Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Is that UPS pure sine or modified sine wave. You might want to check the DC voltage 48 Volt ? and idle current use. Some of the higher end UPS system are dual conversion that means that the inverter part runs constant and is designed to handle the load 100% of the time. These have a separated charger/ Dc power supply that is also rated for the full load and some to recharge the batteries after depletion.

That is quite a project you got going there. How are you getting the structural strength back now the core is damaged?

Like your recycling enthusiasm.

Johan

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
The low frequency inverters are sine wave as the transformer effectively does the ramping up and down of the voltage. A UPS is designed to run 100% either on AC and switch to the battery DC if the AC is cutoff. This had 4 12v batteries in series for 48vdc input, they put out about 50amp for probably 20-30 minutes.
The charger in the UPS is pretty minimal, more like a trickle charge to top off the batteries. However, I could beef it up when it runs on shorepower to recharge the batteries, but I still need a solar charger to charge from the solar panels, a UPS is no help here.

Finding an old UPS is a great source for a cheap inverter, as most have dead batteries and you don't need them. Or the AC input either, although you could use that too to run on shorepower.
This big one is has 230VAC input.

It has a complicated control board and can't be used as-is, I will create my own control board with an Arduino most likely.

The walls will be foam board with thin plywood skins, I may just replace the core in the good side too just to give another inch in width..or not.

Hopefull will get started on it tomorrow or so.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:09 PM   #63
Skoolie

If you haven't torn the glass top stove apart yet, ovens make great storage space if not used as an oven, and even if used as an oven. Can never have too much storage space.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:43 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarnut View Post
If you haven't torn the glass top stove apart yet, ovens make great storage space if not used as an oven, and even if used as an oven. Can never have too much storage space.
I agree. I have torn it apart, but plan to keep the oven door. The walls are pretty thick with the insulation, so it takes up a lot of space. Will just put something else for walls, although frankly I haven't done the kitchen layout yet, I have a ton of file cabinets to use.

So I actually went and bought some new material for the walls, some 3mm plywood and some other lumber, $150! Almost doubled the cost today.

But maybe I will return them, as someone just posted some old garage doors for free, and while it is probably at least 1/2 thick plywood, it is free, and will work just more weight, which is ok. ;)

Also got 64sf of laminate wood flooring, dark hickory. Long drive to pick that up, and they mislead in the ad where it was, oh well, looks like nice flooring.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200825_192430[1].jpg (319.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Got the free/recycled garage door 4x7 siding panels, in good shape too and not too thick. Lots of work in the 95F sun to strip them out, but that is the price you pay for being real and not fake ecofriendly!

My old sailboat trailer came in handy here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200826_135102[1].jpg (364.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Got yet another fridge, but this time it was a big 40cf commercial retail freezer,
and what is most exciting besides all those huge insulated panels that make up the fridge and the big evaporator, condensor, and compressor, but it has big glass doors. The dual pane big glass doors will make perfect big windows with solid seals on them. And they even paid me $10 to haul it off. whoohooo, i'm rich, rich, rich!!! I could afford 3 gallons of gas, and it probably only took 2 to get it! lol

Meanwhile, I'm working on the roof raise, and fiberglass one header in, now going to do the front one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200827_155223.jpg (360.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200827_155247.jpg (385.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #67
Bus Nut

The roof is now raised up 14 inches...

I put together some supports screwed to the floor so the Four 2x3 would slide up as I raised the roof using two floor jacks. I fiberglassed in two headers to the roof, and screwed in the 2x3 into those. Then used screws to hold them in place as I lowered the jack to add a longer push stick.

Now I need to fiberglass in the vertical supports to the walls and up to the roof headers to keep it permanently in place.

You might also notice I have removed the back wall..it is going to be hinged at the top, so it swings up after the rear deck swings down, making the kitchen open up into the rear deck..or so is the plan.

Also I sold one of the free truck tonneau covers I got today for $125, it was too nice to cut up, so now my $200 expense is back to just $75 cash spent on the Nautibus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200901_182437[1].jpg (407.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Chassis: Ford E450
This is an insane project! I'm totally impressed with the energy and crazy willingness to take the conversion in every direction!

I'm much, much more conservative. I started with the exact same shuttle bus, same year, and I'm not touching the bus at all-not the drive train, the Thor bus components, nothing. I'm simply adding my conversion on the interior, without changing the flooring, walls or ceiling. It couldn't be more diametrically opposed to your project, which is good because I am already suffering from conversion fatigue.

Good luck with your project. By the way I also live in Sacramento. Would love to stop by and trade experiences.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Thanks. Building a motorhome from the bus like you are doing is the way to go if the bus is in good shape. This one was not. As I really bought it for the V10, I was not concerned about the rest of it.. The main door floor was rusty and leaking and the handicap door was leaking into the walls and rotted them. The drivers side was rotted too, not as bad, but not good. The roof on a shuttle is already pretty good height, but why not raise it once it had been stripped. I also removed the wheel well humps and can insulate the floor now instead of underneath, and of course a high ceiling just make it feel spacious.

The shop is a horrible mess right now with the bus blown apart and all the free stuff clutter everywhere. But you are welcome to come visit anytime. Send me a forum msg when you'd like to come visit.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Got the raised roof supports pretty much finished. With the 107F temps, I did not even come into the shop sunday. Today I discovered the water line to the swamp cooler on the roof of the bathroom was leaking into the ceiling drywall. What fun. Good news is I tapped it after the hot water input shutoff, so no hot water but no leaking.

Next up doing the walls. Going to glue the siding to the foam, and then glue to the outer wall skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200907_154620.jpg (386.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Got the first wall panel up, these are the garage door siding wood and fridge foam. Even with just one the box is now pretty solid.

At this point, I had to spend some real money! Needed to buy another 5 gallon bucket of polyester resin and a roll of fiberglass mat, more than I will need for sure, but no getting this stuff for free, so had to spend $260. Oh my, the tiny house is now at $350. I have also not had any lucking getting a good sink or shower faucet, I'd expect those to show up free, but what I see is mostly big stuff people want you to haul away for them, small stuff just gets put in the trash. So might have to buy those things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200908_183137.jpg (282.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200909_134734.jpg (324.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200909_135245.jpg (298.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #72
Bus Nut

I am trying to clean up my shop, and took the UPS batteries into the metal recycle place, and got $16 for them, so that $30 UPS was essentially $15, but then I caught eye of a stainless steel beer keg and traded the batteries for it. 15 gallons, I am thinking of making it into a hot water tank, foam insulate it. Either that or it will be a cool gas tank for my Willys Ratrod.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:21 AM   #73
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I would put it on the ratrod, it would be neat there.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I would put it on the ratrod, it would be neat there.
It would look cool. But I do have like a bunch of gas tanks already, not so for water tanks.

I have been trying to come up with a hot water plan, and my searching and reading has not come up with any good ideas, everyone seems to want a tankless propane setup, but I will not have any propane, this trailer will be 100% electric. And I want to have solar hot water too from cooling my solar panels, so I need a hot water tank. I do have a couple 5 gallon Corny kegs I was thinking of using for this.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Ok in that case hot water tank makes sense. 5 gallons that the other tanks hold is a bit skimpy, depending how many you use. A short shower, not extreme short though we find uses 5 gallons.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Ok in that case hot water tank makes sense. 5 gallons that the other tanks hold is a bit skimpy, depending how many you use. A short shower, not extreme short though we find uses 5 gallons.
My spouse takes long showers, and in fact, I was engineering up a recirculating shower plan for the big boat to accommodate. Funny back them people thought that idea was insane, and now all the van hipsters want one, like $1000 toilets, I could probably sell $5,000 recirc hot shower systems.but I don't think I need or want the complexity here.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #77
Bus Nut

More free stuff..some 12ft long 2 inch thick polyisofoam panels. Thinking these will work great on the floor as-is to give a super solid insulated floor to put on some tile in the kitchen area and the laminate flooring in the bedroom area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200913_122610.jpg (362.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #78
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
Very nice score!

It is amazing to see the amount of free/inexpensive stuff you are finding to recycle into your build.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Not much progress, trying to clean up the horrible mess in the shop, getting all the fridges stripped down, that is a lot of work, but getting faster at it.
Have the rig setup to evacuate the freon from them, most were not working.

I did get a free 30 gallon gas water heater today, 10 years old, they just got a bigger one.
Not sure if I should use it or not, but the idea would be to make just a tank, not heater, and strip it down and reinsulate it. Was thinking it might be possible to electric heat the water using the interior flue tube and just put some electric heat there...I dunno, it is heavy compared to a stainless tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200923_183323[1].jpg (359.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #80
Bus Nut

I've cleaned up enough and sold a car so have some room to work now.
Only a couple fridges left to tear down. See the pile of polyiso foam from them.
Problem is the thickness varies all over the place. So my solution is to cut them all up into 2-1/4 thick strips, so consistent thickness, but widths vary and not perfectly straight.
So to deal with that, I will spray foam into the edges. Too much work to save $250?
I'd say so, but all recycled, would have gone to landfill otherwise, and now 2-1/4 instead of 2 inch (as commercial freezer had 2-1/4 thickness)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200926_132548[1].jpg (373.1 KB, 4 views)