Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #461
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
With all the rain we've had I've noticed this is the least leaky of the buses we've had.
Two places which do seem to be leaky are the usual suspects- the roof hatch and wc door.
The wc door doesn't compress the weatherstripping on the top part. looks like the door is bent slightly wrong and doesn't close as tightly at the top as at the bottom.
The roof hatch is easy enough to fix. The wc door I'll probably just double up on weather stripping.

Sure is nice having that rattly WC lift out. Gonna take it to the store and top off the fuel thursday.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #462
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
With all the rain we've had I've noticed this is the least leaky of the buses we've had.
Two places which do seem to be leaky are the usual suspects- the roof hatch and wc door.
The wc door doesn't compress the weatherstripping on the top part. looks like the door is bent slightly wrong and doesn't close as tightly at the top as at the bottom.
The roof hatch is easy enough to fix. The wc door I'll probably just double up on weather stripping.

Sure is nice having that rattly WC lift out. Gonna take it to the store and top off the fuel thursday.
by closing the door on a piece of 2" x 4" placed about the 1/2 way point on the door frame, push on the upper part of the door - that 'amazing' technique is practiced by virtually all car dealerships during the pre-delivery inspection of your new car if the doors aren't closing properly
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #463
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Just an FYI. quite sure it's been posted somewhere here before. The Federal Government first enacted size regulations for CMVs with the passage of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. This Act provided a maximum vehicle width of 96 inches (2.44 meters) on the Interstate highway system. Subsequently, the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1976 increased the allowable width for buses to 102 inches (2.6 meters). The Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) of 1982 extended the same width requirement of 102 inches to commercial trucks. At the same time, the STAA expanded the highway network on which the Federal width provision applied from the Interstate to the National Network (NN) of highways. (See discussion of the NN on page 12.)

The STAA also regulated the length of CMVs. In 1982, Congress established minimum length standards for most commercial truck tractor-semitrailers and for twin trailers pulled behind a truck tractor. (See discussion beginning on page 2.) Congressional involvement in vehicle length reflected the desire to standardize the enforcement of length along the NN and to thereby eliminate any administrative and operating confusion caused by varying State provisions governing commercial vehicle length along that element of U.S. highways.

There is no Federal vehicle height requirement for CMVs. Thus, States may set their own height restrictions. Most height limits range from 13 feet, 6 inches (4.11 meters) to 14 feet (4.27 meters), with exceptions granted for lower clearance on particular roads.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #464
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
by closing the door on a piece of 2" x 4" placed about the 1/2 way point on the door frame, push on the upper part of the door - that 'amazing' technique is practiced by virtually all car dealerships during the pre-delivery inspection of your new car if the doors aren't closing properly
Yeah I'm considering something like that. There's already a bend since its a Thomas. Its just not bent enough. Yet. Its a fairly beefy door so we'll see.
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #465
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
Just an FYI. quite sure it's been posted somewhere here before. The Federal Government first enacted size regulations for CMVs with the passage of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. This Act provided a maximum vehicle width of 96 inches (2.44 meters) on the Interstate highway system. Subsequently, the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1976 increased the allowable width for buses to 102 inches (2.6 meters). The Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) of 1982 extended the same width requirement of 102 inches to commercial trucks. At the same time, the STAA expanded the highway network on which the Federal width provision applied from the Interstate to the National Network (NN) of highways. (See discussion of the NN on page 12.)

The STAA also regulated the length of CMVs. In 1982, Congress established minimum length standards for most commercial truck tractor-semitrailers and for twin trailers pulled behind a truck tractor. (See discussion beginning on page 2.) Congressional involvement in vehicle length reflected the desire to standardize the enforcement of length along the NN and to thereby eliminate any administrative and operating confusion caused by varying State provisions governing commercial vehicle length along that element of U.S. highways.

There is no Federal vehicle height requirement for CMVs. Thus, States may set their own height restrictions. Most height limits range from 13 feet, 6 inches (4.11 meters) to 14 feet (4.27 meters), with exceptions granted for lower clearance on particular roads.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #466
Bus Geek

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me.
I know there are limits to vehicle height and length. Legal limits are good to know but I'm three feet under the FL limit and scraping stuff already.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #467
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me.
I know there are limits to vehicle height and length. Legal limits are good to know but I'm three feet under the FL limit and scraping stuff already.
Agreed. For people who want to travel (mostly) uninhibited err on the side of the shortest maximum height. Then it comes down to your actual use case. I sure as hell wouldn't want a bus with a height of 13'6". I'd have branches scraping it all the time.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #468
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Agreed. For people who want to travel (mostly) uninhibited err on the side of the shortest maximum height. Then it comes down to your actual use case. I sure as hell wouldn't want a bus with a height of 13'6". I'd have branches scraping it all the time.
I'm thinking we'll go with a mini split instead of rooftop ac. No chance of branches or cables hitting the ac that way.
We've even got a few low bridges here.

I can barely park it at the waffle house as it is. If I lose any clearance I'll have to park at wendy's and walk!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #469
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Yeah...but Wendy's has Frosties and Waffle House doesn't!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #470
Bus Geek

Our local wendy's is BAD.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #471
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Yea, I'm constantly removing stuff from the top of my step van, no higher than a bus.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 AM   #472
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
Yea, I'm constantly removing stuff from the top of my step van, no higher than a bus.
This bus sits about as high as the bus we raised the roof on.

I'm looking at mini split ac systems so I won't have to put anything big on the roof. I will add a couple roof vents but I'm considering going with these low profile maxxair units even though I've got two Fantastic units already.

The fantastic vents I've got are nice but the rain covers are fixed and stand about 12" or so.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #473
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
I'm considering going with these low profile maxxair units even though I've got two Fantastic units already.

The fantastic vents I've got are nice but the rain covers are fixed and stand about 12" or so.

Solid choice. We're really happy with the performance of our Maxxair fans and the low-profile of them is a sweet bonus.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #474
Bus Geek

Only downside to them vs the Fantastics is that they use a lot more power to run.
I like the two support points on the Maxxairs though. They look beefier.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #475
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:

Our WC door did that same thing. I added some weatherstripping and put one of these on the top
https://www.amazon.com/Phansthy-550l...ps+Packed+2pcs

That worked great, sucks to door in.
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #476
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Our local wendy's is BAD.

your Local Waffle house is RAD
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 PM   #477
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
Our WC door did that same thing. I added some weatherstripping and put one of these on the top
https://www.amazon.com/Phansthy-550l...ps+Packed+2pcs

That worked great, sucks to door in.
Thanks!
using clamps hadn't even occurred to me.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 PM   #478
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
It was actually my wife’s idea!
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:00 AM   #479
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
It was actually my wife’s idea!
makes up for the solo seat removal!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #480
Bus Geek

Another couple hours of peeling and I'll have the decals and reflective tape gone.
IMO this part is the worst. I hate it.
Can't wait to actually have a painted bus!!! It'll be GREEN.

Next year when we have to renew the tag we will pick a cool custom plate for it. Something with an Irish nationalist theme! The Fenian bus. The Hoops bus. A busload of Tims. Paradise! lol sorry folks I've been stuck at home with an infection so I'm BORED!
Days like this are why I NEED to be closer to my bus.