Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

rear door dimensions on a short bus

Can anybody please just go out and measure their rear emergency exit door on a "type a" short bus? I know there are many different makes and models and variations within, but I'd like to know what the measures are on a shortie. There are many discussions on this topic about full size buses, but I wasnt able to locate one related to short buses.

Thank you.

Manchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, width and height please.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:35 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post
Yes, width and height please.

Hi Manchild,

I think my Girardin G5 is classed as a Type-A-2. I will measure the back door today when I am at the bus lot, and get back to you.

Have a great day!

Clyn
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Hi there, I measured the back door on my bus and it is 35 x 55 inches. Hope this helps.
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyardseashell View Post
Hi there, I measured the back door on my bus and it is 35 x 55 inches. Hope this helps.
Thanks Seashell. This is helpful, should be able to fit my GSA through the back door after all
Old 11-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: CT3
Engine: 6.5L diesel
Hi Manchild, GSA as in motorcycle? If so, what ramp are you planning to use. Thanks.
Stephen
Old 11-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I was planning on using something like this but it wont fit underneath (gas tank in the way). Along that vein though, I dont know if you've ridden/pushed/walked big bikes up a ramp but it can be pretty sketchy. Nothing like having 600lbs of german engineering coming down on top of you from 3 feet off the ground To mitigate this, I'd planned on getting a mini winch from Harbor Freight and mounting it to the ceiling on one of the ribs. Then I could just balance the bike instead of working the clutch, throttle, front brake, balance, and foot placement.

As I've abandoned the retractable ramp idea, the next though was a little more involved. I dont want loose ramps inside, they are a pain, they rattle, and they are always in the way. So I measured out the largest possible rectangle on the back of the bus, for mine its 56x84". I called a local trailer shop and they are making me a toy hauler ramp door for $600. I'll also have them cut and install it, another $4-600 depending on how long it takes them. Then I'll have a full width ramp that is also 12" taller than the emergency exit door that I was going to have to fab anyway to fit a bike through. The height of the door is also just long enough to have a decent slope for loading, even after the 6" lift that is going on next month. It'll be a little steep, ie you're not driving a jeep up it, but for moto's or an atv its fine.

Another awesome benefit of the toy hauler back end is that I'll be able to open it halfway and secure it with a chain (think prison bunk bed) and have an awesome patio/deck. There also several options for magnetic window screens made for the back of toy haulers which will make for fabulous ventilation with the bugs.

I'm in the final stages of the planning phase now and plan to start burning cash in earnest next month.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

And yes, GSA as in BMW R1200GS Adventure. I'll also have a KTM450 SXF Timbersled in there. The timbersled makes the bike 10 feet long!
Old 11-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

And one last thing, I see you're in San Diego, I'll be out there in Jan or Feb on tour with the bus and bikes. To keep track of when and where check out @get.ruby.moto on Instagram. A full schedule of the tour will be up mid Dec.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, Thank you for the information. I have a small bike F800R and still trying to figure out how to load it via back door. I pick up the van/bus next week in Mesa, AZ. So I’ll see what ramp or electric winch system I can use.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

That’ll be great if we can meet up when you’re in the San Diego area. Unfortunately I’m not on social media. �� Safe travels.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

No stress amigo. I only use social media for the business, totally get it. The problem with the back doors on buses is the height more than the width. Even a full height, full size bus door is usually only 55-57", which is a pretty standard height for an adventure bike. If you drop your windscreen, then it shouldnt be a problem.

If you end up using a ramp, make SURE you strap the ramp to the bus/trailer/whatever with two straps, every.single.time. More accidents are caused when loading by the ramp shifting/sliding/moving while loading/unloading. Easily avoidable, just put a strap on both sides from the ramp to the bumper. Nothing like watching a retired man's dreams go down the drain when his ramp shifts under his new R1200GSA causing an excruciatingly slow-motion demise off the side of the ramp. Breaking ribs, shoulder, and ankle at 60 (or any age) is no bueno. I've seen it happen 3 times now, just use a couple straps!
Old 11-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Yes. Straps will be mandatory when using the ramp. Just makes common sense. Safety first!