Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: E450
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Ski Skoolie: Cheapest 7.3 Diesel Shortie Conversion I could find in the USA

Hey gang, my girlfriend and I purchased some land in Southwest CO, in one of our favorite areas. It's completely off grid, and we wanted to make it livable in the shortest amount of time possible, but also have something mobile so we can continue to make improvements to the land itself (grading, possibly install a septic, etc). We looked at sheds for a while, but then started looking at buses, and I had a couple requirements:

1: I wanted a shortie for manueverability
2. I wanted a 7.3L Powerstroke, I think these engines are killer!
3. I wanted it to be finished building out inside, or close to it, so we could start using it immediately

I looked for a few months, and found a 'problem bus' in New Mexico. The owner was originally asking 15k, but the bus developed mechanical issues and would not stay driving, turns out the injectors were going bad along with a host of other things. I'm all the way in Wisconsin, so I couldn't go look at it in person, but.... we talked w the owner on the phone quite a bit, and made an arrangement to get it towed to a diesel repair place, and explained we wanted an estimate to fix it.

From there, we had it repaired, drove across the country to pick it up once it was fixed, and drove it to our land in Colorado.

Here is the first episode, hope you guys dig it! Cheers!

https://youtu.be/A0JvhuG2Uo8

ADDvanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Old 02-25-2023, 03:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I watched your "everything wrong" video and commented. I've seen much worse build quality from expensive "pro" builders, so you can definitely work with that. I mean, some of the "pros" are doing the kind of stuff that could burn your bus down or hurt you...and in your bus, it looks like they installed a battery disconnect and fuses and decent cable sizing. I think you got a really good value there, actually.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:37 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I watched your "everything wrong" video and commented. I've seen much worse build quality from expensive "pro" builders, so you can definitely work with that. I mean, some of the "pros" are doing the kind of stuff that could burn your bus down or hurt you...and in your bus, it looks like they installed a battery disconnect and fuses and decent cable sizing. I think you got a really good value there, actually.
Thanks! I agree, I think they must have hired that part out, as it's one of the only parts of the bus done really well; I still want to tear it all out and reinstall it in a neater/more compact fashion, but functionally the solar system is well designed/put together. Blew my mind that absolutely nothing in the bus was 12v tho, and they were relying on an inverter for every single thing on the bus. So bizarre.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Update Videos:

This is the "everything wrong" video that Ross mentioned in his comment above, and I go through the bus front to back and point out everything wrong with it. It's not like absolutely terrible, I still bought it, but it's a sign of amateur builders... things to look out for.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Jimmy/Corbeil
Chassis: 96 International 3800
Engine: T444E, AT545
Rated Cap: 36
Just an fyi....
1) 7.3L/T444e injectors are about $180 ea for remans. That's about the cheapest you can get for a diesel. You payed for the service, I guess. Probably take 4 hours tops to do them. I've never had to, but I got a couple just in case. It's like 4 screws, a plug and pop it out with a screwdriver.
2) Hang blankets over the windows, get gypsy with it. Also, a shower curtain to cover the bifold door helps with the cold, believe me. I went through -47 quite comfortably (after the wood stove was lit properly...lol
3)Awesome little unit. Enjoy!!
jimmy649 is offline   Reply With Quote