Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Savanna 3500
Engine: 6.5 Detroit
Project Bus Stuff

Hey there! I'm Bones, 30 and live in Western PA. I recently picked up a 2003 GMC Savanna 3500 short bus with a 6.5 Detroit diesel in it. The old gal has around 216k miles and is already "partially" converted and has wheelchair lift removed. I bought it from a friend for dirt cheap who had already had it plated as a truck and named her Adventure. It was originally a Virginia bus, arriving in PA via Maryland. Which means zero rust! I purchased her, swapped in new batteries and immediately drove about 50 miles to my mountainous homestead without a problem, cruising at 70-75 no issue. Totally mechanically sound and has a class four hitch. Tires are brand new and PMD has already been relocated.

It is not without issues completely though. The rear heat unit has been removed, rear ac has been disconnected and has a horrible brushed on paint job. The blower motor blows constantly if plugged in and the installed light bar is jinkily wired in. Also, I found out today when I went to fire her up, she has a draw somewhere. Turned the key and there was absolutely nothing. I need to figure that out asap.

My initial goal is to convert my skoolie into a toy hauler camper. I will be racing in a rather prepped car on slicks this year, and I travel a decent bit for events. Towing the racecar on a trailer will be a welcomed necessity! The very back bit of the bus will be dedicated to tools, spare wheels and tires, totes and what have you. The rest of the bus I would like to make into comfortable quarters that will facilitate cheap camping. I have a bunch of research to conduct before cracking into anything. Bringing the bus up to 100% maintenance wise will occur before any major renovations. For now, I call her Bus Stuff, much to my wife's chagrin. As the bus's story is written in confident I will find a more fitting name for her.

The winter will be slow, just wanted to start a build log! Pictures are of how things currently sit.
Attached Thumbnails
20191202_164546.jpg   20191203_191745.jpg  

Bones_mcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Congrats on the new project!! It's off to a good start and it sounds like you know what you want... You can learn a lot on this site! Great info and great people on here! Welcome!