Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25
Routing Exhaust...

Well, I'm thinking hard on finally making some serious rear underbelly storage. I'd like to re-route the exhaust so that rather than exit clear in the back, from under the bumper, it would exit just ahead of the pass. side rear tires, clearing some space for framing in the storage. The only hesitation I have is that I don't want to be breathing exhaust. I'm picturing the occasional traffic jam, or setting at one of those looong lights. We like to travel with all our windows open when the weather permits.
Any tricks to helping the exhaust stay away from my bus if I go this route? I like the looks of Jkindt's job on his bus...(How's that working out for you, Jkindt? --hope all's well w/ your current situation, btw) Can you still have the windows above open, or do they tend to suck the exhaust back in? Any input is welcome and appreciated.

bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Routing Exhaust...

dont have it just go out the side. have it aimed down on an angle. google some big truck pictures to get a feeling for what would work the best i guess
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-ted
...I like the looks of Jkindt's job on his bus...(How's that working out for you, Jkindt? --hope all's well w/ your current situation, btw) Can you still have the windows above open, or do they tend to suck the exhaust back in? Any input is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks, the exhaust work that I did is working out very well. In fact, it seems like I smell less exhaust when parked than I did before and when in motion I can't smell a thing. I just made sure that the end of the exhaust tip was about an inch or so past the side of the bus so that the exhaust clears the body. My last section of pipe is horizontal but is angled very slightly to the rear. If I were to do it again I would have had the pipe bent to a 90 degree and come straight out the side. As for my current situation, we are staying with my in-laws until we can find a new place to live. We worked out a deal with our landlord to keep our stuff in the garage so we don't have to use the bus as a shed. (An 8 window bus can hold a LOT of stuff!!!) We haven't found anything acceptable for less than about $1000 per month!!! We were only paying $600 before so it is quite a difference. Other than that, we are planning on heading out to the lake on Monday and spending the whole week out there. I figure we may as well live in the bus at the lake since we don't really have our own home anyways.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it will work out for me. Other than your conversion, I haven't come across any good examples, and as far as trucks go, I can get ideas of how to route it, but it doesn't tell me if the exhaust coming back in through windows would be a problem. I'm gonna do it!

Well, keep your chins up- I'm sure the right place will open up. If your inlaws are like mine were, though, I'm sure your chomping at the bit to find your own space (thus the camping trip, eh? Haha) Take care up there.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote