Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Post Shower in Short Skoolie?

Hey All I'm brand spanking new to this site, and I think it's awesome. I'm not too new to the idea of conversions and living life out on the road; however, there is one thing that I've been wondering about in particular: showers in a short Skoolie.

I haven't purchased a bus or van yet, but I plan to in the near future. In full sized Skoolies, it's pretty common to see a shower, however I've only seen one example of this in a shorter vehicle, and that was in a skipper. Also, with that example, she had a bed that was her converted couch/table area.

I'd like to have a permanent bed (as this will be a long term lifestyle and house; I don't want to have to pull out the bed every time). Also, a good kitchen area is very important to me (both my partner, whom I will be travelling with, and I are chefs), so I don't want to skimp on that space. I do plan on having only two burners and a small oven, along with some prep area (counter) and a one basin sink.

At the same time, I think it would be really nice to have a shower. I plan on travelling through various climates, on both extremes, so an outdoor shower might not always be an option. I've thought about maybe utilizing the steps of a bus as a shower area. I've also thought about cutting the shower area into the foot of the bed a bit (maybe halfway?). That's of course not the most ideal option, but it's something.

Do you have any suggestions of floor plans to include a shower in a skipper or short Skoolie? I'd be perfectly okay with having a composting toilet in the wet room and having to step around it during a shower. I'm just not exactly sure where to put it and how to plan around it.

Thank you <3 All of your ideas and comments are appreciated! Can't wait to embark on this journey.

freunin101941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Maybe consider some fabric, a hoop, and an outdoor rv shower setup.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #3

Thank you I would be very happy with an outdoor set up most of the time, I definitely plan on doing that, but I'm worried about extremely cold temperatures, or camping in places where showering outdoors wouldn't exactly be discreet or welcome.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Get a basin/tub and do a sponge bath inside in the extreme times.
Just thinking, there's always more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

Ah, very true. Hadn't considered a sponge bath. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I might have overlooked it, but what is your definition of a short skoolie? Are you thinking a 7or8 window, a P30 chassis, or a cutaway, or larger?? Me thinks we can give you better info, if we know what you are wanting to begin with. That said, I feel your wish list may be too extensive for a cutaway, maybe even a P30. Please advise us as to your plans.
I've wondered about a tub, placed in the stairwell with a temp. shower curtain. Draining the damn thing is a different story. I don't know if a drain line could be installed on a lower step, and channeled to a temp holding tank, or a gray water tank. When not being used as a shower pan, you can put it back in the kitchen, as the sink. (may not be the best idea, but at least you'll know it's clean
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
My bus is a medium sized bus, not quite a shortie. I'm working on the shower right now. Unfortunately, I won't have any good pictures of it for a few more weeks. You can see it in the top right of this old sketchup picture though.

Jazty and Roach 711 both did nice showers in their short bus builds.

Jazty's shower build.
preview pic

Roach 711's shower build
Preview pic

I'ved played around with other ideas like having an outdoor shower where the enclosure is formed by opening doors and using shower curtains, or having went stair section (as you suggested) and having a shower curtain turn it into a shower. But I've settled on having a master bathroom only accessible by the bed OR the rear emergency door for guests, I have other ideas about making a indoor path for guests but that's an unnecessary tangent for now.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Depends a great deal on how short is "short". Mine is only about 21 feet bumper to bumper. No place for a dedicated shower along with the other must haves on your list. Many shorties (including mine) go the wet bathroom route. That is...you sit on the toilet and use a hand held shower wand. Some (if they have room) you can stand next to the potty and hose down but both are combined into one (small) space.

Sounds to me like you are in need of a mid-sized bus though.

PS...either way...try not to get the TP wet...it does not work well that way.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
PS...either way...try not to get the TP wet...it does not work well that way.
I've had some great success with wet TP, it's just not very efficient. Wet paper towels do good work too.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

Wait...so I've been using the TP wrong all these years? Kidding
I am definitely down for having a wet bathroom. It'll be more of a quick freshen up thing, rather than a luxurious shower experience haha.
I'll look more into mid-sized. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #11

Oh wow! Lots of good inspiration! That's really interesting with the access from the bedroom, I hadn't thought of that. I also really like Roach 711's build if my bus could suit that.
I do think a medium bus will work best for me.
Thank you
Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
The combined shower/toilet area in my rig is 31" wide x 38" deep. Quite tight. And even then I had to cut away part of a wheel well. Oh...and forget about standing up. You will pretty much have to step in and out slightly hunkered down.

But...it will be easy to park!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #13

Ha. I'm sure we can figure out how to drain it with enough creativity
I'm not too sure yet what kind of bus I'm looking for. I'm going to start with a list of my necessities and work out a few floor plans to see what the minimum space I can work with is. I want to go as small as possible, but any creative ideas are welcome. I think I might be looking at a 7-8 window.
Thank you
Old 03-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #14

As long as the parking's easy ;)
I don't think I'll mind a small space as long as all the bits get cleaned haha.
Besides, I think the smaller the better. Even though it'll be a nice perk, all it has to do is serve it's quick purpose and not take too much from the living space (hopefully, although I'm expecting it to take a reasonable chunk out)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
I have a short shower in a long bus lol. My bathroom is decently sized, 30 x 60, but the shower head is rather low, at about my shoulders. Will work great sitting on a bucket. But when I want to enjoy my shower, I'll go to the kitchen sink, turn my commercial faucet backwards so it is facing out the window and have a nice Tall shower in the great out of doors. Maybe something like that will work for you. I have seen shower pans as small as 28"x28" You can get them pretty small.

Of course this is all in theory. I'm still building and have yet to go out on a trip in my bus.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Saw a guy in a van that used a large cement mixer tray and a hoop curtain set up. it worked well and was portable.
Gonce4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
26ft b to b.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Don and Mary. It's good to see the inside of a similar bus. Similar, but I have no toilet, shower, sink, AC, curtains and on and on. I'm even missing a paint job. Is that a maypole in your isle?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Don and Mary. It's good to see the inside of a similar bus. Similar, but I have no toilet, shower, sink, AC, curtains and on and on. I'm even missing a paint job. Is that a maypole in your isle?
It's a stripper pole!

It's very handy for Mary to hang on to while underway and as you exit the bus for balance.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
It's a stripper pole!

It's very handy for Mary to hang on to while underway and as you exit the bus for balance.
They're really handy.

Tags
short bus, short skoolie, shower, wet room