Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2023, 07:56 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
possible passenger registration?

hello everybody,
so ive been doing some homework.
State farm ins would not insure my 4 window short bus as a RV.
Oregon DMV will not change it to a RV because there is no plumbing & stove.
it is currently registered as commercial with commercial insurance.

so i did some diggin and found that:
" non-commercial buses with a registration weight of 10,000 pounds or less get a passenger registration "

i went to the DMV to ask. it took the guy awhile but he found it and said i can do a " change of class " and it would be registered as a passenger vehicle. ( even though all the seats are removed and it has a bed. he said it should be ok ? )
probably depends on the inspector?

he said fill out this form and come back with a weight certificate & the bus for inspection.

i think that would be cool. regular registration? regular insurance & no need for AAA RV roadside assistance? regular AAA should work?

has anybody ever came across this situation?

when i am done bullet proofing my motor i will try?

thanks in advance!

Old 03-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
That's exactly what we do in California with buses, to remove the commercial classification. The optional step is to convert it to an RV (which requires one more paper form). I think most people go from commercial to non-commercial RV rather than commercial to non-commercial ('passenger').

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...icense-plates/

It helps to think of the entry doors to your local DMV as a portal to a parallel universe, randomly generated, where the same question gets a unique different answer.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:49 PM   #3
Skoolie

Ya i used to pack a lunch when i went to California DMV LOL!

i went to Ca DMV one time to simply change a VIN on a custom motorcycle title cuz i switched frames. she said " you cant do that " it has to be registered as a whole new bike.

i went a week later and another girl said " no problem " heres the paperwork take it around back for inspection!

so its like pot-luck you never know what your gonna get LOL!

cant do RV class cuz i dont have plumbing and a permanent stove.

wich is fine cuz i dont wanna winterize. i like to " get in & go "
lighter bus = better gas mileage and better on the motor.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:19 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Roughneck View Post
i think that would be cool. regular registration? regular insurance & no need for AAA RV roadside assistance? regular AAA should work?

Not so sure about AAA. We do have the super duper (grandfathered) Premium RV and they tried to tell us they wouldn't tow our F350 (our tow rig) because it was "commercial" even though it had non commercial (private) plates. Their "reasoning" was that because it had a low profile utility body on it (since new at the up builder) it was "modified" and they also don't haul modified vehicles.
SO.... you might get them to tow you but expect that they'll piss and moan and try to tell you you're not covered because it's a commercial vehicle or modified or whatever else they can think of.

WE ARE NOT happy with AAA because of that. I suspect telling them that our approx 12,000 subscribers (yeah I know not that many) would be told all about their BS got them to reconsider. We ended up solving the problem on our own with the help of a nice couple that drove me into town for the stuff needed to fix the situation on the road.

DO NOT ASSUME AAA HAS YOUR BACK
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:59 PM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 30 + 2 WC
As far as I know, Coachnet.net is the only ones that will provide roadside insurance to bus conversions. They should cover towables and trucks as well
skoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:11 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

To get the passenger rating, it cannot have seats, pretty much.

To get the RV rating, you just need minimal equipment. A bed, a sink however basic, and a cassette toilet or DIY composting toilet. The standards are not high, as far as I can see.

I know you said your insurance won't cover an RV, but it's worth noting getting RV status isn't very tough.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:05 PM   #7
Skoolie

AAA in california is different in Oregon for some reason?

in Ca i had to get the RV package for my motorcycles.

in Or. motorcycles are in the car package.

found this out when they transferred me to Or.

also if you have the Or. RV package you cannot get the premium car package only the standard?

wich i dont understand?

so i cancelled my Or. RV package since they said they would not tow my bus cuz it does not have RV plates.

wich is fine cuz now i have premium bikes & car package with 200 mile tow.

i will do some more homework but hopefully when i call AAA im just gonna tell them its a E350 passenger van 8500 pds 8'W x 9'T x 13'L and see what happens?

does anybody know if my short bus can be towed on a flatbed or does it have to be a wrecker tow truck?

i will check into that coachnet.net

i drive mine once a week for various reasons even when i am not camping.

thanks for the info!
Old 03-30-2023, 03:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
your bus might be pushing on a roll back wrecker?
i had a 2010 250 super duty 4 door with a long bed utility body loaded down with pipe fitting tool and fittings and one day it broke snap ring or something in the steering box and had no steering.
the roll back had no problem loading it for some reason but unloading at the closest garage the company used was an issue he couldnt slide it back enough and or tilt down enough with picking the whole front end of the roll back up off of the ground and everything wanted to tilt as well.
the operator stopped and called another wrecker his boss to bring another wrecker to anchor the front down some.
but that was a heavy loaded truck and its wheel base barely fit the roll back bed.
i would think flat trailer or standard wrecker.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:53 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: international
Engine: 345
Quote:
does anybody know if my short bus can be towed on a flatbed or does it have to be a wrecker tow truck?

i will check into that coachnet.net

i drive mine once a week for various reasons even when i am not camping.

thanks for the info!
Maybe, but it could be over height depending on how tall your bus is.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:29 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive never seen a bus towed on a standard flatbed.. I think they get concerned about height and center of gravity.. even a van cutaway bus is likely to be 8-9 feet tall (maybe more if it has a strobe light or radio antenna)... thats going to push it close in height.. many tow companies dont want to relay on a driver to have to measure, etc so they just call for a heavy duty wrecker..

when we rescue busses from the dead we always tow on a flatbed low-boy or land-oll trailer if we want an all-wheels-up tow.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:09 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: GMC Thomas handicap shorty
Chassis: 1 ton, 3500 -duallies, Vandura
Engine: 350 CFI, 4L80E trans
I just registered and insured mine as a passenger vehicle. I have a 4 window bus and title says "cutaway van." So it's a van..basically. No problems at the DMV. it was interesting...as the gal typed in my info she said once of the VIN numbers signified it was a "bus." I said, "I dunno, it's a van." But no probs, she just continued and on and took my money, gave me the reg and passeneger plates.

I'm in Colorado
kirkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:10 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: GMC Thomas handicap shorty
Chassis: 1 ton, 3500 -duallies, Vandura
Engine: 350 CFI, 4L80E trans
I just registered and insured mine as a passenger vehicle. I have a 4 window bus and title says "cutaway van." So it's a van..basically. No problems at the DMV. it was interesting...as the gal typed in my info she said once of the VIN numbers signified it was a "bus." I said, "I dunno, it's a van." But no probs, she just continued and on and took my money, gave me the reg and passeneer plates.

I'm in Colorado
kirkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: GMC 3500 Cutaway
Engine: 4.8 V8
Rated Cap: 14 passengers
We had our shorty 4 window bus towed last summer, first AAA sent a flatbed but the driver wouldn’t do it, mostly a weight problem, I think the height was ok but what do I know? Then I was told by dispatch that I had to find the tow service which PMO. But I did andit was towed after removing the driveshaft. I was reimbursed later for the tow. This was in NH. Water pump.
Dclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
hello everybody,
so ive been doing some homework.
State farm ins would not insure my 4 window short bus as a RV.
Oregon DMV will not change it to a RV because there is no plumbing & stove.
it is currently registered as commercial with commercial insurance.

so i did some diggin and found that:
" non-commercial buses with a registration weight of 10,000 pounds or less get a passenger registration "

i went to the DMV to ask. it took the guy awhile but he found it and said i can do a " change of class " and it would be registered as a passenger vehicle. ( even though all the seats are removed and it has a bed. he said it should be ok ? )
probably depends on the inspector?

he said fill out this form and come back with a weight certificate & the bus for inspection.

when i am done bullet proofing my motor i will try?

thanks in advance!
I have a Setra bus I registered in Oregon, i took all the seats out, had rv toilet installed in the bathroom (it had a recirculating toilet and the sink had a 30 gal water tank). After removing seats i got my brothers day bed and made a bedroom and i got a kitchen cabinet out of a wrecked trailer complete with sink and oven. put them in hooked water barrel to the sink and propane to the stove. it took 3 minutes for inspection. Did this in Grants Pass OR.
mmeteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:07 PM   #15

i am using progressive to insure as a motor coach (MH)
mmeteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:25 PM   #16
Skoolie

quick update:
went to DMV and i could tell i probably had the wrong employee when i showed her all my DMV paperwork & homework?
my title style says " CB " wich i assumed meant commercial bus?
she ran my vin and said somebody had already removed " bus " & changed it to " cab & chassy "
she said go have fun in it and sent me on my way.
it all happened so fast.
but then i got to thinking the main reason i want to change it to a passenger van/vehicle is so i dont have to have commercial insurance.
my current state farm ins company ran the vin and had to use commercial ins for a box truck....
i unloaded camping gear & weighed it before i went to the DMV with certified documentation @ 8100 pds.
today i printed out DMV body style abbreviation list and there is no " CB " listed?
after doing more homework today there is another class for vehicles weighing under 8000 pds i may be able to check into?
i can easily remove another 100 pds by taking out snow chains, bottle jack, car battery for the TV & only have a 1/4 tank of fuel.
i will try again another day?
i may go in next time and a different employee may say paperwork looks good, no problem, lets go outside and take a look!
wish me luck?

enjoy the build!
Old 04-12-2023, 06:52 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

My read of the Oregon handbook (online): You are not a commercial bus.

801.200 “Commercial bus.” “Commercial bus” means every motor vehicle designed or used for carrying passengers and their personal baggage and express for compensation, except:

(1) Taxicabs that:

(a) Are passenger vehicles with a passenger seating capacity that does not exceed five;

(b) Carry passengers for hire where destination and route traveled may be controlled by a passenger and the fare is calculated on the basis of any combination of an initial fee, distance traveled or waiting time;

(c) Are operated under a current license or permit issued by a city, county or other unit of local government where a permit or license is required for the operation of a taxicab; and

(d) Transport persons or property, or both, between points in Oregon.

(2) Vehicles commonly known and used as private passenger vehicles and not operated for compensation except in the transportation of students to or from school. [1983 c.338 §32; 1985 c.16 §12]

You are a motor home:
801.350 “Motor home.” “Motor home” means a motor vehicle that:

(1) Is reconstructed, permanently altered or originally designed to provide facilities for human habitation; or

(2) Has a structure permanently attached to it that would be a camper if the structure was not permanently attached to the motor vehicle. [1983 c.338 §60]

The part that is throwing me is there's no form for changing from commercial to motor home, or commercial to passenger vehicle. In California there's a generic 'statement of facts' form used in this space.

Interesting tidbit:
​You will also need proof that the recreational vehicle complies with the NFPA 1192 or 501C, or the ANSI A119.2​ standard based on the vehicle year:
New vehicle, it will either be on the MCO or a letter from the manufacturer.
Used vehicle, you will certify the vehicle complies by signing the application.​
NOTE: DMV will NOT inspect certification labels on RVs.

So apparently there is a form, or a self-declaration for Oregon.

In this forum there's a 2018 post about this process, though it's light on details:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/e...gon-22399.html

Charm and a smile. I wish you luck, and keep us posted.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:55 PM   #18
Skoolie

ya i have found myself in a weird spot LOL?
my skoolie is currently titled & registered as a cab/chassy.
wich is better than a bus i guess?
but state farm has me insured as a commercial box truck.
im paying $23.33 a month wich probably not too bad but i think i had $150 a year RV ins before they figured out what i had?
they said i needed running water and a stove to get RV ins.
and have RV plates.
im keeping my camper dry.
so im doing more homework?
maybe the DMV will give me RV title without having water & stove?
i almost met the camper requirements?
maybe get passenger van?
im gonna start all over again?
going to a different ins company today to see the different ways to insure it?
then go back to the DMV and check on ALL options?
i have ins now so i am ok.
gonna head to rocky point or lake of the woods tomorrow!
trip #14

enjoy the build
Old 04-13-2023, 01:43 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

It looks like you self-declare at DMV in Oregon if it is a conversion.

Might be worth a trip to ask the question 'what paperwork do I fill out to convert this rig to an RV?'
Old 04-13-2023, 05:45 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
It looks like you self-declare at DMV in Oregon if it is a conversion.

Might be worth a trip to ask the question 'what paperwork do I fill out to convert this rig to an RV?'

ohio is the same way.. you self declare.. they dont inspect it or even need to see it unless they are doing a VIN check because you boiught it out of state..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote