Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #361
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Got it titled and transferred the tag from our IC to this bus. Cost $300. Not as much as our van cost.
We're really excited that Chris is gonna come for Xmas. Now we can legally drive it to starbucks for coffee!
We may get a custom plate when the build is done. Still mulling over various names but you all know I'm not big on naming stuff.
Need to start a new thread soon.

Its raining cats and dogs today but once it calms down we'll slap the tag on this beast and go fill it up with diesel and HotShot's.
I need to get some new tires and get rid of the 65mph shakes. A small bump in HP and transmission upgrade are on the short list, too.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #362
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Got it titled and transferred the tag from our IC to this bus. Cost $300. Not as much as our van cost.
We're really excited that Chris is gonna come for Xmas. Now we can legally drive it to starbucks for coffee!
We may get a custom plate when the build is done. Still mulling over various names but you all know I'm not big on naming stuff.
Need to start a new thread soon.
Congrats.

Quote:
Its raining cats and dogs today but once it calms down we'll slap the tag on this beast and go fill it up with diesel and HotShot's.
I need to get some new tires and get rid of the 65mph shakes. A small bump in HP and transmission upgrade are on the short list, too.
The shorter list should include Donut King. Then you can head out to Rural King for the rest.

What is it with all the Kings anyway?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #363
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Rain rain go away! It's the same here. We're taking our "first trip" in the new bus tomorrow!
Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #364
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Just wonder if those shakes are driveshaft related from raising the bus. That is some angle to work at for the shafts and ujoints. Grease em up good. And good luck with it, Merry Xmas to you and Roxy and enjoy time well spent with Chris.

John
Old 12-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #365
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Congrats.

The shorter list should include Donut King. Then you can head out to Rural King for the rest.

What is it with all the Kings anyway?
Anyone who's "King" has to be the tops, right??
Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #366
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Just wonder if those shakes are driveshaft related from raising the bus. That is some angle to work at for the shafts and ujoints. Grease em up good. And good luck with it, Merry Xmas to you and Roxy and enjoy time well spent with Chris.

John
Yeah, the driveline angles can't be helping.
We'll get it sorted out!
Yall have a happy Xmas and new year John.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #367
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Rain rain go away! It's the same here. We're taking our "first trip" in the new bus tomorrow!
The weather is horrendous! I'm shocked we haven't lost our broadband connection. Its full on tornado type weather today.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #368
Bus Geek

Quote:
Anyone who's "King" has to be the tops, right??
Hasn't been any kings since 1845. Had to google that. I thought it was 1824 or 1829 for some reason. 1821 it became a US territory. Still not 1824.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #369
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
One of these days I'm gonna get some of those much revered King Donuts. We really need to visit you guys soon anyway!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #370
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
One of these days I'm gonna get some of those much revered King Donuts. We really need to visit you guys soon anyway!
I only know of their fame; I've not had one either. I'm going down to JAX in Jan. If I end up making a run to Sanibel, I might have to make a detour.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #371
Bus Geek

Quote:
I only know of their fame; I've not had one either. I'm going down to JAX in Jan. If I end up making a run to Sanibel, I might have to make a detour.
Come over and we'll take the shorty over to Mascotte for Donut King.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #372
Bus Geek

Quote:
Come over and we'll take the shorty over to Mascotte for Donut King.
That only adds 1/2 an hour to the drive. IF we do the Sanibel leg, you're on!

Playing with google maps, there's a Donut King in Tally. What the hell?!? I guess I'd know that if I ever visited my brother or dad.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #373
Bus Geek

Right next to FSU and across the street from Mike's Drive Thru Beer Barn. How convenient.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #374
Bus Geek

Sounds nice!
Funny how the day I get the bus legal to drive its pouring rain.
Now I'm chomping at the bit to get to work on this bus. Gonna be on a budget like always but I think I will use automotive grade paint. There's now a good mom n pop auto paint supplier near my home. I've found single stage stuff for as low as $60/gal WITH hardener included. Its been a LONG time since I sprayed anything other than a bit of rustoleum here and there. As long as it hold up I'll be happy.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #375
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sounds nice!
Funny how the day I get the bus legal to drive its pouring rain.
Now I'm chomping at the bit to get to work on this bus. Gonna be on a budget like always but I think I will use automotive grade paint. There's now a good mom n pop auto paint supplier near my home. I've found single stage stuff for as low as $60/gal WITH hardener included. Its been a LONG time since I sprayed anything other than a bit of rustoleum here and there. As long as it hold up I'll be happy.
So what do you know about paint? Admittedly I did a shitty job both prepping and spraying my paint but it still doesn't make sense to me. I used the oil based RustOelum and acetone for thinner. Light sanding with orbital and 120 grit (?) and wiped down with xylene damp rag.

The paint is flaking off in big pieces. Like 6" by 4" kinda big. Found them laying on the ground in front of the bus. At first I thought it was from under teh tarp. I noticed the paint bubbling there in big patches like that when it was wet. After a sunny day the paint bubble was flat again. Couldn't find any missing when I took a quick peek. Couple of days later I noticed a big piece missing off the back of the bus. A spot that is full sun all day.

Now here's the weird part, it took the school bus yellow with it!! If it was my crappy prep and/or painting I would expect the yellow to still be there. It's not. Did the xylene do that? Is the Rustoelum and acetone eating thru the OEM paint?

It's getting repainted anyway (eventually) and if you recall I only painted to get it registered. The "mess" should clean up easily (I hope) with a putty knife. The unmolested yellow and white are fine. I would like to know what the issue is before doing a real paint job.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #376
Bus Geek

Sounds like something reacting. IDK.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #377
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sounds like something reacting. IDK.
No kidding!! Even I knew that.

I need to go back out there and see if the "bald" spots are rusting. The paint came off but the primer and/or grey scale is still on there.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #378
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
So what do you know about paint? Admittedly I did a shitty job both prepping and spraying my paint but it still doesn't make sense to me. I used the oil based RustOelum and acetone for thinner. Light sanding with orbital and 120 grit (?) and wiped down with xylene damp rag.

The paint is flaking off in big pieces. Like 6" by 4" kinda big. Found them laying on the ground in front of the bus. At first I thought it was from under teh tarp. I noticed the paint bubbling there in big patches like that when it was wet. After a sunny day the paint bubble was flat again. Couldn't find any missing when I took a quick peek. Couple of days later I noticed a big piece missing off the back of the bus. A spot that is full sun all day.

Now here's the weird part, it took the school bus yellow with it!! If it was my crappy prep and/or painting I would expect the yellow to still be there. It's not. Did the xylene do that? Is the Rustoelum and acetone eating thru the OEM paint?

It's getting repainted anyway (eventually) and if you recall I only painted to get it registered. The "mess" should clean up easily (I hope) with a putty knife. The unmolested yellow and white are fine. I would like to know what the issue is before doing a real paint job.

Before painting I pressure washed my bus extensively and the clear coat blew off about 1/4 of the bus in one section. It just wasn’t adhering to the color coat anymore. I think that probably you had some sections where the base coat was failing. No solution other than to sand it down and redo the section from scratch. One reason I’m kind of glad I rolled the bus is that it looks fine and if you need to touch it up it totally blends in.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #379
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Before painting I pressure washed my bus extensively and the clear coat blew off about 1/4 of the bus in one section. It just wasn’t adhering to the color coat anymore. I think that probably you had some sections where the base coat was failing. No solution other than to sand it down and redo the section from scratch. One reason I’m kind of glad I rolled the bus is that it looks fine and if you need to touch it up it totally blends in.
To you I'd ask what do you know about the different mfg paint process? I'm a '99 Blue Bird. Not that much older than you but I'm fairly sure I don't have a clear coat. Is that a Thomas-BB thing, a '99-'01 thing, or none of teh above? The bus must have been shiny and sparkly at some point. Should still be in that one spot under that thingamajig. I've not found that one spot on mine yet. The yellow became "brighter" after the sanding but that's about it. I've not noticed any spots that look like clear coat peeling, flaking, missing, etc. either which should be easy to see where someone rubbed the bus going around something. Confused I are.

I didn't pressure wash mine in the true sense but I did take it to a truck wash and used the wand on it. Fair amount of dirt came out from under the rub rails. It wasn't 2700 psi (not that you want that unless you are trying to remove the paint) but it wasn't a garden hose with a lawn sprayer either.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:53 AM   #380
Bus Geek

Hope one day our bus looks like this, only green and white-