Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Short Bus Questions

I've been looking around for a conventional, 20'-30' bus and might still go that route. However, for various reasons I am rethinking a bus that size and thinking something smaller would better fit my needs. Hopefully someone here can answer a few questions

1. Interior dimensions such as usual height and width are?

2. Looking at what MidWest has I see they appear to be on a van chasis. What is their normal weight load? Is there a style (name?) that runs on something more powerful than a van?

3. How are they underneath the body? Is there plenty of room to put in water tanks & storage like with a conventional school bus?

4. Mileage. Most I see are gas. Do these babies usually have better mileage than the big buses? About how much mpg would be normal?

5. The vast majority seem to be under 20seater. Is there a style that is around 30passenger (name of style)?

6. I would be buying one from the early-mid 90s, which seems to fit my price range. Any type I should avoid, like say the GMC's are utter crud so no touchy--that sort of thing?

Any tips and suggestions?

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Short Bus Questions

quite frankly i dont really care on ford vs chev for the short buses. its more of the power train that i would be picky about. if you want some slightly better mileage and more power go with a diesel. if you want something quite and easy to fill anywhere traveling across the usa, then get a gas powered bus.

as for mileage, it all depends on the weight and how much fricking head wind you encounter lol!

my bus is a "25" passenger but some that are marked 15 are just as long. so don't go by passenger, go by the length of it, or windows.

also if you want a good sized door to get things in and out of the bus easily look at ones with a wheel chair lift. you dont have to keep the lift in there if you dont want to but those big doors are very nice. I wish i had a set actually!!

1. Interior dimensions such as usual height and width are? <-- mine is "25" passenger goshen and it is 7'3" wide and 6'5" tall with the stock flooring. (which is nice since im 6'6" in the morning lol

2. Looking at what MidWest has I see they appear to be on a van chasis. What is their normal weight load? Is there a style (name?) that runs on something more powerful than a van? <-- 7300kg/11000lbs GVWR i think. depends on chassis

3. How are they underneath the body? Is there plenty of room to put in water tanks & storage like with a conventional school bus? <-- somewhat. the flooring is the same but obviously less room from floor to ground then a conventional. look at Sdwarf's bus and his veggie oil tanks.

4. Mileage. Most I see are gas. Do these babies usually have better mileage than the big buses? About how much mpg would be normal? <-- mine gets 12-20 depending on wind lol

5. The vast majority seem to be under 20seater. Is there a style that is around 30passenger (name of style)? <-- depends on chassis size

6. I would be buying one from the early-mid 90s, which seems to fit my price range. Any type I should avoid, like say the GMC's are utter crud so no touchy--that sort of thing? <-- depends solely on the upkeep and condition of said bus you look at.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote