Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #881
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I shouldn't worry too much about Sessions and his ridiculous obsession with mj.

Congress has already denied the DoJ any extra funding to pursue this matter.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #882
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The MJ is deeply rooted in our society and won't go away unless it becomes extremely expensive. They just want to tax it. To take a cut of something they had noting to do with.

Who knows? Maybe they'll use the money to fill potholes. Pun intended.

In South Korea during the late 70s the penalty for possession was beheading. It's obvious there aren't a lot of Koreans interested in the herb.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #883
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Maybe? Also go through the page numbers and specify exactly which ones cover what he is doing instead of just dumping the whole file for him to decipher.
Good knowledge over all for everything about what he has but not very fast if you have to search every page to find it yourself?
Maybe it's better. Than what I have access to where you can type in a specific thing and get what you want?
For me I am either the Google,chiltons,or micro fish type? Sometimes searching the manual takes more time than fixing the problem.
ECCB. I don't like small o rings and if I have to use big ones then you can guarantee that there is some hight temp silicone in there.
One bead to stick it on the cover with the bolts in the holes and one bead on the mating surface before you tighten it all down.
If you want you can wipe the excess off but even when I see an open hood at a car show and the sealant around a factory gasket? I know that man took the extra step to make sure his build was correct.
Factory **** fails all the time so you can pay them to fix it.
When it comes to gaskets that fail all the time. You either make your own and never worry again or you buy the factory **** that is gonna fail again.
There is a reason why parts stores offer gasket sealer?
MANUFACTURERS DONT USE THEM?
We use them to save our asses money and most are better than whatever the factory attempted to use as far as a gasket. You can't bitch at a gasket until your trying to take apart and clean one that you put on yourself. And you can cuss yourself but it's easier to cuss the gasket and time it takes.
You can make a better final product than the FREAKING DEALERSHIP will do.
Gasket material ain't a JB Weld fix? As you want to call BS.
It is used buy every shop mechanic that doesn't work for a dealership to secure the gaskets in there proper positions for placement of the bolts and tourquinq tightening sequence.
On a SORE NOTE when you do take your front cover off and IF you find that your rear cover is actually eaten out then JB WELD with a day's air time before covering it up and some o-ring/gasket sealer will cost you not much more than your new o-ring and a bunch of knuckle scrapers .
Your scared of something you don't know and I understand but instead of 1000's $ to fix it you can do a piece at the time?
You know the coolant leaks and you are scared to drive it like that so why in the hell are you worried about tires and there sizes?
The hell with the HOA! Long story short,mine can't say anything about what is in my driveway as long as it is tagged. And I don't have construction material in public view?
Get your bus where you can work on it and start turning wrenches.
Some of our redneck ideas have been proven and tested many a time to save MONEY?
Sometimes the manufacturer is not the solution?
Unless you have plenty of money?
Get it where you can work on it and get some bloody KNUKLES (oh yeah? Wear gloves where you can't grip the tools with so that doesn't happen)?
I do have 1-week of vacation time but my old truck only gets about 7-mpg and I can't afford that to FLO and back or I would be there as soon as you decide to turn wrenches.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #884
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the front part of the timing cover is supposedly pretty easy to take off.. the balancer is a bit of a challenge on these engines but the tool can be rented..

EC's big issue now is finding a place to tear it apart where he doesnt either have a friend or the city down his throat.. if i were doing it i would also get an engine hoist and lift the complete radiator/ turbo cooler / core support outr at once... its what i shouldve done when i did the cooling upgrades to mine in the spring.

timing cover definitely is not a job i would complete in a day myself.. and seems all shaun or john want to give him is a day or two..

-Christopher

CB, so relieved that Shaun wants to help you out, kudos to him!
This issue has had me thinking about in future pulling the rad in mine at some point.
As Chris said, try and get it out with as much attached as possible to eliminate work and further leaks from disturbing good connections.
Having been an industrial electrician I had to perform lots of rigging and hoisting in my time. Heaviest lifts ere 148 ton, that being the rotor replacement in a 750 MW nuke. So, last night I devised a way to pick my own and possibly your rad out. A few bucks for material sure but you have a hoist for life, enough to pull that engine too if ever. You ere going to have to spend some money, this will help large.
Will share more if you are interested so glad the tide is changing in your favour.

John
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #885
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The MJ is deeply rooted in our society and won't go away unless it becomes extremely expensive. They just want to tax it. To take a cut of something they had noting to do with.

Who knows? Maybe they'll use the money to fill potholes. Pun intended.

