Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Shuttle Bus Confusion.

It seems that shuttle bus questions and discussion are kind of looped in here in the short bus sub-forum, so here goes.

The wife and I are considering a conversion and trying to narrow down what busses to keep an eye out for and which to avoid; I've already done some digging (and have a good idea) on school busses ... but ...I know the first part of this question has been asked and before, I search and read several thread ... Which shuttle manufacturers should be avoided and which should be sought out?

The second (or second part of my) question is why? Every thread I have read ... so-far ... has been avoid XXX because they are c*** or look at YYY because a poster heard they are the only ones that are safety tested.

The problem is I do not see it mentioned why XXX are c*** any reference to the actual YYY safety test. My, admittedly brief, googling doesn't turn up anything more than bashing XXX (without saying what the actual problems are) or some safety tests for only some models of YYY that seems to only cover braking distance and lane change.

I'd love to know to avoid XXX because they do not reinforce stress points, have issues with delamination, use cardboard style fiberglass without steel framing, or have gel coat (is that a thing on busses like boats?) failures. And to seek out YYY they are built the opposite way or some guidance on a source the definitely says which YYY models are tested and how they fair (tested doesn't always mean the results are good).

WhatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
My old Startrans was built very well. 1" steel tubing cage with thick fiberglass inside and outside. 1" ridged insulation between the steel tubing.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote