Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Almost There

Shower Location

Due to space limitations and "real estate" on the short bus being so valuable and needing to be as creative as possible; I'm wondering if it would be a feasible idea to have the shower area located right where the steps of the bus are; in effect, utilizing this space both as an entry point (obviously) but also as the shower area.

I'm imagining a simple shower curtain that could be drawn and pulled on a slider that is, say, a half circle. So you'd really just be taking a shower on the steps of the entry way. Of course, I would need to make sure that flooring is appropriate material to avoid rust, or mold, etc.

Can anyone envision what I'm talking about? Has anyone tried this before? I saw a video once on YouTube that I should've bookmarked, and this is exactly what he did but now I can't find it. If needed, I am happy to take a quick video on my phone and upload it to actually point out and provide a visual of what I'm saying.

msearslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The first issue that I see is dealing with the waste water. Typically you place your grey tank below the shower so the waste water can drain to it. If it were permissable to let it drain out on to the ground that would not be a problem.

The next thing I see is what if someone needs to enter or leave the bus while you are showing.

Lastly, make sure that you construct it in a manner and with materials that will tolerate the moisture.

Have you considered a "wet head"? That is where the toilet and shower share a space. That is somewhat common on smaller sailboats. I imagine that Google could find you some examples.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The first issue that I see is dealing with the waste water. Typically you place your grey tank below the shower so the waste water can drain to it. If it were permissable to let it drain out on to the ground that would not be a problem.

The next thing I see is what if someone needs to enter or leave the bus while you are showing.

Lastly, make sure that you construct it in a manner and with materials that will tolerate the moisture.

Have you considered a "wet head"? That is where the toilet and shower share a space. That is somewhat common on smaller sailboats. I imagine that Google could find you some examples.

Hi Steve:

Appreciate your time and the feedback/thoughts.

So I've got to say first off that in my ignorance, I do read about grey and black tanks often, but I personally find it absurd - absolutely absurd - to be required to have your shower water go into a tank. I have zero intentions on doing this. The only thing coming off of my body would be sweat and dirt from being outside. We try to be as eco-friendly as humanly possible these days to best of our ability - which means we use truly green biodegradable body wash.

We have no intention ever of being in public campgrounds. In my mind, I was planning on simply letting the water run down the entry steps and on to the ground. Now that I think of it, however, that would leave a giant mess (the equivalent of 5 minutes worth of running shower water) left right smack in front of where we are entering and exiting the bus. I need to rethink that part for sure. Haha. (I am NOT a smrt man - I mean smart man.) If I can figure that out than maybe I'll be in better shape.

Can you actually get into trouble with the law if you are letting simple shower water drain to the ground (no pee - I don't pee in the shower - that's disgusting not to mention lazy as you can possibly get next to just peeing in your own clothes)? I ask because - well - we swim in lakes, right? What is the difference? Our body and skin is in that water. I don't want to land myself a hefty fine or ticket or something if it's illegal. So I'm curious on this if you have any other thoughts.

As far as if someone needs to enter/exit the shower while one of us is showering - I don't know that five minutes will be big deal to wait. It's just Carolyn and I so I can't ever imagine this being an issue.

I have seen many, many videos on YouTube of people using solar shower bags or other solar shower systems outdoors and they shower just fine. Heck, they're recording it and putting it up on the global internet for the entire world to see. I would think someone would come hunt them down the ticket or reprimand then if it were truly illegal, right? Or am I wrong?

Great points. Appreciate ya!!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It is not illegal to dump shower waste water onto the ground, nor is it illegal to dump your pee onto the ground also.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Bus Geek

I agree that there is some absurdity to the laws.

Unfortunately it is a law not a suggestion.

Somebody jump in here if you have more complete information:

I have traveled 45 states and 4 Canadian provinces. I have stayed in all sort of places from rest areas to fancy private parks. I have never stayed anywhere that tolerated dumping your grey tank on the ground.

I have been a few places that they tolerated people showering outside but it was strictly forbidden to shower inside and allow it to drain out on the ground.

Defying the rules can, at best, get you kicked out of the place to possibly ticketing or arrest.

One minor exception that I have run into is some locations allow the watering of landscaping as long as it is "properly treated". I never did find out what properly treated was. BTW: this doesn't mean simply dumping in the flower bed. They wanted specific plumbing with colored (purple?) Nozzles on the sprinklers. Also, there setback requirements for property boundaries, wells, rivers etc.

Kind of crazy.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
I agree that there is some absurdity to the laws.

Unfortunately it is a law not a suggestion.

Somebody jump in here if you have more complete information:

I have traveled 45 states and 4 Canadian provinces. I have stayed in all sort of places from rest areas to fancy private parks. I have never stayed anywhere that tolerated dumping your grey tank on the ground.

I have been a few places that they tolerated people showering outside but it was strictly forbidden to shower inside and allow it to drain out on the ground.

Defying the rules can, at best, get you kicked out of the place to possibly ticketing or arrest.

One minor exception that I have run into is some locations allow the watering of landscaping as long as it is "properly treated". I never did find out what properly treated was. BTW: this doesn't mean simply dumping in the flower bed. They wanted specific plumbing with colored (purple?) Nozzles on the sprinklers. Also, there setback requirements for property boundaries, wells, rivers etc.

