the lift and checked everything over did a oil change. And today I pulled a black water tank out of a junk rv for it.

I was planning on using a portable toilet in there but my grandpa had this one on a rv he is scrapping so I got it for free just had to pull it out. (That made for a fun afternoon lol)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Finally got some progress done on the bus, I got the black water tank mounted up and the toilet installed. Also got a good chunk of the flooring down just have to figure out how I'm going to route my vent pipe out of the bus and get some fittings and pipe for that.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:10 AM   #16
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Is there enough strapping to hold that tank when it's full of....black water? It will be heavy...and messy.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I plan on adding a few more straps in just to be safe ( I think this is one of those situations that I would rather be safe than sorry lol). I think with a few more straps it ought to be good enough.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
I plan on adding a few more straps in just to be safe ( I think this is one of those situations that I would rather be safe than sorry lol). I think with a few more straps it ought to be good enough.
Also, might want to place a piece of old bike inner-tube or rubber between the tank and strapping, prevent chafing a hole in that most unpleasant tank.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

That's a good idea i will have to incorporate it when I add the other straps in. Thank you