Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.0L Gas
Schemin' and dreamin' in my new shortie!

I did it! I picked up a 2004 Chevy Express 3500 gas 6.0L with 172k miles for $3800 with as little rust as one could hope for on the east coast. This one was aging out and was maintained regularly as a fleet vehicle under pretty attentive care, seemingly.

Pics for now on the ad that hasn't been taken down yet, because I can't access this site very well from my cell phone. Will post my own in the next few days!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...21901235110835

For now I made a to-scale drawing of the bus itself and am moving around pieces of construction paper so I can envision the layout. I swear, I'll probably end up making a diorama. Tactile learners dream with their hands!

It has 6 windows, giving me almost 15 1/2 feet to play with behind the driver's seat!

Seeing as I enjoy facilitating and undertaking lots of projects, I want to retain some space for hauling things or raw materials in the bus itself-- firewood, bicycles, cool trash. I'm thinking of building out a "trunk" in the rear, accessible by way of the emergency exit, or factoring that in to my passenger seating area up front (bench seats? van seats? arm chairs bolted down with belts?).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to keeping y'all up to date on things. Thanks for bearing with all the questions so far-- I promise there'll be more.

novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I was getting ready to feel awfully sorry for you when I saw "Jersey City", but that does indeed look to not have a rust problem. Underside looks really good and there are no signs inside of rust (like rusty seat feet etc.). Nice find, that was a decent price for a shortie in pre-COVID times, seems really good for today.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I was getting ready to feel awfully sorry for you when I saw "Jersey City", but that does indeed look to not have a rust problem. Underside looks really good and there are no signs inside of rust (like rusty seat feet etc.). Nice find, that was a decent price for a shortie in pre-COVID times, seems really good for today.

Thankfully they were really on their preventative maintenance and sprayed undercoating every year. The rear differential hub definitely needs a dusting with a wire cup brush, but other than that, it's looking pretty good under there!

I'm relieved to hear I got a good price. I wasn't really sure what to expect with the mileage clocking in at more than I'd hoped, but after reading that these engines have a decent run with good care, I feel pretty good about it. I utilized the guide Cheese sent me, and everything looked good under the hood and elsewhere on the body. Newer alternator and belts, no dry rotting rubber or frayed wires. Tires seem decent too!
Old 12-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Here's a mix of pics for those without Facebook!
Attached Thumbnails
20201209_191140.jpg   20201209_191154.jpg   20201208_143517.jpg  
Old 12-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Thank you for the pictures ... I could not view the link.

Well now, a big CONGRATULATIONS!

That is about the perfect size for a single person ... or a "new" couple. Anymore, that is a very fair price to boot.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Thank you for the pictures ... I could not view the link.

Well now, a big CONGRATULATIONS!

That is about the perfect size for a single person ... or a "new" couple. Anymore, that is a very fair price to boot.
Thank you! I'm so very excited! I'm sure as a single person I could have gone with a 4 or 5 window, but I think this will give me enough room to partition the space into personal living quarters and entertaining/project space. Having lived in vans and some inhabitable RVs, I'm really looking forward to this as an "upgrade."

I work odd jobs as my primary means of income, so this will be a really nice way to take the show on the road! Now that I think about it, I'll probably keep the rear for my studio space so I can load gear in and out easy.