Kind of crazy.
Parks may have rules on their private property. It is not an arrestable offense if you break those rules.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Question for the OP:

If I tell you that it is ok to drive 90mph through town and, you do it, do you think a cop would let you off because I said it was ok?

Check the laws/rules for yourself and be responsible for your own actions.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Question for the OP:

If I tell you that it is ok to drive 90mph through town and, you do it, do you think a cop would let you off because I said it was ok?

Check the laws/rules for yourself and be responsible for your own actions.
delete....
Old 02-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Almost There

Hey Marc ...

Do me a favor bro - don't hi-jack my thread where people are trying to HELP others with your effing attitude. I am a pretty cool, laid back person, but I've seen multiple threads where you hijack them and attack people.

Not sure WTF your problem is - but go ahead and don't respond to my threads if this is how you choose to treat people? Cool? Great, because if not, I'm sure Janet H would be more than happy to have me report you and you can simply be banned.

How about THEM apples?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Almost There

Steve:

Absolutely. I'll make sure that I look further into this. No worries either way. If we need to adjust out expectations and planning for the "grey" water issue - we of course will because we want to make sure we're doing what is right.

Thanks for all the help. And sorry for jack-wagon that jumped you over trying to help me out.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by msearslive View Post
Steve:

Absolutely. I'll make sure that I look further into this. No worries either way. If we need to adjust out expectations and planning for the "grey" water issue - we of course will because we want to make sure we're doing what is right.

Thanks for all the help. And sorry for jack-wagon that jumped you over trying to help me out.
Seems like you only want advice from those that have the answer you want to hear. I was just trying to help also.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
If you are not staying in campgrounds then I do not see why you wouldn't be able to shower outside like other people do. I planned on using a shower attachment hooked to my faucet and running it out of the window for outside showers so I was not filling up my tanks. You said you were living here till your house is built? Will you be on your own land or do you want to travel? Will you be boondocking?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Almost There

Hi Gypsy!

This was kind of my thought. I believe Steve's line of thinking is primarily in populated areas. Obviously I don't know this for fact, but I would certainly be courteous and respectful of the laws and rules of those areas such as campgrounds or mass gatherings. So I appreciated that feedback.

We actually live in our townhome right now while we're working on our short bus, "Wilson." Our goal is to take off on May 1st if all goes well. We're really just waiting for the weather to stay in the upper 40s or higher so we can get out there and really dig in.

We don't own any land or anything like that. We intend to travel to unpopulated areas and see and experience the site of nature and such. We plan on being outdoors doing stuff all throughout the day and then sleeping and commuting with the bus. So for sure more boondocking than anything else.

Might be neat to look up some events that we see planned all over where bus life folks get together. That'd be neat. But over all, yes boondocking.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Use safe products that won't hurt the earth and far away from populated areas. I would also check out boondocking sites or national parks websites and they give information about how far away from water sources you should be and similar things to keep in mind when washing outside. I don't know why everyone just assumed you needed a shower in the trailer when outside is where a good portion of the world still bathes!
But I haven't seen any laws that prohibit this as of yet.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I remember the old hippy buses having showers in the stairwell. That may very well have something to do with the fact that there is a law about that now.

You've got to admit, now you see these old motorhomes parked just about everywhere and many of them have dripping waste tanks.

I have no tanks externally. It all goes into the flowerbeds. Soap is fertilizer sort of.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Regarding outdoor showers: I have been places that do allow outdoor showers but would blow a gasket if you shower inside and let it run out on the ground.

Not really sensible but it happens....

I have also bee places that did not allow it. Varies by location.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I remember the old hippy buses having showers in the stairwell. That may very well have something to do with the fact that there is a law about that now.

You've got to admit, now you see these old motorhomes parked just about everywhere and many of them have dripping waste tanks.

I have no tanks externally. It all goes into the flowerbeds. Soap is fertilizer sort of.
I was able to do that in one place that I lived. I had to jump through a bunch of hoops, follow plumbing code specific to waste water irrigation and have it inspected. PITA!
Old 02-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I have this desire to leave as little trace as possible. Leave only footprints, take only photographs.

It's an ideal few of us, including me, can ever really live up to, but it is a principle I believe in.

Grey water is not natural to the surroundings, so I don't want to leave any behind.

In most organized places you will be forbidden from draining grey water onto the ground, and that would include all state and federal parks, all BLM land all private parks.

Whether or not you get an actual ticket I couldn't tell you.

It's just a choice I make is all.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Grey water is natural though. Depending on how you define that. If it is grey once it touches your body, animals get wet all the time. Some actually take showers like elephants do. So the dirt is washing off their bodies and going back to the ground. I don't see how that is very different than someone else having water drip off them. People stand in rainshowers all the time. Is that not grey water too? I'm not saying I'm going to lather up outside and then leave soap all over the ground, but as a rinse off half shower. It's just water and dirt and oils. That's just my opinion, but would love to discuss further.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

But I also haven't looked into the laws and such as you have. Nor do I know what draining grey water means to them. Does that mean I can't physically drain water from a tank or bucket, or does that also include run off from things like solar showers. At campground I have been at with water access, people washed their dishes from that spout, but they are leaving soap on the ground. Is that illegal, should they be getting in trouble?