Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: GM 6.5L Duramax Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Stove

Salutations!

Still in the planning stage/saving-up-money stage, but had a couple questions:

Do stoves (specifically gas stoves) need ventilation for such a small space? Does moisture from cooking foods or boiling water affect the paint on the ceiling above the stove area? If so, how do you solve this problem?

Benefits and problems with the different types of stoves? What type of cooking heat do you use? Are microwave too much of an energy drain on the generator?

I know there are wood, electric, and gas stoves...are there others? Which is best for short busses?

ermccune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you dont bake, I would use a nice little portable induction HOB.. pull it out, use it, put it back in a drawer when done... very little waste heat... would take 1300 wattsa or so from your generator.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Skoolie

Yes you must vent a gas stove, but that can be as simple as just opening a window an inch or so. A hood vent is good, but not required.
Gas is an easy off grid cooking source due to now electric required. However you do need gas, but that is needed for several things anyway.
The induction cooktop is great, but does need power, if off grid this means using your limited battery power, but they do use a lot, but for a very short period. With a generator you can get away with a smaller one. It's up to you. Advantages and disadvantages to all options.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
A single burner induction burner will consume no more than 1750 watts.
Most likely no more than 1500 in order to work on standard household circuits.
Electric or gas or wood fired all should be vented.
Your stove in your house has an exhaust hood for a reason.
And if you want to run gas, I would think the hood would work for both exhausting carbon monoxide as well as stink and steam.
Assuming there enough fresh air leaking into the bus to do the above.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Yes, vent anything and everything.
It is an enclosed small space mostly made of metal and wood.
Temp differences and moisture has to be controlled for long term benefit.
I have asked the same question and seen the different methods.
Ideally, a vent system capable of exchanging all of the air in and out of your skoolie is best. A Fan-Tastic-Fan works well, dual direction in and out, varying speed all that. Some of the higher grade models can exchange more cubic feet of air than your bus can contain within minutes.
One bus that I have toured locally, had both a humidifier and dehumidifier for seasonal use given our location and extreme climate swings.
Both have to be monitored and balanced, you will find rust elsewhere before the paint above your cook area is impacted. A rusty bus is a nightmare speaking from experience plus, uncontrolled moisture sparks life in the form of mold. High moisture and low air exchange will destroy your health and bus in time. I know it sounds like a lot and difficult but, it is not. It is all trial and error, you will find the balance and be fine. Keep researching and planning, the more you research now the less - what the hell do I do now - you will have in the future.

Have fun.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gas, heat, stove, wood stove