Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.7 V8
Rated Cap: 22
Reinstalling windows

Hey guys I have a 2000 Chevy short bus my partner and I just remove the windows and are prepping for reinstallation. This might be a silly question but what type of caulking do I use for reinstallation? It seemed like they were two different kinds one was green and definitely a stronger bond and the other seem to be a silicone-based product. Am I goingTo be OK with any type of bathroom water resistant caulk for the windows or is there a specific product I should search for

Pstewart986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
That rubbery stuff used in standard bus windows is, IMHO, double-sided butyl tape and some dabs of butyl caulk. The stronger stuff would be for things you don't take apart.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas (ShortBus)
Chassis: E450
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 15 person
Hey friends ! =)

Lil’Bus got two bottom side windows bursted from idiots throwing burns with V6 pick-ups off the side of the highway ..

I’ll probably get over it once i understand how to take those old school twin windows out .. hopefully from outside, otherwise i have an other issue, called the kitchen counter :/

Lil’bus is a 2002 e450 Thomas built. Picture is not up to date, but thats Lil’Bus ! When she still had all her windzz.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
3012ACE0-C77A-43D6-B8CB-7D72DECD00D2.jpg  
M@tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 L 395 CID V8 Diesel
the windows will need to come out from the inside. they are retained by the hat channel. I used elastomeric calking to reseal mine. most silicone caulking isn't paintable so watch for that . get yourself a caulking corner kitas well it makes it look 1000x better than spreading with your finger
waxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I believe it's possible to have the broken panes replaced without removing the window frames from the bus. Call around to auto/truck glass places.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I believe it's possible to have the broken panes replaced without removing the window frames from the bus. Call around to auto/truck glass places.
Not the type of windows I have
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Not the type of windows I have
What kind you got ??

Here are too things. First, im gonna call the auto/glass shops to checks if changing the glass without taking out the frame is actually an option.
If not, here is the deal: my kitchen counter is adjusted close sealed from inside. I’d have to take it all appart, which is not the way i conceived that part of furniture .. its there !

So, im kinda left with hoping what you call the hat channel could be this part, on the picture, which is on a lot of buses riveted, and here, bolted/screwed in. Would taking them off each side allow me to remove the frames from outside ??

Thank you =)
Attached Thumbnails
488D616B-3723-4C2E-A0C5-8FDCD8EABA26.jpeg  
Old 08-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Windows have a lip all around the edge on the inside that prevents them from pushing through the opening they're pressed into from the inside (which is formed on the sides by the ribs and on the top and bottom by horizontal beams/stiffeners), so removing the exterior trim pieces would do no good.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
If those windows are fully covered from the inside by carpentry, then why not buy a sheet of steel and cover the windows from the outside, using sealant along the edges, and call it done?

If you're set on replacing the glass, then you'll be pulling your cabinetry.

good luck!
bp1791-unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1791-unleashed View Post
If those windows are fully covered from the inside by carpentry, then why not buy a sheet of steel and cover the windows from the outside, using sealant along the edges, and call it done?

If you're set on replacing the glass, then you'll be pulling your cabinetry.

good luck!
I also vote to remove unused windows and panel over with steel.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Windows have a lip all around the edge on the inside that prevents them from pushing through the opening they're pressed into from the inside (which is formed on the sides by the ribs and on the top and bottom by horizontal beams/stiffeners), so removing the exterior trim pieces would do no good.
Meaning, your thought about calling an auto glass shop doesn’t apply any more, as well ?? :’(

It seems it would be tricky but some times one just doesn’t know.

Fingers crossed !

Old 08-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tt View Post
Meaning, your thought about calling an auto glass shop doesn’t apply any more, as well ??
No, what I'm saying is you have two choices: 1) find a glass shop that can replace just the glass pane while the window is still in the bus, or 2) remove the window entirely - which can only be done from the inside.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tt View Post
What kind you got ??

So, im kinda left with hoping what you call the hat channel could be this part, on the picture, which is on a lot of buses riveted, and here, bolted/screwed in. Would taking them off each side allow me to remove the frames from outside ??
Typical BlueBird windows, I guess.

They only can be removed from the inside. But to get the glass out of the frames, you have to remove the window assembly, and remove little screws that hold the framework together. You can not see these screws, as they are on the "edge" of the frame.

I took all the windows out of one side, and scrubbed them, and polished and painted the aluminum frames with tinted clearcoat.

Getting the polishing buffer wheels into the concave corners of the frame was tough, and I was just begging to take the whole thing apart, so I payed attention to being able to disassemble and reassemble the window assemblies. I don't remember for sure now, but I think the glass is not only completely boxed in by the aluminum frame and sealed with the rubber gasket, but also glued in, because I couldn't even get the framework apart to remove the glass. Either that, or I couldn't get the screws loose. Whatever it was, I was too worried about breaking the glass to force anything.

Bottom line is, to get the glass out of the frame, you must remove the screws in the frame first, and they can not be accessed without removing the whole window assembly.

My furthur advice: It's your bus now. Get to know it. Don't be afraid to take things apart. If your hat channels are screwed on, unscrew it and find out if the windows can be removed that way.

Good luck and Aloha!
Attached Thumbnails
0807201050[1].jpg   0807201050a[1].jpg  
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post

My furthur advice: It's your bus now. Get to know it. Don't be afraid to take things apart. If your hat channels are screwed on, unscrew it and find out if the windows can be removed that way.

Good luck and Aloha!
Thanks a lot ! =)
Old 08-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 L 395 CID V8 Diesel
the arrows you added to your picture are pointing to covers that box in the hat channel or ribs of the bus to keep the elements out. removing them will not allow the windows to be removed as the window is still retained by the brim of the hat and you will most likely ruin them taking them off. Mine had a green epoxy that forced me to pry them off and bend them to hell. to replace the glass you will need to remove the window and there should be four screws on each side that hold the windows frames together. be sure to remove any old caulking before resealing as new does not adhere to old and will cause leak points.
waxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is you have two choices: 1) find a glass shop that can replace just the glass pane while the window is still in the bus, or 2) remove the window entirely - which can only be done from the inside.
Thank you !
Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman View Post
the arrows you added to your picture are pointing to covers that box in the hat channel or ribs of the bus to keep the elements out. removing them will not allow the windows to be removed as the window is still retained by the brim of the hat and you will most likely ruin them taking them off. Mine had a green epoxy that forced me to pry them off and bend them to hell. to replace the glass you will need to remove the window and there should be four screws on each side that hold the windows frames together. be sure to remove any old caulking before resealing as new does not adhere to old and will cause leak points.
Thank you !
Old 08-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #18
Skoolie

(( still have no clue how im gonna get any of it fixed.

Have a feeling that changing the glass without taking the frame out is physically impossible unless the glass bends. Not so “plexi’ble” of a piece :/

Thanks again for all your useful opinions !
Old 08-13-2020, 07:10 AM   #19
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C1FE 2509
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9L 24V ~ AT545
Rated Cap: Seats 5. Sleeps 4
Reinstalling Windows? Make sure you have a good backup of all of your data and don't forget to run Windows updates after you reinstall!

Lol, Icouldn't resist.
I'll see myself out...
Bluthebus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #20
Skoolie

Im on linux .. u_u’

Thank you though. Let us know if you ever find your self out there !

Tags
caulking, reinstalling, type, windows