In South Korea during the late 70s the penalty for possession was beheading. It's obvious there aren't a lot of Koreans interested in the herb.
N Korea doesn't have any laws against pot.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #886
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Maybe? Also go through the page numbers and specify exactly which ones cover what he is doing instead of just dumping the whole file for him to decipher.
Good knowledge over all for everything about what he has but not very fast if you have to search every page to find it yourself?
Maybe it's better. Than what I have access to where you can type in a specific thing and get what you want?
For me I am either the Google,chiltons,or micro fish type? Sometimes searching the manual takes more time than fixing the problem.
ECCB. I don't like small o rings and if I have to use big ones then you can guarantee that there is some hight temp silicone in there.
One bead to stick it on the cover with the bolts in the holes and one bead on the mating surface before you tighten it all down.
If you want you can wipe the excess off but even when I see an open hood at a car show and the sealant around a factory gasket? I know that man took the extra step to make sure his build was correct.
Factory **** fails all the time so you can pay them to fix it.
When it comes to gaskets that fail all the time. You either make your own and never worry again or you buy the factory **** that is gonna fail again.
There is a reason why parts stores offer gasket sealer?
MANUFACTURERS DONT USE THEM?
We use them to save our asses money and most are better than whatever the factory attempted to use as far as a gasket. You can't bitch at a gasket until your trying to take apart and clean one that you put on yourself. And you can cuss yourself but it's easier to cuss the gasket and time it takes.
You can make a better final product than the FREAKING DEALERSHIP will do.
Gasket material ain't a JB Weld fix? As you want to call BS.
It is used buy every shop mechanic that doesn't work for a dealership to secure the gaskets in there proper positions for placement of the bolts and tourquinq tightening sequence.
On a SORE NOTE when you do take your front cover off and IF you find that your rear cover is actually eaten out then JB WELD with a day's air time before covering it up and some o-ring/gasket sealer will cost you not much more than your new o-ring and a bunch of knuckle scrapers .
Your scared of something you don't know and I understand but instead of 1000's $ to fix it you can do a piece at the time?
You know the coolant leaks and you are scared to drive it like that so why in the hell are you worried about tires and there sizes?
The hell with the HOA! Long story short,mine can't say anything about what is in my driveway as long as it is tagged. And I don't have construction material in public view?
Get your bus where you can work on it and start turning wrenches.
Some of our redneck ideas have been proven and tested many a time to save MONEY?
Sometimes the manufacturer is not the solution?
Unless you have plenty of money?
Get it where you can work on it and get some bloody KNUKLES (oh yeah? Wear gloves where you can't grip the tools with so that doesn't happen)?
I do have 1-week of vacation time but my old truck only gets about 7-mpg and I can't afford that to FLO and back or I would be there as soon as you decide to turn wrenches.
well the tires on it now are seriously, dangerously BALD. So going UP a size is a no brainer if I end up putting new tires on. NOT worried about tires when theres a massive coolant leak. And the factory does use silicone gasket sealer. Permatex brand to be specific.
If you got nothing better to do I'll gladly give ya the gas money, sir!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #887
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas

I hope this helps.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #888
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Maybe?
Dude, what/where are you posting from?!? More than half of your lines end with a question mark while the sentence carries on. And add some extra carriage returns; they're free!!
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #889
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Dude, what/where are you posting from?!? More than half of your lines end with a question mark while the sentence carries on. And add some extra carriage returns; they're free!!
Its just the way pirates puntuate.
I love JollyRoger!
Keep on keepin on, man!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #890
Bus Geek

Shouldn't it be ż then as the Spaniards were always after the English ships?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #891
Bus Geek

Scheduled the tow guy to meet me at the dealer tonight. was gonna do it last night but ended up doing some other things and couldn't get out there to get it.
Called the sevice dept at the dealer to let them know I'd be coming for it tonight to haul it home and fix it myself.
If the inner cover is bad I'll have it towed the 2 miles to the local truck shop and just wait for them to have the time and let them do just the inner cover.
Then another two mile tow and i can put the front cover and other crap back on.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #892
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Scheduled the tow guy to meet me at the dealer tonight. was gonna do it last night but ended up doing some other things and couldn't get out there to get it.
Called the sevice dept at the dealer to let them know I'd be coming for it tonight to haul it home and fix it myself.
If the inner cover is bad I'll have it towed the 2 miles to the local truck shop and just wait for them to have the time and let them do just the inner cover.
Then another two mile tow and i can put the front cover and other crap back on.
Sounds like a plan that will cost a good deal less than $8700.

Build Thread
Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #893
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Sounds like a plan that will cost a good deal less than $8700.
Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Charlie,
How far is the Inter'l dealer to Shawn's? Go buy a bucket of THE cheapest distilled water you can find. I was going to say anti-freeze but who cares? Drive the bus home. If the coolant level light comes on every quarter mile, fine. Top it off and keep going. Hell take the cap off and run a garden hose from a literal barrel of water from inside the bus, thru the door and under the hood. Hell of a lot cheaper than another $300 tow. Ain't like you're pressed for time.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #894
Bus Geek

I'm not risking doing any damage. A tow is pennies compared to what this dealer was charging me.
Its got REALLY bald tires and nails/screws in at least two of them. Tonight's the only time we can get over there and its in the WORST part of orlando. No way I'm pulling over and topping off fluid in that area on a Friday night.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #895
Bus Geek

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Come back next week with some cool stories and if you're really lucky some really neat scars!!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #896
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Shaun just came over to tell me that he "doesn't want me to do anything rash" and that we can park it and work on it as long as it takes at his place.

Gonna call the tow guy after lunch and arrange to meet him over at the dealer tonight.

This makes me happy and a little emotional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #897
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
well the tires on it now are seriously, dangerously BALD. So going UP a size is a no brainer if I end up putting new tires on. NOT worried about tires when theres a massive coolant leak. And the factory does use silicone gasket sealer. Permatex brand to be specific.

I've got your tires covered. Offer still stands [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #898
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
I can't say that it's nothing better to do but it is my job to pay my bills.
Sorry gas money ain't beneficial for either of us cause my old truck averages about 7-mpg.
Perma tex is one at the top and they have one that is make your own gasket?
So I would wonder if the district said the hell with a new gasket and filled it full of the GASKET SEALER?
There is also even better out there but I can't remember the name of it.
I have some and will send a pic when I get home? Really in the tomorrow cause I ain't gonna look for it tonight.
More like aviation gasket sealer and once it gets heat on it it takes work to get the pieces apart without breaking them? But they don't leak?
I have mechaniced most of my life but I don't know your engine in any aspect so I would only be a wrench turner and advice when I could?
My knuckles are hard because they have been bloodied to many times and my work contributes.
I offered to help but I can only give advice from far away at this point?
Sorry.
With actual snow here?
I work on commercial heaters and it's like they don't even know what it's doing and have had no problems until there's snow and there patrons are complaining?
Most are BS but some are legit like 16 roof top unit I fixed today the gas regulators were under the snow and frozen because whatever dummy did the job originally ran everything on a 2x4 so it was frozen? I can call BS on the installer cause they should have known better(by there license) and I can blame the county and the owner for accepting it? Now the owner pays and the county gets paid to look at me moving 16 natural gas regulators out of the anticipated snow load for this area?
Sorry? My men and I have been on this F'NG rooftop to fix this for these people in the freaking ice and snow and 20-mph winds and they are bitching cause we ain't fast enough.
I invited the B (that says she's paying for it) to see exactly what we are doing before you talk to me or my men again?
She called my office and said I was rude and expected here to approve my work and why wasn't her county inspector there?
Sorry man ? Wish I was close to you cause I wish I could pack one right?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #899
Bus Geek

Quote:
So I would wonder if the district said the hell with a new gasket and filled it full of the GASKET SEALER?
If it could ever be shown that a school district did this, ECCB would have actionable evidence against them.

Also, it would be very much against the terms of use of the auction site, and they would probably refund.

I would be frankly astonished if a school district behaved this way. It's just not how they roll.

When schools want to off-load a troublesome bus, they simply sell as a "non-runner". The listings are full of them.

Build Thread
Old 01-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #900
Bus Geek

I jsut got back to Shaun's with the bus. Me and Roxy just decided to drive it. Its 35 degrees out, no traffic, so we took it nice and easy. Grabbed some water to keep it topped off and checked it every 5 miles.
We had a tow scheduled but the guy didn't show. So we drove it carefully and saved hundred. That's a big win! That'll pay for some parts.
I talked to the night staff while I was there. Really awesome, knowledgeable techs. The head tech came over to me and told me that I could fix it myself. He said the updated cover has more bolts added to hold it on more securely to cut back on leaks. He said I should be able to do the front cover in a day or two. He said the inners are usually good and that a GOOD, MINT condition used or aftermarket, or old stock pre update cover would likely solve the leak. He said if it leaks oil, its usually a sign that the inner cover failed. Coolant is usually the outer. But won't know till I get in there.
They charged me less than the $300 on the invoice. $230 including antifreeze and stuff, so not quite as bad. Just getting to talk to a REAL tech who said he's done hundreds of these was sorta worth it. He even said to call if I had any questions in the future. Good guys, the techs. Hard to get a tech to talk with during the day shift. All techs and one service advisor at night.

She drove like a BEAST! Yes, its electronically limited to 55mph, but it accelerates REALLY nicely and keeps up with traffic just fine.
Someone was making fun of it for "only going 50-55" but that's a REALLY easy, petty thing to fix. This bus is capable of 85 mph on 10R's.