Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #601
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You too, Sandi!

I won't be my usual TALKATIVE self, I've suddenly got acute laryngitis. Got to family xmas dinner and suddenly my voice was all but gone.

yowsers hope you could at least smoke!

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #602
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Its the weirdest thing.. All of a sudden my voice just went out.
Kinda like my front timing cover lol.

Tis the season of FAIL here

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #603
Bus Geek

I measured my bus and Sandi's next to each other. Her is 2003, mine 2004.
her bus sits one inch +/- higher than mine. From center of hub to edge of wheel arch trim.
Gonna do some more lookin n measurig, but I'm now convinced that 10R's will fit with no trouble! My body to chassis mounts are different than my previous buses. I'll snap a pic, but they're spring loaded. I guess so as the rubber slowly degrades they stay tight. Nice.
Gotta get pics of my bus and Sandi's next to each other.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #604
Bus Geek

I'm going to talk to the diesel shop again tomorrow. See if I can get it in for some diagnostic work and find out about the general health of the engine. I want to really make sure everything's in order before we proceed with fixing anything.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #605
Bus Geek

I've got a question-
Is it even worth sampling my oil if I just changed it? Its only got about 10-20 miles on this oil since the change. The leak sprung up just after changing it.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #606
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I measured my bus and Sandi's next to each other. Her is 2003, mine 2004.
her bus sits one inch +/- higher than mine. From center of hub to edge of wheel arch trim.
Gonna do some more lookin n measurig, but I'm now convinced that 10R's will fit with no trouble! My body to chassis mounts are different than my previous buses. I'll snap a pic, but they're spring loaded. I guess so as the rubber slowly degrades they stay tight. Nice.
Gotta get pics of my bus and Sandi's next to each other.
Yes, we want to see pics! -Hillary
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #607
Bus Geek

Got some GREAT news after talking to the IC dealer here. They only have one part number for the front cover for my year. Fingers crossed but I think I'm in the clear as far as having to remove the rear timing cover.
A new outer cover is $950. They have one in stock, otherwise the part is on national backorder. I think I'll go ahead and get it. They put it on a ticket for me.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #608
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
I've got a question-
Is it even worth sampling my oil if I just changed it? Its only got about 10-20 miles on this oil since the change. The leak sprung up just after changing it.

Do you still have the old oil that came out of that engine? Test it.

I would also test the new oil because if it has coolant in it, you will be loosing your rad hoses, heater hoses etc. It won't happen immedietly but overtime they will rot away insideand get a major overheat.

John
Old 12-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #609
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Do you still have the old oil that came out of that engine? Test it.

I would also test the new oil because if it has coolant in it, you will be loosing your rad hoses, heater hoses etc. It won't happen immedietly but overtime they will rot away insideand get a major overheat.

John
Naw, we got rid of the old oil, but I didn't see any signs of coolant in it.
Will definitely check the oil, but with only maybe 20 miles of operation I doubt it would be too helpful. I've only ran the engine maybe 20 minutes and 1/2 mile since the front cover coolant leak started.

I'll start with replacing the front cover and gaskets. Then get everything tested thoroughly. Runs great, other than the leak. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #610
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Naw, we got rid of the old oil, but I didn't see any signs of coolant in it.
Will definitely check the oil, but with only maybe 20 miles of operation I doubt it would be too helpful. I've only ran the engine maybe 20 minutes and 1/2 mile since the front cover coolant leak started.

I'll start with replacing the front cover and gaskets. Then get everything tested thoroughly. Runs great, other than the leak. Hopefully it stays that way.
You should be good but I am just passing along what I know from past experience. i had an Audi and got a new head gasket installed. I was supposed to get it retorqued after say 2000kms. Well, dumb me, let it pass and got a nice mix of oil and coolant in the block. Not good so beware.

John

PS: As a sidenote, it's -28C with -35 windchill, enjoy your Sunshine State CB! Alos, 3 feet oF snow in the driveway to blast out.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #611
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
I've got a question-
Without at least 1000 miles on it there is a limit to what the lab can tell you.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #612
Bus Geek

BlackJohn- OUCH that sounds like no fun at all! I can't deal well with cold temps at all!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #613
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Without at least 1000 miles on it there is a limit to what the lab can tell you.
May be more beneficial to test it after the repair and some road time then.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #614
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I have to second the re-torquing procedure. Really important step anytime the head is off and on. Also an easy one to forget. Put a Post-It note on the dash!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #615
Bus Crazy

Quote:
BlackJohn- OUCH that sounds like no fun at all! I can't deal well with cold temps at all!

You get used to it CB. Most commercial diesel vehicles are never shut off,snowplows, ambulances etc. Depends on how you dress and what your wear, wool is good. Still, it is killer cold so not really enjoyable unless I keep rollinn.
Strange thing, I can't stand your heat, don't know how you do it even with unlimited beer....

John
Old 12-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #616
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
fantastic news that there is only one part number on the cover.. id do a teardown and see what yours looks like.. maybe you get lucky and just that crappy O-ring rubber gasket is bad.. not sure why navistar chose to use that style gasket on lots of their stuff but they do.. and they seem to leak.. the 444E's were notorious for thermostat leaks.. that gasket material is the same as your timing cover..

usually as noted, water in the oil is pretty easy to spot. oil in the water as well.. I can atest to Blackjohn;s retorquing of bolts.. which shouldnt affect you arent pulling the head gaskets.. but I would pay attention to bolt torques and torque order when putting that cover back on.. anything that is large and has a gasket is real important not to warp due to incorrect torques or "pinch-warping" associated with tightening the bolts out of order..

I need to be in florida big time.. just havent been able to get away! gonna be near 0f each nioght for the next 6 nights.. on a good note my DT-360 kicked right over this AM after sitting since TG weekend not being plugged in.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #617
Bus Geek

The local truck shop said it would be a month before they could look at it.
Tempted to tow it on over to the navistar dealer and have it done. Would be a $350 tow. But I'd rather take someone the bus whole and running than get into some situation in Shaun's driveway and have to haul it off in pieces.
I really hate to spend the money, but I'm not confident in doing this alone with limited tools and resources. If the tab isn't too bad from the front cover replacement I could have a coolant pressure test and maybe compression test done while its in. I definitely don't have the tools for either of those.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #618
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
You get used to it CB. Most commercial diesel vehicles are never shut off,snowplows, ambulances etc. Depends on how you dress and what your wear, wool is good. Still, it is killer cold so not really enjoyable unless I keep rollinn.
Strange thing, I can't stand your heat, don't know how you do it even with unlimited beer....

John
If I could, I'd live even closer to the equator. But the further south in Fl you go the dodgier it gets.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #619
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Speaking of the equator, I hear most politicians and other government heads are moving their families to the other side of the equator. Argentina sounds nice, and diesel is cheap.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #620
Bus Crazy

Quote:
If I could, I'd live even closer to the equator. But the further south in Fl you go the dodgier it gets.
Well CB, there is one I have never heard before...can you splain : "dodgier" please?

Just thinking here, your bus walked home from Texas like a champ. No need for compression test there I don't think. You must have felt how it holds the revs up accelerating thru the gears too since getting it.
Auto parts places will loan you test, ..easy peasy to do for coolant pressure test.
I suggest getting towing coverage for all your vehicles in one package like we have up here. Annual cost pays for itself if towed once. Here a big wrecker costs $185/hr, mileage included, so yours seems way high for the distance.
I understand how Shaun might freak about doing this at his place but you can do this repair. Won't happen overnight but very doable to change the front cover. I don't get why you can't do this at home really. All the support you need in in this place and you are having a get together so get some help with this.

Over and out,

John