Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant 3-4' wide by 4-6 inches high. Hadn't considered the leakage factor yet as I was really just scheming. I know as a home inspector, every time you put a hole in the roof you invite leakage.

peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: 6.5
Can across this video the other day. First roof raise I've seen on a short bus. One of the best conversations I've seen though.
SkooleeGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post

Hey Mitchk, I am interested to know if you finished your raise and if you have pictures?
Also, what methods you used?
Yours is the only shorty I have seen with a raise. There must be more out there, no?
I am deciding between raising the roof or adding a big skylight on my Thomas body Ford e-450.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 10.17.32 AM.png (495.0 KB, 7 views)
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Yes I'd also been very keen to see the end results of this roof raise. I'm surprised there aren't more documented examples of people doing raises on smaller buses. Obviously some reasons why not raised previously in the thread but still - wouldn't have thought that would stop everyone.

Only 6ft headroom to start with in our E450 and I'm a semi gangly freak so some more room would be welcome but granted...it's not the end of the world. Still not seen the bones to assess what's involved or if worth spending the time doing it - will know when I see it. Plus it's a good excuse to convince April that we definitely need a welder, have missed having one since moving here.
Old Tin Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tin Legs View Post
Yes I'd also been very keen to see the end results of this roof raise. I'm surprised there aren't more documented examples of people doing raises on smaller buses. Obviously some reasons why not raised previously in the thread but still - wouldn't have thought that would stop everyone.

Only 6ft headroom to start with in our E450 and I'm a semi gangly freak so some more room would be welcome but granted...it's not the end of the world. Still not seen the bones to assess what's involved or if worth spending the time doing it - will know when I see it. Plus it's a good excuse to convince April that we definitely need a welder, have missed having one since moving here.
It seems like the layout in a typical shorty is so jam-packed with stuff that you're not going to be doing a lot of walking around anyway, so the usefulness of an all-around raise is less. Something smaller to just give you headroom in the shower (which you probably don't have) and the kitchen is all you'd really need.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
Skoolie

Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
It seems like the layout in a typical shorty is so jam-packed with stuff that you're not going to be doing a lot of walking around anyway, so the usefulness of an all-around raise is less. Something smaller to just give you headroom in the shower (which you probably don't have) and the kitchen is all you'd really need.
By something smaller do you mean an elevated skylight? Am leaning this way for the kitchen corner in my e450 with 6’ ceiling.
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah I'm not wedded to the idea - just interested in the concept. I really need to pick the thing up first and see the back with the seats out to get a better idea of the space. Not sure of the width but 14ft from back of drivers seat to rear door. A 6 ft roof after insulation is going to be pretty cramped and a raise would make the space feel much bigger. But...at the same time I don't want to complicate things too much. Let's see.
Old Tin Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
By something smaller do you mean an elevated skylight? Am leaning this way for the kitchen corner in my e450 with 6’ ceiling.
That's exactly what I mean, and I support you 100%. But remember you're talking to the guy who dropped his floor instead.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:25 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
That's exactly what I mean, and I support you 100%. But remember you're talking to the guy who dropped his floor instead.
I am glad you mentioned that you dropped your floor. I was about to do just that when I read your post.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post

How high did you raised your roof? Do you have any pictures of the finish product?
I have a 2006 chevy 3500 that I am plan in raising it's rooms. Do you have any tip/recommendations?

Thank you
Maxman360 is offline   Reply With Quote