Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Skoolie Appliance Search

Hey everyone!
I purchased a 1998 Ford E350 handicap bus in December 2018 and right now I'm still in the demo stage. Luckily when I bought it, the previous owner already started the demo so it's not nearly as bad as it could be. It is a 20' long bus, and is only 6' wide. So I'm working with a very small foot print and I've figured out the best floor plan for my needs, and it has left me with a 4' long kitchen and it is proving to be challenging to find appliances. I would like to have a small refrigerator, a stove/oven, and a microwave (microwave is not negotiable, I love popcorn) I was just wondering if anyone has found some good deals on some appliances. I'm committed to having a refrigerator that runs on Solar so I need as 12V compatible fridge, and I'm content with having a propane stove/oven (I would like an oven, but it is not essential). I'm having trouble finding appliances that are in my price range (I'm broke and student loans are starting soon, so super low budget) And i'm having trouble finding appliances small enough to fit in a 4' section. If someone could point me in the right direction for some good deals on appliances, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank y'all!

andie38290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
On Amazon I was looking at the Camp Chef oven. It does not need to be mounted permanent and can be used in or out. It's portable and has an oven. I installed a propane converted apartment stove instead.......

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Cam...ords=camp+chef

There is also the option of a 2 burner camping stove. Even smaller than the oven, but no oven. I have one to cook outside when it's hot.........

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...=coleman+stove

Microwave will require more juice. I don't think you need one. You need refrigeration. A 12V fridge will be a great option especially if you build your bus all 12V without the need of a 110V power inverter. There are many option like a cooler type 12V fridge or a trucker type fridge. Either way, a 12V fridge is great for a single person or a couple...........

https://www.amazon.com/SMETA-Lockabl...rds=12v+fridge

If you need more 110V appliances like a microwave, lighting, big fridge, computers, etc, then your power system inside the build will require constant shore power or a very large solar system, a huge power inverter, and large batter bank.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
Skoolie

Look and see if there are any junk yards near you that have RVs, or camp trailers (tent trailers probably best bet size wise).
As for popcorn, what about the Jiffy Pop stove top version? Not as easy to find but no microwave needed. Microwaves require massive power to use. When I had my off-grid house i had to unplug the fridge (so would not kick on) when i used the microwave and make sure my TV was already on. 1500W system and 900w microwave but started at closer to 1200w.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Buy a Honda generator and a microwave.
That way your good to go. You need the generator anyway.
I may be new to the skoolie. However not new to using a microwave for lunch on a flat roof with a generator.
It stayed in the Jobox
Dr mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #5

Thank you!

Thank you everyone! You guys have been a big help and I'll be looking into everything that you guys have suggested!!
andie38290 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appliances, cheap, deals