Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Just a thought when the ac starts... what settings do you have it on? try low cool and low fan to see if any difference. Let it run like that and avoid opening the doors, windows etc as little as possible. Tests like this take a bit of time to check out both the ac and the genny. I'm really thinking the genny is undersized at this point.

746 watts is 1hp
At 110v and 15amps you should be drawing 1650 watts continuously, or about 2.3 hp.
The genny maxed out at 3000watts or 2800 watts continuously or 3.75hp which should be enough for that ac unit when nothing else is running, like the inverter charger combo. Yet it won't run but will run on the 4kw genny.
I can't see any other solution from here without clamp-on ammeter readings. They are a tool that will pay for itself many times over so, think about buying one or have an electrician verify what's going on.

You may get by running it on the lowest settings but not when ih high heat/humidity with your setup. And that just plain doesn't cut it does it?

John

Old 06-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Your right. Today won't cut it with the A/C on low. When I turn on the A/C, I turn on the fan only first. That runs OK. As soon as I turn it to the lowest cool position, it kicks off. If the generator is too small, do you think a 3400 would do the job? The issue I'm having is the larger generators are much bigger and louder. Unless you want to put out the big bucks for an Onan. Again bigger and not portable. I like the size and noise level (58 db) of this Champion. They have a 3400 version that is basically the same size and noise level as the 3100. But if it doesn't work, it doesn't really matter. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again.
nevittja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

fwiw.. i just hooked up my 44 line rated amps 220v to an size 12 extension cord, and it started and ran... so your wire size of 8 for sure is OK. In my last two conversions, I purchased used Onan generators for cheap out of motorhomes, and then purchased automatic switch over breaker boxes to hook to the shore power. Have had no problems with either of those. As for the generators, I used auto fuel tanks with fused electric fuel pump in the lower compartments.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Ok, I am questioning your method today. The fan starts first on low.
The lo cool position must be already selected,not after the fan starts or the ac starts at higher amperage which trips the system. Am I right thinking you switched to lo cool from a higher setting with the fan running.

For another test, connect the ac feed in the panel to the 30 amp breaker that runs the battery charger and try the same method as above. That eliminates the 20 amp breaker for now, which might just allow the unit to start and run. Worth a try.

Next - how and where is the genny mounted, is it permanent? I know you like that genny for your reasons but I cannot see it being of big enough capacity as the load increases, so you have to make a choice I think.
Not sure what loads you might have in future but if changing to the 30 amp breaker won't let it run correctly then it has to go if you want any other power. The present genny should run it all by itself no problem.

I have a 2500 watt genny out back of the bus that runs 2 ac units for a total of 18000 btu and a small fridge, an electric water heater and other outlets for comparison sake. Mind you they won't run all at the same time ever so I can get by just fine till I get my 6.5KW Onan mounted. I have a 4kw Onan in my motorhome that runs everything just fine with an ac unit eqivalent to yours.

So, try changing the wiring for the ac to the 30amp breaker and lo settings on fan and compressor to start. If the bigger breaker lets it start then you can up the settings till you find out what it is capable of.

If that doesn't work, go for the soft start capacitor as mentioned back in post #3 I believe.

Even if you get it running I don't think that genny is of sufficient size to be totally comfortable and reliable. Up the size to about 5-6 KW if you buy another, not the 3400 you mentioned.

Hope to hear how this works out. I'm out of suggestions I think for now.

John
Old 06-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

That's because u need 30 amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellowbus1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Needs 30 amp breaker it's not the plug on the cord besides those champion generators are junk that's why there so cheap

Old 06-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
MANY people are using the Champion 3100 with very good success on their RV and running a single roof air. Check out the discussions on I2rv and RV.net.

If I had to choose between the Honda and Champion, regardless of cost, I would pick the Honda. If the $ are coming out of my pocket I would be looking at the Champion.

Seriously, if you plug in to shore power and the AC runs but when plugged into the generator it will not start the compressor I would be looking more at the AC.

The soft start kits are cheap. I will bet that $20 and 20 minutes of your time would have that AC running from your Champion generator.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

I got a 4000 Onan BFA love it 2 nd one in 18 years

Old 06-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Old one after 78000 hrs

Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Didn't I see that geny on Craigslist?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #31

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E / AT545
Rated Cap: 7 window handicap
Where is the neutral from the A/C connected?

Connect it to the shore power / generator neutral and not the Xantrex inverter/charger neutral output.... I had the same problem with a Honda 2000i, Xantrex, and 9200 btu A/C unit which had the same symptoms...

If that works I can explain
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

For some reason, my last couple posts didn't show. Sorry for the delay. I'll try again. Back to BlackJohn's post. There are 4 positions on the A/C knob. The first position is the fan only. The second position starts the compressor along with the fan. The next two positions keeps the compressor going and increases the fan speed. So when I turn the unit on the first position (fan only), it works fine. It's the second position that the generator breaker trips and the A/C shuts off. The Breaker in the bus does not trip. I'm pretty sure I have ruled out all the other possible issues. I have wired the generator/shore power directly to the A/C. So the pos, neg, and ground for the A/C is wired directly to the gen/shore power. I flipped the breaker to the inverter, so there was not any voltage pulled away from the A/C. I have sent my champion generator back and have ordered a Honda that everybody is saying will run the A/C no problem. I will let you know how this all works out. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Well, we have a success story! I received my Honda 3000 generator and tried it out on the bus. The A/C fired right up and stayed on. I added the TV and another fan to add to the power pull. I guess you can't believe all the marketing that these companies tell you. Ha. Champion was sure that their 3100 generator would power the A/C. Just not enough power to do it though. So far the Honda has much more power, and even though the sound rating is the same as the champion it is quieter. Thanks for all your ideas and help. I tried to rule everything out, and I should have started with the generator. Until the next issue .....