Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
It's been awhile, so here is an update.
I did get a new controller and installed it. The replacement was slightly different and the gas line is a different angle. I got new copper tubing, comes in a 5 foot roll. The gas line connects at a T behind the fridge(accessed outside), and snakes under the back of the hot water tank, there it makes a u-turn out the back of the water heater housing at the precice angle to mate up with the brass fitting to the controller. This angle had to be right on to get the threads started, but it’s too tight under the cabinet to do any bending. I put it in place, looked, measured, pulled it out made a bend, put it back in and figure out how to adjust it again. This new copper tubing seems softer than the vintage tubing that came out of the bus. I’m o.k. with bending it, the cutting was a problem. My pipe cutter would put a groove near the end that prevented the compression fitting from sealing. I finally got it in and pressurized the gas line. I had read about testing for leaks with soapy water. I put some dish soap and water in a squirt bottle and the test works! There’s a bubble. I pulled the line out again and redid the bends and recut the end. It had a loop to get out, I had to change that and have a more precice bend, but I made it work. I needed about 5 feet of tubing, so nothing to spare, and nothing flexible in this line. I put it together, and didn’t get back at it for about a week. I found that I had left the gas on for the week. The tank wasn’t empty, so I was happy the system was solid. I still have to reinstall the thermo-couples, the two tiny aluminum tubes that tell me they want to snap if I look at them. I didn’t want to fill the water tank since it was last fall and freezing temps were on the way. I better get it together while it’s still warm!
The generator: I drained the old gas, took apart the carb and saw it was clean, oil was full. I found a gas station that sells 100 octane gas. I put some in and it fired right up. I’m not sure if I’ll use this generator on the bus, as it is, it’s too tall to fit under without hanging below the body. I might be able to offset the gas tank to mount it higher.
you have more patience than I do - I'm 80 years old, and with that bus it would still be sitting in my driveway as they hauled me off to my funeral - lol

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1955
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 6700
Engine: 327
It’s been awhile, I haven’t done much with the bus. I was using it for band practice for awhile, great acoustics. Now it’s a handy storage space. I received a notice in the mail that my bus was on some property and would be hauled off if I didn’t move it in two weeks! This is the 1955 Kenworth that I sold to the dudes from Oregon. They had abandoned it at a park and ride, and got someone who wanted to live in it to take it. I contacted the dudes, they still had the title (in my name) and they said they now have a rollback. I filed the paperwork to prove that I did not own this bus. I found the bus on google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.9492...7i16384!8i8192
The dudes let me know that they were able to get the ’55 Kenworth. They will clean it up and sell it, I’m sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Kenworth.PNG  
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote