Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Shortbus/Shuttle to Tow a car

Hi Skoolie Rockstars! I'm an archaeologist and travel for my job. I am looking to convert a bus/shuttle that is less than 30 feet (preferably 26ish ft) and tow my 3100lb car behind it. I know it kinda depends on the weight of the conversion, so i'm going pretty minimal on the interior. Has anyone here towed with a shorter bus? if so, exactly what kinda bus did you choose? also if so, how is it holding up? Does anyone have ideas on understanding how much the bus will tow? I have put in hours of "research" which has left me with more questions than answers. So i'm hoping that y'all might be kind and send me in a more narrow direction. What size engine can accomplish this? I'm excited and very ready to buy, but also so very lost on my best option. Thank you in advance for your help

Gatheringminds7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.0L Gas
My Chevrolet Express 3500 comes with a tow package and I own a Geo Metro but am still unsure as to whether or not I will opt to drag it around with me. Still, the option for the tow package exists!

I think a large consideration should be the terrain you'll be traversing most. If you'll be in the mountains, seems like you'll want something with a transmission cooler as a non-negotiable, and folks here have their own preferences around what type of brakes they require for peace of mind. I believe those options can vary a bit depending on the size and type of bus.

Wishing you the best of luck. It seems a lot of this comes down to intuition and a bit of risk-taking, which isn't exactly my favorite flavor, but I already committed to the lifestyle when I made my purchase.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
My Chevrolet Express 3500 comes with a tow package and I own a Geo Metro but am still unsure as to whether or not I will opt to drag it around with me. Still, the option for the tow package exists!

I think a large consideration should be the terrain you'll be traversing most. If you'll be in the mountains, seems like you'll want something with a transmission cooler as a non-negotiable, and folks here have their own preferences around what type of brakes they require for peace of mind. I believe those options can vary a bit depending on the size and type of bus.

Wishing you the best of luck. It seems a lot of this comes down to intuition and a bit of risk-taking, which isn't exactly my favorite flavor, but I already committed to the lifestyle when I made my purchase.
i googled Chevrolet Express 3500, it's a van! and it tows! that's an option?! I assumed vans wouldnt tow. great find.
and good lookin out on the Transmission cooler, i'll add that to my ever growing list of things to look out for. there is so much to learn. Ive seen some threads on breaking systems, it's a little over my head. just out of curiosity, what kinda breaks do you like?
Thanks for the positive vibes. I totally agree with you on the risk taking, it's not my favorite. but i think that is what it's gonna come down to: taking the leap.
Gatheringminds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help please, short bus, shuttle, tow, towing a car