Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #561
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post

Did Shaun ever fix the front cover on the TX shorty?
No he sold it to a heavy equipment guy he knows.

Navistar must have put the sealant packs in when I took it to them and complained. It never leaked at all after I took it in.
They did charge me like $200 or so to look at it.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #562
Bus Geek

Can't thank Ronnie enough for the help. The bus sure does drive/ride better without all that vibration. Ronnie is a MASTER of all things mechanical. He's steam but definitely no punk lol.
Had a grand feast last night at Burgers, Tacos, and Waffles. Ronnie and Dee got to try Jarritos for the first time.

Can't wait to see yall again at the swarm.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #563
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
In a smaller bus not used in the Rockies I think the 545 is alright. Adequate at best.
I'd jump on a bus in a rusty state if it had REAL nice running gear. Like a rusty OH bus but has a low mile 3126/A2000 combo.
But honestly I'd HAVE to regear to be able to even use OD.
Check out Macalister in Indianapolis. They get rust belt stuff but some of it is suprisingly buses with AC and air ride.

When I was there last march they had a few 6 window Freightliner Thomas shorties like yours with AC and low pros. High roof too. They don't put price tags on anything on their lot and I was only there on a Sunday when they were closed but if I had to guess it would've been 2-4k range.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #564
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Glad to hear your ride smoothed out!

My A3RE has a shake between 42 and 52 mph. Smooth above and below that range... I tried testing by swapping wheels with my TC2000 but one bus has Webb and the other has Budd so while they more or less fit you can't actually align them straight.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #565
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post

My A3RE has a shake between 42 and 52 mph. Smooth above and below that range... I tried testing by swapping wheels with my TC2000 but one bus has Webb and the other has Budd so while they more or less fit you can't actually align them straight.
Mine was doing that a little bit too. The steering felt like it was wandering a bit at times. I am upgrading to Alcoa's and new rubber all around so maybe that will fix it.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #566
Bus Geek

Well that's just fancy!

Someone at the bus yard was being cheeky and spray painted my cheap steel wheels. From a distance they appear to be fancy, just don't get too close.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:01 AM   #567
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Well that's just fancy!

Someone at the bus yard was being cheeky and spray painted my cheap steel wheels. From a distance they appear to be fancy, just don't get too close.
Yeah, I scored these Alcoa's cheap. $100 per wheel which is way below the going price for them. Most guys want 200 or more for scratched/beat up ones.

I have a serious fetish for these wheels. They make a huge difference in terms of bus appearance.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #568
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Check out Macalister in Indianapolis. They get rust belt stuff but some of it is suprisingly buses with AC and air ride.

When I was there last march they had a few 6 window Freightliner Thomas shorties like yours with AC and low pros. High roof too. They don't put price tags on anything on their lot and I was only there on a Sunday when they were closed but if I had to guess it would've been 2-4k range.
I'm way too cheap to do that. I only paid $1600 for the bus.
I'd *maybe* pay a grand for a rusted out runner in OH with decent tires and running gear.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #569
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, I scored these Alcoa's cheap. $100 per wheel which is way below the going price for them. Most guys want 200 or more for scratched/beat up ones.

I have a serious fetish for these wheels. They make a huge difference in terms of bus appearance.
totally agreed. Alcoas are on my list of things I eventually plan for the bus.
Any chance I can score a couple?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #570
Bus Geek

Quote:

Check all the bushings in your rear air ride setup. Also REALLY check the hell out of your u-joints! ANY play on any of them can cause it.
I'd thought I'd checked mine, but ronnie found ONE joint that had a very small amount of play. That's all it took to make the bus shake up and down VIOLENTLY.
I still need to replace the 6 torque rod bushings in the rear but at least I dont have to do it NOW.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #571
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'd *maybe* pay a grand for a rusted out runner in OH with decent tires and running gear.
This was in Milwaukee, the guy had 36 other rims (some of them were peterbilt style ovals) but he sold all the rest to someone else.

He did say he would have more coming in the future though. Not sure how you'd get them down to Florida though.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #572
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
I'm like you in that regard --

Getting a complete bus would give you a rear end gear that would work with the o/d. Important if you were ever planning to tow.

A bus with a C7 should be just as easy to scavenge those parts from...
(more buses for you to keep an auction eye on...)

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #573
Bus Geek

That's the problem with buy a cheap bus... Everything you do to it seems crazy expensive considering how much you spent on it.

