Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #401
Bus Nut

what size of bolts did you use to bolt the plates to the bumper? Did you burn through any drill bits going through?

TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:03 PM   #402
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
what size of bolts did you use to bolt the plates to the bumper? Did you burn through any drill bits going through?
The stock bumper bolts were 1/2-13 x 1 1/2", so I went with a 2 1/4".......you can see in the pic that the original bolts fastened in the 'valley' of the bumper, but my flat plate rests atop the 'ridges', so had to use a longer bolt plus use washers as spacers. Didn't have to drill anything....I installed one plate at a time before removing the next pair of original bolts, so everything stayed lined up.

Sanded and 3 coats of urethane.....turned out just like I hoped. Some carriage bolts and wing nuts, and this baby's done.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #403
Bus Crazy

Somehow managed to loose one of my fold-down steps during deconstruction, so replaced both, plus added another and a grab handle at the back so I could get up on my rear deck without a stepladder. Found these online (galvanized) for $12 ea.

Also made my tire hold-downs for my mountain bike.....need to figure a bracket to mount on my emergency door. Gorgeous day for outside work in central NC today; mid-70s with a 20 mph wind.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   copy2.jpg   4.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 04-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #404
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I was surprised how cheap those little folding steps are. I've been intending to take mine off and de-rust and repaint them, but way easier to just get new ones.

I'm looking for a way to get up onto my roof through the hatch that doesn't take up the space of a full ladder; I'm thinking a few of these on a steel pole might do the trick.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #405
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I was surprised how cheap those little folding steps are. I've been intending to take mine off and de-rust and repaint them, but way easier to just get new ones.

I'm looking for a way to get up onto my roof through the hatch that doesn't take up the space of a full ladder; I'm thinking a few of these on a steel pole might do the trick.

elevator??
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #406
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
elevator??
Maybe I'll just do more bodyweight exercises and parkour my way up there.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #407
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I thought long and hard about ladder-less ways, but couldn't make anything work in my shorty.......maybe with your bigger bus?

Saw a guy who built super-strong shelving on both sides of the aisle, with staggered shelves.....marine tape on the edges of the shelves, and used those to walk himself up through the hatch. That requires a level of agility I lost decades ago.

Thought about a waist-high counter under the hatch, with a short 3 ft ladder to span between the countertop and hatch.

Or, if you have enough headroom....a ladder attached to the hatch that folds up and stores against the ceiling when not in use. Or a folding ladder that stores on the roof and folds in and down when you need it.

The Busted Flush
Old 04-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #408
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I thought long and hard about ladder-less ways, but couldn't make anything work in my shorty.......maybe with your bigger bus?

Saw a guy who built super-strong shelving on both sides of the aisle, with staggered shelves.....marine tape on the edges of the shelves, and used those to walk himself up through the hatch. That requires a level of agility I lost decades ago.

Thought about a waist-high counter under the hatch, with a short 3 ft ladder to span between the countertop and hatch.

Or, if you have enough headroom....a ladder attached to the hatch that folds up and stores against the ceiling when not in use. Or a folding ladder that stores on the roof and folds in and down when you need it.
My college roommate and I used to try and scare each other at every opportunity. One day I went out in the hall (which was narrow) and spidermanned my way up to the ceiling by pressing against both walls, then called for my roommate to come out in the hall for a second. He knew something was up - not literally, though, since he never thought to look up when he came out in the hall and about jumped out of his skin when I screamed 6" above his head. Definitely can't do that any more.

I thought about doing the fold-up ladder. Storing it on the roof is an interesting idea.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #409
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:

Same here. I recently went through the same learning experience w/ our marker light guards. Glad to hear these are the same.

Looking great, Don!

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #410
Bus Geek

Quote:

Just had a thought for this: I could do a single-pole ladder with two three-foot sections of pole hinged together, with two footrests on each side that fold down, and the whole two-section pole would fold down into a recess in the floor.

Crude diagram of the ladder in the up and in the recessed positions:

Click image for larger version

Name:	single pole recessed ladder.png
Views:	6
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	44011
Old 05-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #411
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Just had a thought for this: I could do a single-pole ladder with two three-foot sections of pole hinged together, with two footrests on each side that fold down, and the whole two-section pole would fold down into a recess in the floor.
Given your mad skillz in the 'floor recess' field, i don't have any doubt that you can pull this off.

Finished up with my bike mounting,,,,,I like the hitch rings better than the eyebolts I originally planned on, plus I have room to tow three horses if I ever need to. Need to find a bigger box to hold my bolts and tie-downs.
Attached Thumbnails
copy 1.jpg   copy 2.jpg   3.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 05-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #412
Bus Crazy

Got the beast inspected and re-insured, so i've been driving it around quite a bit......a couple of lapfuls of falling screws made me realize I needed to bungee my doors shut sooner rather than later. Also tied down my propane tanks while I was at it.

And a Dickie's steering wheel cover.....mucho comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 05-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #413
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Got the beast inspected and re-insured, so i've been driving it around quite a bit......a couple of lapfuls of falling screws made me realize I needed to bungee my doors shut sooner rather than later. Also tied down my propane tanks while I was at it.

And a Dickie's steering wheel cover.....mucho comfortable.
Congrats on inspection and getting reinsured! I talked to my insurance guy last week about switching to full coverage insurance as an RV when I finish up and get it back on the road!
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:17 PM   #414
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Given your mad skillz in the 'floor recess' field, i don't have any doubt that you can pull this off.

Finished up with my bike mounting,,,,,I like the hitch rings better than the eyebolts I originally planned on, plus I have room to tow three horses if I ever need to. Need to find a bigger box to hold my bolts and tie-downs.

If those whachya callums that are stabilizing your bicycle wheels are in the way for using the platform to double as a table, you could just space the outer boards gap from the middle board to the width of the bicycle wheel and let the wheels drop down into the gap, like a regular bicycle carrier, to stabilize the bicycle. the 4 metal supports would keep the bicycle from trying to roll side to side. Simpler, cleaner looking, and more useable.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #415
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
If those whachya callums that are stabilizing your bicycle wheels are in the way for using the platform to double as a table
The whachya callums are only held on by bolts and wingnuts...I designed the whole deck to tear down in about 5 minutes, with no tools. And i'm not going for beauty, just functionality.

Picked up 2 35-gallon tanks this morning....they'll mount in each back corner, under the bed. If anybody's looking, a company called Blain's Fleet and Farm has by FAR the best pricing I've seen in my months of searching, plus their shipping costs are easily 66-75% less than what others charge. I got these semi-locally at Tractor Supply, as Blain's sold their last two in this size yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   copy2.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 05-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #416
Bus Nut

That’s an excellent sized tank, especially since you have the perfect location for both (nice and secure and warm inside the cabin).
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #417
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
The whachya callums are only held on by bolts and wingnuts...I designed the whole deck to tear down in about 5 minutes, with no tools. And i'm not going for beauty, just functionality.

Picked up 2 35-gallon tanks this morning....they'll mount in each back corner, under the bed. If anybody's looking, a company called Blain's Fleet and Farm has by FAR the best pricing I've seen in my months of searching, plus their shipping costs are easily 66-75% less than what others charge. I got these semi-locally at Tractor Supply, as Blain's sold their last two in this size yesterday.

Those are sweet! Really dig the planning & placement. Curious to see / hear how it affects you stance & handling. We're planning pretty much exactly the same regarding capacity, placement, & 2 tanks. Only thing different is the style of tank (rectangular).

How are you linking them together? Or are you?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #418
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
That’s an excellent sized tank, especially since you have the perfect location for both (nice and secure and warm inside the cabin).
Yeah....I thought I might be limited to a couple of 25 gal tanks, but have just enough room for these. Those extra 20 gallons might equate to close to another week out in the boonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Those are sweet! Really dig the planning & placement. Curious to see / hear how it affects you stance & handling. We're planning pretty much exactly the same regarding capacity, placement, & 2 tanks. Only thing different is the style of tank (rectangular).

How are you linking them together? Or are you?
I'm thinking it might smooth the ride out a little....there's probably more build weight in the front than the rear. I was planning on building a frame around them, but I think at just under 300 lbs, I'll be okay to bolt 4 D-rings through the floor for each tank, then ratchet strap them down. That will also allow for easy removal for periodic cleaning.

I'll just link them together at the outlets, and route them to the pump. I'm going to fill them through the emergency door....don't want a fill door that may allow someone to tamper with my water supply. And they came with vented caps also.

The Busted Flush
Old 05-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #419
Bus Crazy

Well......after thinking about wheel covers for almost two years, I finally did it......and now I feel kinda ambivalent about them. I'll finish shading them then leave 'em on for a month or so, and see if they grow on me.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 05-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #420
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. Now I see what you mean. I like the look on your rig. As a kid I recall those were called fender skirts and wheel covers were called hub caps.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote