Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #101
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Junior View Post
Absolutely love the work that you are doing. It really looks quite outstanding. You prove to be a nice source for both ideas and motivation. Thanks for posting.
Thanks BJ. Its so fun to watch other's buses come together in such unique ways. That's why we're all doing it!

peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:21 AM   #102
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yeah, my bed is up at the level of the bottom of the windows. It kind of freaks me out, but at least with my tinted windows I'm not really visible from the outside, especially with my windows open since that means there's two layers of tinted glass.
Our Pillows top out at the mid rail of the windows so I know how you feel, but tinted windows and curtains go along way.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #103
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yeah, my bed is up at the level of the bottom of the windows. It kind of freaks me out, but at least with my tinted windows I'm not really visible from the outside, especially with my windows open since that means there's two layers of tinted glass.

I was at the bus earlier today, and got a handle on all the stuff that I have been moving from side to side as I work on the bus. I love having the storage under the bed. Everything fit there perfectly.

I did check out the new bed/mattress, and although I need a step stool to get onto the bed, it is like laying on a cloud! I decided that I don't mind the bed height- I have plenty of clearance to sit up on the bed without cracking my head on the overhead AC unit (although that may change when I move the bed towards the side doors when the lift is finally removed),
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #104
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
I really worked at finding a mattress that was as thin as possible though it is actually more comfortable than our one at home! As you are planning to live in your bus full time- you want to be comfortable!

I have a 9" twin mattress in the van; and, I was going to go for the same one except in a full size for the bus; trouble was the price for the 9" full mattress was outrageous; The 12" mattress I ended up buying was less expensive (with with great reviews), than the 9" full- so I went with it.

As mentioned in another post in this thread, 'the mattress is like laying on a cloud'. While 12" may be over the top, I have no regrets on the purchase.

Clyn
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:55 AM   #105

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: G5
Engine: 6.6L Duramax
Looks awesome. I think I'll be copying a couple of your ideas when I get time to build mine.
Davep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #106
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 7.3 PowerStroke With 5 speed Transmission
Amazing build and very clean looking! As someone mentioned before, your definitely had a plan going into it, and it shows!
WayneTSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #107
Bus Nut

I've been bouncing around Canada for the last little while, seeing many more Girardin short buses up here. One of the best looking / best proportioned short buses if you ask me!
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #108
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathang05 View Post
Amazing build and very clean looking! As someone mentioned before, your definitely had a plan going into it, and it shows!
Thanks! Only about 25 years of ideas stored in my head. Finally got to bring it to fruition. I'd encourage anyone with dreams to jump in when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:01 PM   #109
Bus Nut

Painting Dayzzzzz

This post is long overdue from last fall. I borrowed a heated shop from a friend in late October with what I hoped would be a one week to 10 day project to prep and paint the exterior. I started by spending a day tarping the floor, moving my friend’s stuff out of the way, masking off walls and cleaning cobwebs from the ceiling. I had to replace a bunch of fluorescent bulbs so that I could actually see while working. This required some acrobatics to reach the 16 ft high ceiling.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221025_104931.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	71579Click image for larger version

Name:	20221029_133024_Moment.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	71580

I also had to build a crude scaffolding over the hood to reach the cap above the windshield. Paint prep started by removing the lights, grill, bumpers canopy and other exterior details. I then started by masking windows, trim roof and wheels. Surface Prep included sanding with a random orbital, 3M pads in various other invented devices to get all the nooks and crannies. From prep work earlier, I knew I had some body repairs I wanted to make to dents and small holes but once I got started, it was hard to stop. A week turned into two and then three but I was finally nearing the painting process.

Name:	20221028_134019.jpg
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	71581Click image for larger version

Name:	20221019_170957.jpg
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	71582Click image for larger version

Name:	20221020_165746.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	71583Click image for larger version

Name:	20221109_165616.jpg
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	71584
To be continued...
Old 04-25-2023, 09:24 PM   #110
Bus Nut

Painting Dayzzz part 2

My paint choice was based on the fact that I had a gallon left over from a previous bus paint job. I used Benjamin Moore super Spec Alkyd Enamel but had the color tweaked in an additional gallon for the top coat. This is an oil-based paint for industrial surfaces, railings, and playgrounds so I hope it will hold up well.

On my previous bus I had used an HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight and while it coated well, I ended up with an orange peel texture which I had hoped to avoid. Benjamin Moore recommends an airless sprayer so I went with this recommendation hoping I would achieve a smoother surface. After borrowing two spray rigs from friends and not getting them to work, I wound up renting one and commenced painting early one evening.

The first couple of spray passes looked good but then the spray tip began splattering large globs of paint and I got a sinking feeling that things were not going to go well. I grabbed a smooth foam roller and flattened out the offending bumps and try it again with various pressures and techniques. Again I got one good pass and then things would turn South. After short time I resolved to spray coating and then back rolling which seemed to achieve a decent result, although the same orange peel texture as my original bus. So the thought of spraying the bus in an hour or two turned into a marathon wrapping up at 1:00 in the morning after clean up.

Name:	20221110_143049.jpg
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	71614
The final highlight that night came while cleaning the spray rig, the return tube flew out of the cleaning bucket and splattered mineral spirits on the back corner of the bus to give it a lovely pockmarked texture. All in all the surface looked decent for rolling and brushing in tight corners.

Name:	20221110_143716.jpg
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	71615
Reluctantly I decided to forgo spraying the second coat to avoid any further mishaps. The following day, I returned to roll on the top coat which was much less stressful although time consuming. By rolling on a covering coat and then back rolling with little to no pressure to prevent roller marks. The final results are not professional by any means but look good to most people, and to me from 8-10' The plus side of this material is that I can do touch-ups as needed.
Then began the process of cleanup and reassembly.

Name:	20221114_165014.jpg
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	71616Click image for larger version

Name:	20221117_112941.jpg
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	71618
We finally got her out in her natural habitat and took her to BC for spring break. Coming back to the US, the customs agent said he had to step aboard. "Here we go". He actually just wanted a tour of the bus. As he left, he said "you missed the wheels!"

Name:	20230403_131044.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	71617
Old 04-11-2024, 10:27 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyardseashell View Post
Here is a (fuzzy) image of how my wires are labeled.

Hi

I have the same bus model as you and was curious if you knew how to disable the emergency exit alarm?

I accidentally broke one of our window handles and now I can't get it to stop. I have tried removing all ground on the windows but that hasn't done the trick.

Any advice?

Thanks
Gallivanting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:37 AM   #112
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanting View Post
Hi

I have the same bus model as you and was curious if you knew how to disable the emergency exit alarm?

I accidentally broke one of our window handles and now I can't get it to stop. I have tried removing all ground on the windows but that hasn't done the trick.

Any advice?

Thanks
You should be able to find the sensor in the frame of the broken window and pull it out and cross the wires to silence the alarm unless it's more complicated.

This is a bit of a dirty hack, and may not work on a more complicated system; but should allow you to silence the alarm until you can get around to removing the system entirely.

Removing the ground from the rest of them should only open the circuit for the rest of the sensors--which means that you're going from 'one' alarm to all of them.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:03 PM   #113
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanting View Post
Hi

Any advice?

Thanks
I was fortunate in not having any alarms on our windows. I believe I found the alarm itself for the doors and removed it. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:49 PM   #114
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
wow what a thread LOL!
awesome build.

so i am hoping to disconnect the window alarm & the side sign activation/heater by removing a fuse from the brain above the seat?
i will be trying to find a fuse schematic for my Thomas brain to see if this is possible.
i try to keep everything OEM without gutting and jerry-riggin stuff.
my bus, motor, electrical is very dependable because of this.

also on my list is cruise control.
thanks for that info!

i keep my COOL BUS original to stay off the radar like you said LOL
nobody cuts me off, they let me over and lets me go first at stop signs LOL.
cops dont even look at me!

i love your color and suggest putting some rim simulators to give it that extra pop!
you can get Stainless Steel on amazon for like $275
it makes all the difference in the world and you cant even tell.
i run snow chains on them as well.
its what all the paramedics and ambulances run.

i am curios about the set up that levels the bed instead of the bus.
that is a great idea did you get it to work?

Attached Thumbnails
chrome simulator.jpg   simulator 1.jpg   LOTW 12-15-23 1.jpg