Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #141
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I’ve built engines swapped trannies jacked up everything but a house , impacted sanded wheeled ground drilled fixed lotsa stuff with HF tools..

And the best part is I don’t go ape crazy if I drop a socket or wrench into FenderLand..

Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #142
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Watched it. I've no idea what a cordless with a 1200 rating costs elsewhere but $250 is kinda pricey for HF and cordless.

I haven't tried my lugs yet. I think a better test would be one of the lugs that hasn't been replaced. I dunno how many miles since mine were off last. I wanna say mine are painted even. They are black and not shiny at least.

I'll try with my pneumatic. Might need to crank it to 120psi. I'm ok with that but I really don't want to go to 150 or higher.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #143
Bus Geek

I hammer 120 PSI through my impacts all the time.. they usually blow out their oil but they get things loose!!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #144
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
and the BIG one? no A/C..
-Christopher
You jabbing back at me? It's ok if you are. Just checking. I should have held out for an AC'ed bus. At least they come with it. I dunno if you can get a shortie with the 8.3L or not. With the right gearing, tt would go up a wall. Or 200 mph.

Quote:
And the best part is I don’t go ape crazy if I drop a socket or wrench into FenderLand..

Christopher
I do because now I gotta go buy another one. And when/where the hell is that one going to come out. I don't need it taking out a pulley or something stupid on its way to someone's windshield.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #145
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
You jabbing back at me? It's ok if you are. Just checking. I should have held out for an AC'ed bus. At least they come with it. I dunno if you can get a shortie with the 8.3L or not. With the right gearing, tt would go up a wall. Or 200 mph.

I do because now I gotta go buy another one. And when/where the hell is that one going to come out. I don't need it taking out a pulley or something stupid on its way to someone's windshield.

LOL i was jabbing at EC abouyt no AC.. lol.. so many people on here take them out.. snag one up and then you have AC..

I was so hoping that one lady's Shortie was an 8.3,, too bad it was a fake.. a conventional 8.3 shorty wouldve been Bad***!!

come on dude.. its a HF socket or wrench its gonna rust away long before it has a chance to fly out and take out a pulley..

-Christopher
Old 07-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #146
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I've got a set of Craftsman hand tools I bought in like 1997 and that's an area I'm still not buying HF tools. I haven't busted my knuckles in so long I have an unhealthy fear of doing it. Before I bought those, I was using autozone and buffalo and every other cheap ass tool and I've exploded sockets and ratchets and busted tons of wrenches and that all ended when I ponied up on a good set of tools.

But almost everything else I own came from HF.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #147
Bus Geek

Quote:
LOL i was jabbing at EC abouyt no AC.. lol.. so many people on here take them out.. snag one up and then you have AC..
I need to go exploring. I haven't checked out the Classified section. There is a classified section here, right?

Quote:
I was so hoping that one lady's Shortie was an 8.3,, too bad it was a fake.. a conventional 8.3 shorty wouldve been Bad***!!
Was it? Last I checked in, everyone was waiting for her to get back to us. That's too bad.

Are there buses that use the 8.3L in an FE?

Quote:
come on dude.. its a HF socket or wrench its gonna rust away long before it has a chance to fly out and take out a pulley..-Christopher
It was a Tractor Supply and $15~$20 but there's a deep well 1 5/16" bouncing down the road somewhere between here and NY (???). I bought one and I think it rolled thru the hole where the fuel neck is.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #148
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've got a set of Craftsman hand tools I bought in like 1997 and that's an area I'm still not buying HF tools. I haven't busted my knuckles in so long I have an unhealthy fear of doing it. Before I bought those, I was using autozone and buffalo and every other cheap ass tool and I've exploded sockets and ratchets and busted tons of wrenches and that all ended when I ponied up on a good set of tools.
That too depends on application. The 1st gen RX-7s that are carb'ed have 4 bolts holding it to the intake. 3 of the 4 you can get. One of those 3 is something like an 1/8th of a turn at a time. The 4th one you will not get without a crescent wrench. And I don't mean an open ended wrench. You need a wrench that is bent in a crescent shape. I'm sure Snap On or someone sells one for $30~$50 somewhere. I just bought a cheapy Vatozone or Wally World and beat it with a hammer until I got the right arc. I'm not doing that to a Craftsman or other life time warranty wrench. That's the perfect time to buy a HF wrench. Or if you need a socket you're going to weld on something.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #149
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've got a set of Craftsman hand tools
P.S. All, you know you can get Craftsman at K-Mart and Lowe's now. Just FYI
Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #150
Bus Geek

Quote:
That too depends on application. The 1st gen RX-7s that are carb'ed have 4 bolts holding it to the intake. 3 of the 4 you can get. One of those 3 is something like an 1/8th of a turn at a time. The 4th one you will not get without a crescent wrench. And I don't mean an open ended wrench. You need a wrench that is bent in a crescent shape. I'm sure Snap On or someone sells one for $30~$50 somewhere. I just bought a cheapy Vatozone or Wally World and beat it with a hammer until I got the right arc. I'm not doing that to a Craftsman or other life time warranty wrench. That's the perfect time to buy a HF wrench. Or if you need a socket you're going to weld on something.

ive got some craftsmans in my garage too.. the tools i carry ON my busses are HF... if I break down.. rewrite.. WHEN I break down on the road.. i know i cant rebuild the bus, but I like to have enough tools to be able to make a valiant effort at rolling again.. but I also dont wanbt a box of expensive tools OnBoard that might end up getting stolen if I forget to lock the bus that night or such..

I also have a drawer in my toolbox of "custom tweaked" tools.. just like Bob, wrenches bent into interesting shapes, sockets ground down, etc..

I do generally buy decent quality BFH's. a socket falling out of a fender on the highway is one thing.. but a Hammer head going sailing on a Big Swing is another...

-Christopher
Old 07-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #151
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Honestly if HF needed a paid shill I'm enough of a fangirl I'd probably do it. But I wouldn't lie about which tools are good and which aren't. i'm 45 minutes from the closest store and I go there twice a month. My last big purchase was an airless paint sprayer and I knocked out the rest of the Wanderlodge's paint in about 2 hours.

The cordless impact I bought was for taking bus wheels off. My brother said it was the business and I didn't believe him, but I figured I could return it if it didn't do the deed. I didn't end up having to return it!

I notice you mention the battery being full. How much discharge comes from removing all 40 lug nuts?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #152
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I notice you mention the battery being full. How much discharge comes from removing all 40 lug nuts?

I was thinking the same but if you've got 4 flat bus tires on the side of the road, you're hosed whether you can get the wheels off or not. You might have a spare, maybe two if you're paranoid. But 4 or 6; you ain't got room for nothing else.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #153
Bus Geek

Quote:

I was thinking the same but if you've got 4 flat bus tires on the side of the road, you're hosed whether you can get the wheels off or not. You might have a spare, maybe two if you're paranoid. But 4 or 6; you ain't got room for nothing else.
I'm planning on scrapping a bus here and am wondering how I'll get all 40 lugs off to remove the wheels at the salvage. From what I'm hearing it's not going to be an easy job.Reminds me about 2 decades ago I had a flat on My Chevy 1 ton van with 8 lug wheels. They have an interference thread on them to keep them from backing off. So they never get loose when removing them, feel like they are cross threaded. Was quite the job in 100° heat. The biatch was they were just as hard getting them back on.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #154
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Well after removing and replacing 4 or 5 of them it was still full but I was planning to do a follow up video covering how much you can do on a charge. I need to find a 3 ft piece of fence post to give me a shade tree torque estimator. Because torque scales linearly with the length of the lever, me standing on the end of a 3 foot lever will give me 540 lb/ft, or close enough for government work.

I don't really expect to get 40 off and back on, but for a roadside wheel change it's gonna have plenty.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #155
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well after removing and replacing 4 or 5 of them it was still full but I was planning to do a follow up video covering how much you can do on a charge. I need to find a 3 ft piece of fence post to give me a shade tree torque estimator. Because torque scales linearly with the length of the lever, me standing on the end of a 3 foot lever will give me 540 lb/ft, or close enough for government work.

I don't really expect to get 40 off and back on, but for a roadside wheel change it's gonna have plenty.
I know in most cases you would only need to remove and replace 10, and that will certainly do that. I just know the first time I will attempt removing bus lug nuts, it will be all 40. I may find a truck place to remove some or loosen them before I head the last mile to salvage. I don't even know If I could get 6 wheels in the back of my Dakota.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #156
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I know in most cases you would only need to remove and replace 10, and that will certainly do that. I just know the first time I will attempt removing bus lug nuts, it will be all 40. I may find a truck place to remove some or loosen them before I head the last mile to salvage. I don't even know If I could get 6 wheels in the back of my Dakota.
Take a 10 foot, thick walled pipe?

I would think they would fit. Stand them up so the roll side to side. If they fit between the wheel wells so as to not roll completely over the edge, you should be able to stand 6 up and get the tailgate closed. 5 for sure and then put the 6th along the side. Slash them all together and you should be good.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #157
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I know it's rude for people to do it, but that's youtube. Also, Google doesn't care which arrow someone clicks, if they click an arrow they rank your video better because it shows engagement.

I put up a video on a harbor freight impact gun and I got some amazing comments.

"Wow, you and your brother are both idiots."
"You are an idiot. You know nothing about tools and probably need to spend more time in your "short bus".
"i agree but youre an idiot i love hf"
"You talk too much lol"

Then half the rest are saying I'm a shill for harbor freight,t he rest are saying I'm too mean to harbor freight. One guy said I'm a paid tool salesman who travels the world in a bus selling tools.

That's just Youtube. Your video was cool.
LOL yeah except this wasn't as much "youtube" as it was SKOOLIE.
Every time I post a video here it gets that one thumbs-down.
I just wanted to publicly invite whoever it is to engage in a real discussion about why they lurk around just to troll and hate on people who are active in the community here.
I was the first view, Christopher was second. That third hit was the jerk.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #158
Bus Geek

Quote:

come on dude.. its a HF socket or wrench its gonna rust away long before it has a chance to fly out and take out a pulley..

-Christopher
I'll bet it was those "nice" bus conversion folks in TN charging 35k that gave me the thumbs down lol. That "debbieJay" is a shill for the "skoolie homes" company in TN and "she" was only here to troll me.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #159
Bus Geek

Quote:
Wasn't me. Didn't watch it until just now but I can see wheere it deserves a thumbs down. 1) your dog training skills need some work. 2) it's not a Blue Bird 3) it's not an 8.3L

What's that in the back corner behind the seat?

Your handicap doors are too wide. They've got to be at least 36" wide. Probably a tad wider for the wheel chairs. I need a 32" (I think). Maybe 35" (???). I need to measure again between the ribs instead of on center.
Back corner- that's a heater.
I like the entry way of the IC better. Its got a WIDE door and stairs. The Thomas is sorta "pinched" at the opening.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #160
Bus Geek

Quote:
and the BIG one? no A/C..

really though.. its an awesome bus.. and screw youtube videos.. i get thumbs down on my vids all the time as well as ignorant comments..

like the guy that told me I was adjusting my fan clutch springs backwards.. even though he later said he hated viscous clutches anyway cause the fans never turn on... hmmm maybe HE is adjusting his springs backwards..
-Christopher
Probably the same gnat buzzing around your vids.