Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
with the 4x I meant the time it takes to do a project.

That seems low, On my 1998 ford E350 bus, 7.3 , same as you i get 13 to 15 MPG. I am a slow and have a a very light foot.

On my extended 1998 E350 van 4x4 7.3 with 3.55 ratio and 255/85/R16 I et 16 average and 19 mpg top at 55Mph speed.

Johan
Haha- I naturally assumed since yours is 4x4 right?
Interesting about the mileage. Is yours a dually? I think lines a bit taller and wider. If not, maybe I need a tune.

peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #62

Hi! My names Jonathan I am buying a 2003 Ford girardin 6 window. Looks just like yours. I am in a different state then the bus and really really concerned about the interior height! U said 7í3. Is that possible? Did u mean 6í3? The height means a lot. I am looking at a few and he asking a good deal. I just want to make sure I 6í and putting new ceiling in I will be able to stand. Please let me know if u can. I would love to send a picture of the bus to u and see what u think and make sure itís the same. Iam 99% sure it is. 7.3 turbo 6 window
Mason413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:20 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason413 View Post
Hi! My names Jonathan I am buying a 2003 Ford girardin 6 window. Looks just like yours. I am in a different state then the bus and really really concerned about the interior height! U said 7í3. Is that possible? Did u mean 6í3? The height means a lot. I am looking at a few and he asking a good deal. I just want to make sure I 6í and putting new ceiling in I will be able to stand. Please let me know if u can. I would love to send a picture of the bus to u and see what u think and make sure itís the same. Iam 99% sure it is. 7.3 turbo 6 window
Hey Jonathan,
I'm sorry. 7'-3" was a typo. It was 6'-3" originally though there are different styles which may mean the height would be different. I am 6'-2" so height was a concern as well for me. I ended up using 1/2" insulation and 1/2" plywood on the floor and my ceiling material was 5/16". I can stand up fine - No extra room, but fine for our use. Sure, post or send me a photo. They do make smaller ones with single rear wheels, but with six windows, it's probably same as mine. Where are they located?
Old 03-16-2021, 11:13 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Wall coverings

A before shot and a couple of afters. Represents about a month of work. Lots of wiring, template making, tests fits, trimming, test fitting. Repeat as necessary. The last shot shows the wall panel behind the driver's seat. Nothing straight on this bus. Next up-charging system!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210219_120031.jpg (213.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20210316_194138.jpg (157.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20210316_194128.jpg (135.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20210220_142346.jpg (224.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 AM   #65
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
A before shot and a couple of afters. Represents about a month of work. Lots of wiring, template making, tests fits, trimming, test fitting. Repeat as necessary. The last shot shows the wall panel behind the driver's seat. Nothing straight on this bus. Next up-charging system!

Hi Peakbus,

Youndidnamvery nice looking job on the overhead area. It looks great.

I would like to do something similar to both the overhead and rear wall wall area on my bus. I am curious on how you built the cubby holes/boxes... Meaning- Do they have some sort of support under them for weight bearing items or are they just floating boxes?

Thanks
Clyn
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #66

Love all the wood.

Jonathan
Old 03-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Nice job, yeah the curves, the aesthetic is great like in a ship...but a pain otherwise..
I wish I was organized like you with all the wires hanging out of the front area at the same time, it shows good planning and a clear plan.....mine is a little here and a little there.. I put a kids bed / bedding storage in that area.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyardseashell View Post
Hi Peakbus,

Youndidnamvery nice looking job on the overhead area. It looks great.

I would like to do something similar to both the overhead and rear wall wall area on my bus. I am curious on how you built the cubby holes/boxes... Meaning- Do they have some sort of support under them for weight bearing items or are they just floating boxes?

Thanks
Clyn
Hi Clyn,
Thanks. The front cabinet is supported and secured to the two metal frame pieces you can see in the first photo- with the insulation. The shelves are only about 5" deep but, as you know, any storage is good storage. The bottom shelf rests on the lower frame, and the frame in the middle is sandwiched by the top of the lower cubby and bottom of the upper. I also have wood blocking up at the top it rests against and I could screw into.

