Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Seat bolts

So I am going through seat removal to do some of the floor work. The first two seats came off pretty easy (if you can call hammer and long bar sockets easy). The last few (of which there seem to be about 45 or so) which are more rusted and older seem to spin with no removal after the initial pop of getting loose. I doubt I stripped 40 bolts so quickly, but I suppose it is possible. I cannot find any nuts underneath, but that it my guess. Any ideas where to look for nuts or if just angle grinding the heads off might be preferable? I will add pictures tomorrow when there is enough light.

lee.wissmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you look at the center of your bus and see the seat bolts in the floor you will see where they should be underneath. They almost all have nuts, except the few that go into areas not accessible from underneath. some may go through floor ribs and have longer bolts.
Steps for removing them:
If one person, try an impact driver and socket in forward and hope they are rusted enough to snap them off at the head. If not lucky, like me, they will spin in their holes. In that case someone under the bus and someone up top with sockets.
Some will just need to be cut or ground off.
If you're not seeing nuts, it's because they are buried in road grime.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E HT
Rated Cap: 78
Going through this right now myself. Per the guidance I've received elsewhere here, I've been using and angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to take off the bolt heads, works like a charm.

The harder part for me is removing the bolts that secure the chair to the side of the bus, which are hard to get at, and require a socket on the top and the bottom to prevent said spinning problem.

I think it's taking me about 5-10 mintues per seat.

Obligatory "wear your PPE" statement when working with angle grinders and cutting wheels.

Completely off topic: Why does this site add multiple carriage returns automatically when adding a single space between paragraphs? Is there some markup I should be using to do the spacing?
goodguyneighbor is offline   Reply With Quote