Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Aluminum in contact with steel will oxidize very rapidly and produce a white powder like what you are seeing. The two metals absolutely MUST be kept isolated/insulated from one another.
Thank you, did not know that.

So it seems like that green gunk was supposed to provide an offset to prevent physical contact?

nomadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Takes some fairly serious insulation to prevent corrosion between steel & aluminum (also known as dissimilar metals effect or galvanic corrosion). Paint alone won't last long. Something like rubberized undercoating topped with some truck bed liner should do the job but it will take several, thick coats. And if they are screwed or bolted together, they will still react due to being electrically connected by the fasteners. Industrial grade adhesives are best for joining dissimilar metals but you have to also make sure the adhesive is totally non-conductive (some do contain metals).

Tricky, but it can be done.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
Bus Nut

What about some of the self-sealing self-stick rubber membranes designed for the edges of shingled roofs? They're pretty thick, rubberized, and self-stick.

I've used it on some projects where I had pressure treated wood in contact with steel to keep the chemicals from eating the steel away.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadman View Post

That's great, link to it when its sketched up, would love to see it.

I need to find the login for one of the sites I can hotlink images to, but

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U7PWoFajZGnNmyE22

I'm shooting for a weekend camper for short trips, or a rig that will be comfortable for longer drives (4-6 hours or so.) My goal was the ability to seat 4, and sleep 3 (2 bunks + couch turns into a small bed.) Your build is interesting because I was starting to think a cutaway would be too short - but 12 feet will work just fine, and if I could find a 6-window, I might get 14 feet. The problem I'm having now is that the couch might not be the best seat to talk to the driver - there's no passenger/navigator seat - that's where the stairs are. If I did a pair of captains chairs where the couch is, that gives me 3 seats, but only 2 bunks. . . .

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning. I'm at the point where I've decided that this idea might be financially doable in the first place, so I'm working on some numbers and ideas to see how it works.

I'll start a thread on it sometime, cause I've seen a lot of ideas that I want to incorporate lately from various posts.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Removed the rivets and took the panel up. (First ever skoolie with a bottom trap door anybody?)

Pics of before and after vacuuming the powder out of there.

Gameplan is to de rust that section the best I can, and get a replacement aluminum panel made to throw over the top. Only issue now is how to get the section of this panel out that is underlapped... really don't want to rip out ALL of the floor panels. I'm guessing I will have to de-rivet that section and then pull it out (unless there are better ideas?)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3279.jpg   IMG_3280.jpg  
Old 05-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Closed off the coolant loop. Will need to replace the fluid in the line and also figure out where to dispose of the coolant that leaked out into the bucket. (Open to ideas )
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3276.jpg  
Old 08-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #27
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
CHaRM Facility

It's a bit late, but this place should take the coolant AFAIK

Also thanks for the reminder on the tool library
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
*cough* weed killer *cough*...

I'm curious why everyone leaves all the coolant lines and such in place when they delete the heaters.. Why not loop it at the engine and delete the potential leak of all that hose/line?
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

dumb question.....why are you using aluminum sheets? Gavanized steel 18 guage sheets are readily available and not expensive......
Harold 1951 is offline   Reply With Quote