The rear wall looks a bit like the original. I went with a 1/8" thick prepainted white panel from Home Depot. Much of it will be covered by the bed and it brightens it a bit. If we hate it, I could always used the panels for templates for thin plywood.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:13 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Nice job, yeah the curves, the aesthetic is great like in a ship...but a pain otherwise..
I wish I was organized like you with all the wires hanging out of the front area at the same time, it shows good planning and a clear plan.....mine is a little here and a little there.. I put a kids bed / bedding storage in that area.
Hi Johan,
Thanks for the comments. It definitely took a turn once the cabinets and wall panels went in. I've been wrestling with wires for months. it seems.

The boat comment rings true. We used to live on the coast in Port Townsend, WA. The wooden boat capital of the west. Many called the marina "the boatyard of broken dreams". People would haul out their boats to rebuild and be at it for years, some to never see the sea again. I never saw the lure of those project, though I admired them. Here I am now doing the same thing with an old bus.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Haha, Nicely worded, yes life of wooden boat is unforgiving that way.

What is better, to sink at the ocean or to rot on land.

At 60 now , I have way more projects then I possible can finish.

Probably better to die with unfinished dreams then die with now dreams at all.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Hi Johan,
Thanks for the comments. It definitely took a turn once the cabinets and wall panels went in. I've been wrestling with wires for months. it seems.

The boat comment rings true. We used to live on the coast in Port Townsend, WA. The wooden boat capital of the west. Many called the marina "the boatyard of broken dreams". People would haul out their boats to rebuild and be at it for years, some to never see the sea again. I never saw the lure of those project, though I admired them. Here I am now doing the same thing with an old bus.
There's a channel I watch on Youtube (Sampson Boat Co) from a guy who's rebuilding a century-old sailing yacht in Sequim and he visits a lot of places in Port Townsend for wooden-boat-related stuff (like bronze knee casting etc.). Very cool, I always wanted to live on a boat until I got invited on one and spent the whole time puking; my skoolie is like a land version of this, without the puking.

Your bus is looking great.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
There's a channel I watch on Youtube (Sampson Boat Co) from a guy who's rebuilding a century-old sailing yacht in Sequim and he visits a lot of places in Port Townsend for wooden-boat-related stuff (like bronze knee casting etc.). Very cool, I always wanted to live on a boat until I got invited on one and spent the whole time puking; my skoolie is like a land version of this, without the puking.

Your bus is looking great.
With boats, if something you build fails, you sink. With our buses, we may be stranded for a bit if something goes wrong, but we don't drown.
Thanks, your are cranking too- nice work. I joke with people, most of what I get done on a given day, nobody can see.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I always wanted to live on a boat until I got invited on one and spent the whole time puking

I wanted to sail around the world until I went on a snorkeling tour boat for an hour.

Quote:
most of what I get done on a given day, nobody can see.
There were days fabbing my roof hatch where if I got 4-6 holes drilled in 6-8 hours, I was doing great. They had to be perfect centered within 1/100" to keep the aluminum from cracking. I still have days like that sometimes. Like the trim under the windows: I removed the factory "triangle" trim that covers the window bottoms where 2 windows meet, and had to drill the holes in the 1.5"◊3/4" oak boards to match the existing holes in the wall, and all the holes had to match up along the length of the board. Didn't want to drill more holes in the wall. 1/4" holes, needed to be again within 1/100" centered. Actually came out well, using a drill press. I drilled 3 holes one day last week.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:50 PM   #74
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Hi Clyn,
Thanks. The front cabinet is supported and secured to the two metal frame pieces you can see in the first photo- with the insulation. The shelves are only about 5" deep but, as you know, any storage is good storage. The bottom shelf rests on the lower frame, and the frame in the middle is sandwiched by the top of the lower cubby and bottom of the upper. I also have wood blocking up at the top it rests against and I could screw into.

The rear wall looks a bit like the original. I went with a 1/8" thick prepainted white panel from Home Depot. Much of it will be covered by the bed and it brightens it a bit. If we hate it, I could always used the panels for templates for thin plywood.

Thanks Peakbus. I have been trying to figure out how to add cubbies over the drivers area.
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Cruisin'

Big game-changer! I finally got cruise control installed on the bus. For those with E-Series cutaway buses from the late 90s early 2000s there is not an aftermarket cruise control available. To get cruise control, you have to find a used steering wheel with the cruise control paddles along with the clock spring which connects to the steering column. After 3 visits to the auto electric technician, it's finally running! I first purchased a used steering column from a wrecking yard and after much work, they were unable to get it to function and traced it down to bad control buttons on the steering wheel. So I went hunting for another and found a decent steering wheel and they got it to function.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210323_204351.jpg (111.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Big game-changer! I finally got cruise control installed on the bus. For those with E-Series cutaway buses from the late 90s early 2000s there is not an aftermarket cruise control available. To get cruise control, you have to find a used steering wheel with the cruise control paddles along with the clock spring which connects to the steering column. After 3 visits to the auto electric technician, it's finally running! I first purchased a used steering column from a wrecking yard and after much work, they were unable to get it to function and traced it down to bad control buttons on the steering wheel. So I went hunting for another and found a decent steering wheel and they got it to function.
Thatís some serious determination/motivation.
Congrats on the good work.

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #77
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:

This is huge. So cool you got this working. Can the steering wheel be from one and the clock spring from another if needed?
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #78
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc11237 View Post
This is huge. So cool you got this working. Can the steering wheel be from one and the clock spring from another if needed?
Yes, he used the clock spring from the 1st column I bought and a wheel from a different van when he discovered the paddles (switches) on the 1st wheel didn't work. My resume feature doesn't work but hey, still a huge improvement.
Note: the parts need to be out of an Econoline - not an F series truck. They don't mix. Also, make sure the wheel and clock spring come out of a van of similar age range.
Great parts source: car-parts.com is a great sight which allows you to search for parts at wrecking yards all across the country.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:39 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Smile Nothing like a deadline

To get things accomplished! We were going to go to Utah for 2020 spring break when "You Know What" hit the fan. Well, a year later we made it, in a much closer-to-complete bus. The last month has been a whirlwind of projects to get things to the state I wanted: Functional charging system and lights, counter and sink in with functional plumbing. Then there's the thousand little things you have to do before you can complete those big goals.

Multiple counter test fits, many finish coats, repeated removal and replacement of the DC fridge to make wiring complete and attach the counter. Birch butcher block with 50/50 Tung oil/Citrus Solv sealer
20210404_131348.jpg

Fabrication of a steel support stand for the water tank and plumbing runs. 30 gallons fresh with Whale Gusher foot pump; 6 gallon Gerry tank under the sink for grey water.
20210405_112314.jpg
Wiring, and more wiring. I completed the charging system at 11pm the day before we planned to leave. I didn't even test or turn things on until we hit the road (12 hours late-not bad) Midnite Kid Solar Charge controller; Victron DC/DC battery charger from bus alternator; Victron Battery Monitor; Intellipower AC/DC charger; Xantrex 2000 watt inverter; 2-6 volt Full River 224 AH AGM batteries.
20210405_112202.jpg
I hadn't planned to get upper cabinets/shelving in before this trip but ended up having to do so in order to mount my charge controller.
20210413_080544.jpg
I installed switches, dimmers, USBs and the backup camera at stops along the trip- a working vacation.
20210413_080453.jpg
Old 04-15-2021, 12:13 AM   #80
Bus Nut

2000 Mile test drive

Smooth running Idaho to Utah and back. The bus ran smooth. We averaged 10mpg and ran at 65 mph. It will go 80 but 65 is still giving up a lot to the fuel tank so we kept it there. My that new cruise control was worth the effort

As my last post mentioned, I powered up my DC charging system as we rolled out of town. After one small adjustment it was up and running. With the alternator power and solar, we never even came close to taxing the batteries.

The used Novakool fridge worked great as did the Espar diesel furnace which was especially helpful on the way home when the temp was down to 27 when we awoke and the dog's water dish froze inside the bus!

20210403_100629.jpg

20210403_192541.jpg

20210405_180552.jpg

20210407_070017.jpg

20210407_190446.jpg

20210408_185205.jpg
Back to more fun finish details.
Loving the life!