Currently trying to figure out how to put in a floor that doesn't cost as much as my whole dang bus because it has to solve problems buses don't have...
Old 01-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #574
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's the problem with buy a cheap bus... Everything you do to it seems crazy expensive considering how much you spent on it.

Currently trying to figure out how to put in a floor that doesn't cost as much as my whole dang bus because it has to solve problems buses don't have...
I'm all for spending $$ on the bus, just not gonna buy a "parts bus" for more than the good one.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #575
Bus Geek

Ronnie is amazing.

I got more pics but they are lost atm.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:34 PM   #576
Bus Geek

Got out there today and did the oil change. Went pretty easy. no video but i did get some pics. will get those tomorrow. The air filter was filthy so I changed it. Went oem on the air and oil filters and oddly they were cheaper than the filters I'd bought for the DT.
That's right- the Cat 3126 is cheaper to do a basic service on. And easy to do!

Went for a ride after that and took it to the local truck tire place behind the truckstop had the rears replaced. Open shoulders are LOUD. Smooth enough, but loud. I knew that already, though.

Hoping to do the transmission fluid tomorrow. Switching it from dex 3 to Transynd. I have 5 gallons left from when I had the bus with the 2000. Got a new spin on filter for the transmission. Its a napa one. They didn't have any at the Cat/Freightliner shop.
I also have a napa fuel water separator and Cat fuel filter to put on it. I'm going to prefill with the red ag stuff since I can get it already filtered from shauns big diesel tank.
Feels good to finally be getting caught up on maintenance.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #577
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

I love macalisters.. we got a buddy of mine an A3RE with 105k miles, very little rust, MD3060, air ride all 4 corners, air seat.. no A/C though.. but $2100 out the door.. that bus runs like a champ..

it was a local trade in so there's no auction markup and busses have really low trade in value. so their marlkup is minimal.. essentially they take the trades so the schools dont have to deal with disposing of their old busses.. they dont expect to make a ton on their older tradeins. some of their newer stuff has higher prices as its intended to go back into commercial service..

go to their website you can download a current inventory list of used busses and they have the pricing on them.. you can usually talk ron down a bit on pricing from the list on the spreadsheet.. the stock numbers are on the windshields so you can magtch them up to the sheet if you are interested in a bus

you definitely need to go there in person as some of the busses are rusty. I was looking at a shorty HDX with dual A/C. and the price was right, bus runs beautiful but the rust around the wheel-wells was a non starter for me.. if I was converting it might be something id have considered because I could fix the bad spots easily with seats and floor out..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #578
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I love macalisters.. we got a buddy of mine an A3RE with 105k miles, very little rust, MD3060, air ride all 4 corners, air seat.. no A/C though.. but $2100 out the door.. that bus runs like a champ..

it was a local trade in so there's no auction markup and busses have really low trade in value. so their marlkup is minimal.. essentially they take the trades so the schools dont have to deal with disposing of their old busses.. they dont expect to make a ton on their older tradeins. some of their newer stuff has higher prices as its intended to go back into commercial service..

go to their website you can download a current inventory list of used busses and they have the pricing on them.. you can usually talk ron down a bit on pricing from the list on the spreadsheet.. the stock numbers are on the windshields so you can magtch them up to the sheet if you are interested in a bus

you definitely need to go there in person as some of the busses are rusty. I was looking at a shorty HDX with dual A/C. and the price was right, bus runs beautiful but the rust around the wheel-wells was a non starter for me.. if I was converting it might be something id have considered because I could fix the bad spots easily with seats and floor out..

-Christopher
Ah that's good to hear. Thx for the details.

Roxy JUST brought out a bag of swag we'd meant to send you that apparently was buried in our house lol. Will deliver in person at the swarm!
Can't wait to see everyone!
Old 02-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #579
Bus Geek

Some fun yesterday!

Old 02-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #580
Bus Geek

I changed the transmission fluid today. I ran outa daylight, so didn't get to take it for a test spin yet. New filter and refilled it with Transynd.
Gonna check the level again tomorrow and leave a half gallon in the bus to make sure its perfectly topped off. They sure put the trans dipstick tube in at a horrible shallow angle.
Doing the service/maintenance on the bus feels very rewarding.

After the swarm I'm gonna check out the gear oil in the rear and after a couple tanks of fuel I'll do the fuel filters.