Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Why couldn't you mount the spare directly behind the axle like trucks do? I'm mounting my gray water tank there so that wouldn't work for me... I have a dually chassis so I'm not too worried about carrying a spare.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
For those of you, and there are many, who worry about engagement with LEO should know that a muffler delete is illegal just in about every state.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #83
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 6.6 LLY Duramax
Rated Cap: 15
Hello! I finished a terrific 6 week trip from Colorado through NM to San Diego and then north to the Bay arriving in mid feb, spending extra time in Tucson and San Diego. Lots of riding, great to get out of the Colorado cold, though holy smokes it was nearly freezing too often for my taste.

Re: dropping the muffler. I honestly hadn't thought about it. That would free up room. Perhaps next version. Yes, the spare: to those who need a recap, the short story is I give up on undermounting the thing. As it turns out, I now have a 4 ton floor jack that I'm planning on toting around too so I can take the under mounted water tank off any time I want. The jack itself weighs 99 lbs btw. That means all I need is a torque multiplier or a breaker bar and I can be rolling roadside assistance.

The demo is taking apart it all (yikes quoth he) save for most of the upper cabinets and the passanger chair. The trip gave ample time for reflection on what worked and where it could be better. For instance, I'd like more than 25 gallons of water, my current capacity. Do I ever love showering. Plus if I can ever get my lady friend out that's plenty more hair to rinse. The good news is that by taking apart the bed and really everything else there is room for a second, 37 gallon tank from a minimally used area. Ditto for the other side, which will hold the spare tire.

I also want to add a spigot to act as a way for the pump to draw water from another source, like a hot bag of water that has been in the sun all day.

Because the ins and outs of new tank will be over the muffler, I am thinking of making a sideways U of galvanized pipe and plumb the thing so as I am driving, naturally occuring thermosyphon is heating the tank water. Add under the bus a heat tolerant drain for winter and pressure valve to increase the likelihood of arriving alive and open/close valves inside. And thus, lastly, a way to circulate water between the two tanks.

Another area of opportunity is that of the Thetford cassette toilet, a device that was both wonderful and a powerful motivating force to implement something different. It was a drag searching out an outhouse to deal with the consequences of an unquestionably better experice of having an easy, ready option right there. So that got me reading up on composting toilets no surprise I'm sure. A post here on some toilet thread suggested they'd better named dessicating toilets than composting. Another had the poo storage under the floor. Build a dehydrator under the bus with a tube for poo and plenty of fans? Not 100% here.

Adding solar and that means a battery combiner too. I'm thinking this will be my kit:
charge controller https://www.solar-electric.com/catal...ge-controller/

temp sensor https://www.solar-electric.com/catal...rature-sensor/

battery monitor https://www.solar-electric.com/bogar...y-monitor.html

Shunt https://www.solar-electric.com/mkb-500-50.html

200A fuse or breaker to seperate the house and starting batteries

1-2 solar panels to get 200 or maybe 250 watts total

combiner https://www.solar-electric.com/me-sbc.html
I'm tossing the solenoid I was using and probably shorted which resulted in my first ever DC troubleshooting which means my first troubleshooting ever.

Kitchen and propane storage are moving from the rear side of the bed to the front side (of the vehicle). Old: walk in and hop over bed to get to kitchen. New: walk in and presto you're there! Driver's rear corner will have the yet to be fully sorted out toilet. Above it will be some slide out shelf thing; something 2 feet deep and 3.5 feet wide will slide out from the driver's side and above the toilet towards ths passanger side wall once stopped for the night. That sliding unit will have drawers or shelves itself. THis is all because I use that rear door and bikes are stored under where the large slide out will be once extended. I'll have a tiny maybe foldout bathroom sink too. This time I'll use 3 way switches too so I can turn on the pump from multiple spots.

The fridge drawer rebuild is underway as is moving the cabinet that is above where the toilet room will be to the other side. Yadda yay I'll get some photos that'll make this understandable.
Epomethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Maybe unrelated but how was the experience traveling with everything shut down?
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Glad to see you back. I look forward to the updates, as well as hearing how travel went as per TheArgobus.

Chris
Old 04-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #86
Almost There

Ordered this tank, to go on the driver's side under the bed. Pretty cool to finally be needing it almost. https://www.icondirect.com/jayco-fre...0-gal-0219279/

Regarding traveling as a road warrior during these times, no exciting news: I left colorado Jan 10 and arrived here in CA mid feb. Tending to the to long ignored repairs on this house are more of a delay than the bus updates.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #87
Almost There

I moved (remade is more accurate) the cabinets so the unfinished ones are on the same side; white ones haven’t moved. This is to let me stand in the commode suite. I’m attaching to the wall and roof ribs with metal as I’m taking out any support that had been given by the floor.

I want to run a ground from the starter battery in the engine bay to the 2nd starter and on to the house batteries as it is tough to get a good ground due to some rust. How can I tell what gauge the mfg ran to power the wheelchair lift? It is super thick. I want to match it.
Attached Thumbnails
80D76E25-FA8E-4C84-9E05-B457D940168B.jpeg   932A5CA6-1391-4C47-AB80-628B66183A35.jpeg  
Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #88
Bus Nut

You can Google a simple wire size gauge chart like this:

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wir...uge-chart.html

I would assume the diameter they speak of is the actual wire itself not including the insulation. So if you measure your wheel chair lift wire, you should strip back insulation for accurate measurement?
Old 04-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #89
Almost There

That's a great place to get a number.

We have nearly the same engine from what I've read; different only because of the tune programmed somewhere. That your understanding? I have heat issues on extending climbs, even in weather no one would call hot, and have considered adding a second radiator some day. You have anything like this? Full disclosure, I haven't even sprayed out the existing radiators though.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #90
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epomethius View Post

We have nearly the same engine from what I've read; different only because of the tune programmed somewhere. That your understanding? I have heat issues on extending climbs, even in weather no one would call hot, and have considered adding a second radiator some day. You have anything like this? Full disclosure, I haven't even sprayed out the existing radiators though.
Is yours a Duramax also? Mine is a 2007.5 or late 2007 and is a LMM. Yours would be a LLY or LBZ I believe... I had injector issues with mine and got around it with a custom tune. (Putting a band-aid on the problem- but saving me over $3000 on new injectors) I worked with Kennedy Diesel. John is a great guy and helped me get mine running good. I'm not sure whats causing your heat issues... Is it stock?
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #91
Almost There

Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epomethius View Post

I too have a 2006 Collins with the Duramax. Start with the basics of your cooling system and check the radiator condition and probably do a flush.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #92
Almost There

I’ll start with the basics re cooling. Makes sense.

I noticed the cabinets on the drivers side cover a built in strip for seatbelts or, obviously, cabinet support. That means take them down to alter so they can use what is built in. In the photos below the metal goes all the way front and back.
Attached Thumbnails
C442C12B-B114-4756-B8CB-FC593FD67C99.jpeg   423A7DA6-D7DE-4845-868D-81B0A96CE38B.jpeg  
Old 08-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #93
Almost There

At last the unexpected house repairs are at a pause! Today I scraped and secured the plywood behind the driver's seat as it'll be supporting one of the counter ends, the one with the sink, which is also close to in. The brackets are "fabricated" from the never used legs to a cheapie table saw.

I bought the Webasto x100 diesel cooktop after all, from Heatso.com. Came in a day or two. The Wallas rep said the thing can't be simply hooked up to the return line so that didn't work whereas Heatso says no problem. Also a urine diverter thing.

The plan is to have all the windows useable. 360 degree views folks. Also lots of bolts and attaching what is up there better. The bus has screws on the ceiling holding it to the ribs and I've switched out some of them for threaded rod that conveniently screws in without complaint and have mucho metal brackets too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5799[1].jpg  
Old 08-17-2020, 11:23 PM   #94
Almost There

Cabinet doors staying in place have been a challenge on many forest roads. I started with tying the handles together; next cheap latches like on a fence door that made me think it was a prison vehicle; then something like these from ebay which worked mostly except I started pulling the hinges off too; I added things to keep babies from opening the doors after they didn't hold; and now I'm planning on a long copper pipe going in front of the doors. Being so high + stiff suspension = plenty of movement. A long stretch of pot holes has meant get out a hard hat if you're a passenger.

The cabinets themselves have been a worry too, though with all the metal & plywood I've added the whole bus now shakes too when I shake them.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #95
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
This is the rack I made under our E350 bus Elfie.. The original spare tire winch system in the econoline takes up a lot of height so the spare hangs relatively low. This being a 4x4 so departure angle would have been compromised. I made this rack from a stainless steel handle that used to be part of a commercial dishwasher.. We are running 255-85/R16 under our 4x4 bus.

Econolines have a very nice wheel base and the bus version is extended with another foot. So it all just fits. ymmv.

Johan
Attached Thumbnails
20170326 E350 Corbeil Elfbus spare tire rack.jpg  
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #96
Almost There

Joe, That tire rack looks nice. Alas there are cross beams and the muffler would be kinda near and with space under the bed it all added up to the spare stays inside.

How come 4x4 vs rear locker? I am thinking/planning on a locker myself as I've know from needing to be pulled out due to one side wheel spin I don't have a limited slip. From what I read detroit lockers are common on forest vehicles. I've also read that having it in snow is not super great and a selectable like the eaton elocker or ox locker might be better. Any advice?
Old 08-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #97
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Epo,

no good reason beside cool and had the parts laying around. 4x4 is nice in snow. Looking for a locker also. see my thread for details..
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/e...l-13556-9.html

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #98
Almost There

The bus is at Pete’s gear shop to get the emergency brake fixed at last, new brake pads and as recommended a Yukon dura grip limited slip. Peter said a detroit trutrak wouldn’t engage in reverse And with 2wd reverse is obviously important.

He asked if I wanted to change my gearing and as I’ve considered it, it’d be nice to have a lower 1st gear as I do have to go slow on the forest roads.

Weighty matters.

I’ve read one may choose to drive with their brakes engaged if geared too high for the situation.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #99
Almost There

The bus has a Dana 70 hd differential, which means part 70 and part 80. And no limited slips made which fit. That’s boring!
Old 01-30-2021, 08:25 PM   #100
Almost There

Back at it after another forever distraction. I roughed in the stove and sink counter. The nearer hole is for the Webasto diesel cooktop.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6033.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	53547

Here’s the toilet so far. There’ll be a bus boy tray that’ll be under the bus with a fan for the solids and some plastic jars inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6038.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	53548