Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Soon-to-be Short-Bus Owner In Need Of Suggestions!

Look around airports-mine started life as a shuttle bus.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Do you want a cutaway van-chassis bus (van front & bus body), or do you want a shorty school bus, with the medium-duty truck chassis?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Do you want a cutaway van-chassis bus (van front & bus body), or do you want a shorty school bus, with the medium-duty truck chassis?
This is an important point. The actual school bus type of chassis/body is more heavy duty and "truck-like". The van chassis/body is really just a 3/4 ton van with a large body. I imagine the van would be more comfortable and easy to drive, and get better fuel economy, but the bus will have more space and be able to carry more weight.

I don't think they typically make buses any shorter than 6 windows. Diesel buses, even small ones, typically don't get much better than 10-12mpg. I would guess the vans might get closer to 15-17mpg. My 1993 Ford F250 3/4 ton diesel pickup gets about 16mpg loaded.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I'd say there is no market for a used wheelchair lift. If there is it isn't no $2000. Maybe around $100 to $200 unless it is very new and used very little.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmah
I'd say there is no market for a used wheelchair lift. If there is it isn't no $2000. Maybe around $100 to $200 unless it is very new and used very little.
Agreed. The lift may be "worth" $2,000, but nobody will buy it for that much. Market value is probably under $400.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: SturdiVan
Chassis: Ford E-350
Engine: 7.3 IDI Navistar diesel
Rated Cap: 8

Yea I have a 1992 Ford E-350 chassis bus and I couldn't be happier with it. Mine is the 7.3L pre-powerstroke diesel with about 230,000 miles on it as of current. I bought it from the Santa Clara country school district storage yard where I paid the warehouse manager a measly $375 for it, drove it off the lot, and have never had to do anything more than regular maintenance to it. I'm very happy with the 7.3 diesel--its reliable, torquey enough to power my 8,400lb bus up ANY steeeeeeep-ass San Francisco hill (even when loaded with an additional 2000 lbs of fully grown adults) and OK on fuel, getting around 10-12 as previously stated by someone else. I've had some problems with power in extreme conditions, like steep, looong freeway grades in 120 degree Mojave heat, but places like this often have slow lanes for the big rigs and other such vehicles. I have dual rears and they don't really make the bus any wider, the inner wheel is just closer to the differential. At about 7.5' wide and 19' long, I've been able to maneuver it through every single street I've ever encountered in SF, including the infamous "curviest street in the world," Lombard, as well as cutty little alleys in the Mission, chinatown, etc.

One thing to watch out for, however, is the transmission. Many of these 350 chassis/7.3 combos have the E4OD transmission which while not horrible, isn't especially known for its longevity. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the pump circulates fluid while in reverse, leading to easy overheating while backing-up. Check for burnt or fragrant fluid when inspecting your bus. Test drive if possible.

Oh, and also, Ford just sent me a letter about a recall on my VIN number regarding an issue with brake fluid leaking and a possible fire hazard. Repairs are free at the dealer.

I assume you're from somewhere near Sacramento or the bay area? If so, there's an auction in Oakland, CA this coming Wednsday the 16th at an impound lot that has a shuttle-style bus starting at $300. Not sure if its diesel or not, and it looks to be a bit older than what you're looking for though.

And as far as the wheelchair lift goes, I had a working lift in my bus that I wanted to ditch, I posted it for sale for $150 for a while with only one guy showing some mild interest. I eventually just gave to a guy who helps me get rid of garbage so he could get some money for it as scrap metal.
GoldenGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 AM   #7

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: Ford 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmaas
Do any short / mini-bus owners own a Ford 350 from the 1990's?
Ours is a wee bit older 1967 Superior Coach , 5 window on a Ford 500 chassis.
We've lived in it a number of years and have floated about northern and southern California.

Runs great , never a lick of engine troubles. One of these times I want to re-gear it some or put
a two speed rear end in it, but it's been none the less totally solid.

We've managed to fit a kitchen , bathroom , living room and bedroom into this little bus and
we love it.

--Doc
drclue is offline   Reply With Quote