Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 04:02 AM   #1

Spare tire storage

I am beginning a conversion on a 1997 E350 Handy Dart bus. anyone have any nifty solutions on where to hide a spare tire besides the obvious front bumper or rear door? Thanks in advance.....VicW

VicW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:48 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicW View Post
I am beginning a conversion on a 1997 E350 Handy Dart bus. anyone have any nifty solutions on where to hide a spare tire besides the obvious front bumper or rear door? Thanks in advance.....VicW
Could put it on a swinging rack, Bronco-style... You might want a means of releasing the rack latch in emergencies so the emergency exit door is still usable... Electric latches would work best.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Look underneath in the rear....pain getting it in and out of there, but a large threaded rod would hold it up there....
Slickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Imagine a ramp...

Imagine a ramp. the front of the ramp has a hinge point, as in closer to the front. The back of the ramp is just a little longer than the bus and sticks out past the rear bumper about four inches. The spare rides on the ramp. To remove the spare, you lower the rear of the ramp to the ground, slide the tire to the rear and out from under the bus. You never have to lift the tire.

The ramp is right down the middle of the bus. The ramp "sandwiches" the tire between the ramp and floor. That is one way of doing it.......

willliam
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Triple AAA with 200 mile tow otherwise learn how to change a tire or get creative with ratchet boat strap winch.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Is a spare tire really needed?
With duals on the back, you'll be able to limp to the closest repair shop.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
Is a spare tire really needed?
With duals on the back, you'll be able to limp to the closest repair shop.
Single wheels on this one.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickster View Post
Look underneath in the rear....pain getting it in and out of there, but a large threaded rod would hold it up there....
There is room there & I may end up using that spot, but if I do I think I will get a pickup spare tire winch to mount on the frame.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Be careful about mounting a tire underneath the vehicle if you live in a rust belt area. I've had to aggressively cut more than one of those spare tires free when the winch mechanism seized! Not fun when you actually _need_ that spare tire.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
roof...

Probably not a solution if you don't have a deck up there... but I put mine on the roof rack.

I built a little swinging crane that uses an ATV winch and a 12v battery to hoist it up and down. The crane gets stashed out of sight in a box special built on the roof when not in use. Also allows other items to be hoisted up if needed.

Best experience so far was having the tire shop guys ask me "how the hell did you get that spare up there?" .. 255/70/22.5 on a steel wheel (heavy!)...

Told them "I am just tough and threw it up there"....

"OH, BULL$#1t!!"... Was the immediate response....
They wouldn't believe my story about the wife catching it when I threw it up there to her either... lol..
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcreekcabin View Post
Best experience so far was having the tire shop guys ask me "how the hell did you get that spare up there?" .. 255/70/22.5 on a steel wheel (heavy!)...

Told them "I am just tough and threw it up there"....

"OH, BULL$#1t!!"... Was the immediate response....
They wouldn't believe my story about the wife catching it when I threw it up there to her either... lol..
That's hilarious! I just had all my tires replaced, and those suckers are so heavy! Had to have two guys install them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcreekcabin View Post
I built a little swinging crane that uses an ATV winch and a 12v battery to hoist it up and down. The crane gets stashed out of sight in a box special built on the roof when not in use. Also allows other items to be hoisted up if needed.
Can you post a pic of the crane and winch? My dad had suggested doing something like that for a spare tire on the roof deck.
RoadsideJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Hello! This is Pinelander2020 I read all the suggestions and faced the same questions and dilemma and came to the conclusion of this before I purchased my Skoolie. Tires are heavy, jack has to be for 5 Ton of weight, handling the tires and replacing is hell....so I purchased an school bus with a lift for handicap and the most expensive AAA Road and Motor home insurance. AAA requires you to have the spare tire with your bus and they will do the labor..that simple. I keep the spare tire on the back of my bus were the wheelchairs used to be secure and Voila! Problem solved. Is a Peace of mind �� good luck!
Pinelander2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
No room for a spare. If I have rear blow out, I'll remove it and continue to a tire shop. If it's a front, I'll just replace it with a rear wheel and continue on to a tire shop.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
Early planning stages of my roof rack crane

I don't take pictures... But my dad caught me in the early planning stage of the roof rack/crane scenerio.

Basically I ended up scrapping an old engine hoist. Ditched the hydraulic cylinder and replaced with a solid strut. Strut length makes the top bar hortizontal.

Picture is not exactly the pieces/parts I ended up using in the crane, but you get the idea. Key also was round heavy wall pipe upright and slightly larger round sockets welded into the railing of the rack. This allows the crane to swing and it can be moved to several areas on the rack. I ended up with 4 sockets (4 potential crane locations) on the rack. Rack is bolted clear through the roof ribs and has plywood decking. Crane in picture is in one of the sockets, and other sockets can be seen on the back of the rack... and lying around on the shop floor.

Outside of tire lifting.. also can hang one of those hammock chairs from the crane when chilling in camp.

All assembled with bolts so that it can be broken down and stored in three parts. Vertical piece, hortizontal piece, strut piece. Electric winch was then mounted on the top hortizontal part. All parts can be stashed in a storage box that also has my stovepipe stored in there. Box works as a good bench for beer drinkin on the roof...
Attached Thumbnails
planningcrane.jpg  
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

A boat winch with a cable on it, to a pulley mounted under rear of bus, pretty simple overall, secure with chain and turnbuckle for insurance....sort of the way most spares are mounted on trucks these days....
Slickster is offline   Reply With Quote