Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

Short Bus for non-live in conversion

Hi y'all!

I am based in Texas and my small business is looking into buying a short school bus and converting it to our transportation vehicle. We work in food and beverage and go on tours to show off what we do in different cities. We love the look of a school bus for our vehicle but are trying to see how much work will need to go into it before our next tour.

Since we are not living in the vehicle, it wouldn't be registered as a RV? What does that change in comparison to other skoolies? I know most states require certain changes to the vehicle but does anyone have insite into that texas requires?

Thank you!

DaijoubuPopUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
to use it in your business with sanctioned events.. ie planned tours either for hire or even for free you will likely need to register it as a commercial bus and carry commercial bus insurance .. if its more than 15 seats or GVWR 26,000 lbs then its driver will need to be equipped with a CDL.

Most states will require it to have a DOT number and keep logs and inspections up to date. a lot depends on your bus and what your state requires.. but unless its just a group of friends getting together to go on rides it will be looked at as a commercial bus..
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote