Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #1

Shuttle Bus Vs. School Bus

Hey guys,
I'm looking into buying a bus, as of right now it most likely will be a Ford E350 shuttle bus. Reliability is obviously a big concern of mine but aside from that I'm also looking for a bus with a wheelchair lift that I can modify to carry my motorcycle with me, which is fairly light (300ish lbs). My question is...which would you guys recommend, a shuttle bus or a standard school bus and why?
Thanks in advance

Elderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado View Post
Hey guys,
I'm looking into buying a bus, as of right now it most likely will be a Ford E350 shuttle bus. Reliability is obviously a big concern of mine but aside from that I'm also looking for a bus with a wheelchair lift that I can modify to carry my motorcycle with me, which is fairly light (300ish lbs). My question is...which would you guys recommend, a shuttle bus or a standard school bus and why?
Thanks in advance
Depends on how much living you will be doing in it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
i like my E350 superduty shuttle it is easy to drive/park,.. handles well for a vehicle that big,.. much like a truck,.. ive got a v8 gas 5.4 and can't complain about power.

the chair lift will pick up 800+ pounds.

parts are easy to get.

my shuttle came with a lift battery that is isolated from the start battery so a electrical system is easy to install/run 12v stuff off)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeggs View Post
i like my E350 superduty shuttle it is easy to drive/park,.. handles well for a vehicle that big,.. much like a truck,.. ive got a v8 gas 5.4 and can't complain about power.

the chair lift will pick up 800+ pounds.

parts are easy to get.

my shuttle came with a lift battery that is isolated from the start battery so a electrical system is easy to install/run 12v stuff off)
Good to know, thanks! and yes it seems like a very reliable and stress free vehicle compared to other options.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Depends on how much living you will be doing in it.
I dont plan on living in it full time, but I do plan on traveling for extensive amounts of time. Why would that matter?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

Specifically, the narrow body Goshen f350's have caught my eye. Going to check out this one in the next day or two...
Attached Thumbnails
2001Goshen.jpg  
Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado View Post
I dont plan on living in it full time, but I do plan on traveling for extensive amounts of time. Why would that matter?
I personally don't like confined spaces, so if I was to spend any length of time in it I would want something bigger rather than smaller. The more time you spend in it the more amenities you'll likely want, the more room you'll need.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I personally don't like confined spaces, so if I was to spend any length of time in it I would want something bigger rather than smaller. The more time you spend in it the more amenities you'll likely want, the more room you'll need.
Understandable, and I assumed as much. I've traveled quite a bit with friends in sprinter vans and stuff like that...I dont need much space so I'm not too concerned about a smaller area, I'm more so concerned with maneuverability, reliability, and convenience. A bigger bus is a bit more difficult in every aspect.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Check out this thread about the same topic:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/sh...ons-21071.html

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: handy
Engine: e450 6.0
love my buttercup...

a handy bus...came with a lift...thought about removing it, but decided it might make a great barbecue deck when half deployed.
stone21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
That Goshen looks nice. Beware of the shuttle buses that are built with a corrugated card board like material sandwiched between the fiberglass panels. My startrans is built with 1" steel tubing with fiberglass panels, good design and quality materials. I also have the 5.4l v8 and it gets the job done, even towing a 20 foot trailer. I camp in my shuttle and love it. Good luck and keep us posted.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
That Goshen looks nice. Beware of the shuttle buses that are built with a corrugated card board like material sandwiched between the fiberglass panels. My startrans is built with 1" steel tubing with fiberglass panels, good design and quality materials. I also have the 5.4l v8 and it gets the job done, even towing a 20 foot trailer. I camp in my shuttle and love it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Ahh okay, so I guess thats why some of them catch flack which is totally understandable...I wouldnt want that cardboard crap either. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
Rated Cap: 1 1/2 ton
Question Battery isolation?

I have a Ford E-450 Goshen with a handicap lift. I'm trying to confirm it does in fact have battery isolation from the main battery. I wonder the current rating, too. The battery isolator I bought says 700 amps. It's pretty chunky.
I did buy two different devices to help with converting it to a motor home, a battery isolator and a 110 vac automatic switch.
It seems likely there already is an isolator, which would be wonderful if true.
The other quest is to add a much larger battery compartment. I've seen doors for compartments but wish there were water tight boxes, too. The current aux battery is much smaller than I expected.
Ironic I have a box and pan brake and likely could build one if I had time to. I weld but somehow don't have sheet metal welding skills; if it's much thinner than 1/8" I usually don't weld it, I just create lots of holes. Even worse, I have oxy-acetylene and a wire welder. My biggest inhibitor is not having a foot shear. Some day ... some day.
The Goshen is a practice run for my Freightliner bus conversion, coming later. I'm trying out both shuttle and bus conversions eventually. Both have handicap lifts, BTW. The Freightliner is good in the underneath compartment area, it has several.
GaryTheRock is offline   Reply With Quote