Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #461
Bus Crazy
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,422
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I don't have the knowledge to make that statement, though I have seen it on here several times. But 2 different International techs and another poster here said it couldn't be done on my model year. And the performance chips don't come very highly rated, and I don't want to spend a couple of grand regearing the diff for the additional 4-8 mph I'm wanting. My best bet now is to cross paths with Chris sometime and see if he'll take a 'hack' at it.

195 hp would make me happy......210 would put me over the moon.
Well, I got a lot more bus to drag around with my 210 hp unless I get a wild hair up my arse and move the rear axle forward...

If you're not in a hurry I bet you could put your feelers out for a 3rd member with the gear ratio you want for a lot less than a grand.
__________________
David

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #462
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post

If you're not in a hurry I bet you could put your feelers out for a 3rd member with the gear ratio you want for a lot less than a grand.
The cost is going to be the labor......I don't feel comfortable tackling a pumpkin swap on my own.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #463
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Had to go backwards a bit.......the window latch springs weren't working out. The unsupported sides starting sagging (didn't think the windows were THAT heavy), plus that 2" wide wood strip was cutting off 20% of my light and airflow. Took some 2" barrel bolts and cut off one of the mounting leafs, and used my leftover dowels to fill the old spring-latch slots.......obviously looks a lot cleaner. Still a one-handed operation, just got to slide an additional bolt. Will probably paint the upper face of the window frame black, so the wood and knobs contrast better.

Installed a high-tech security device on my passenger side slider.

And I always keep an eye out for black widows while digging through my scrap lumber stash.......looks like I've got another threat to watch for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (194.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (196.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (217.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (213.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (192.4 KB, 18 views)
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:34 AM   #464
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Golden Valley AZ
Posts: 592
Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Had to go backwards a bit.......the window latch springs weren't working out. The unsupported sides starting sagging (didn't think the windows were THAT heavy), plus that 2" wide wood strip was cutting off 20% of my light and airflow. Took some 2" barrel bolts and cut off one of the mounting leafs, and used my leftover dowels to fill the old spring-latch slots.......obviously looks a lot cleaner. Still a one-handed operation, just got to slide an additional bolt. Will probably paint the upper face of the window frame black, so the wood and knobs contrast better.

Installed a high-tech security device on my passenger side slider.

And I always keep an eye out for black widows while digging through my scrap lumber stash.......looks like I've got another threat to watch for.

Couldn't see the pattern on the skin, what is it? I live in Mohave Green territory and the scare the s... out of me


You can thin out the black widows pretty quick. Get a flyswatter and a flashlight. About an hour after dark, walk around shining the light all around the bottom of any structures, around the bottom of your vehicles, especially around the wheels and bumpers. They like corners. Their webs are just a few haphazard strands and are a giveaway to their hangouts. The flashlight makes him standout like the Batman signal.



The spiders come out hunting and sit in the middle of their webs and wait. Move slowly so as not to scare them and inch your swatter above them and swat down quickly to the ground, turn your swatter over to see if you got him and look on the ground to see if you need to finish him off.


If you miss him the first time, or he is in a hard to reach place, you will probably have to spray him with poison because the next time he will run as soon as he sees the light (they always run up the web strand, never down).


My personal record is 46 in 30 minutes. After a few hunts they get thinned out pretty good. I don't like poison because, well, poison is poison and kills more than the spider. Besides that they don't become immune to a swatter. I used to use ant bait traps until I started to find dead lizards, they ate the ants so I was killing the ant killers too. Kind of pointless.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:59 AM   #465
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,056
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I don't have the knowledge to make that statement, though I have seen it on here several times. But 2 different International techs and another poster here said it couldn't be done on my model year. And the performance chips don't come very highly rated, and I don't want to spend a couple of grand regearing the diff for the additional 4-8 mph I'm wanting. My best bet now is to cross paths with Chris sometime and see if he'll take a 'hack' at it.

195 hp would make me happy......210 would put me over the moon.
It totally can be done on your engine, Don. Yours can actually go to 230 without changing any parts.
But if you're looking for 4-8 mph you need gears, not HP.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #466
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Couldn't see the pattern on the skin, what is it?

You can thin out the black widows pretty quick.
I'm thinking it's a cottonmouth or a racer....both pretty common around here. The widows don't concern me much, 'cause I've looked out for them my entire life, plus they won't strike at you from a foot or two away.

Quote:
It totally can be done on your engine, Don. Yours can actually go to 230 without changing any parts.
That's what I keep reading, but it doesn't seem to be the case, at least according to two different trips to my local dealership. Maybe it's something I have to go through NAVKAL to get ......I'm going to call them this week and see.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #467
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,364
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I sure like only having to worry about ticks where I live. And exploding ethane pipelines, I guess.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #468
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I sure like only having to worry about ticks where I live. And exploding ethane pipelines, I guess.
I've found quite a few of those too......they came out early and are going strong.

Got my curtains and tiebacks in. The material was free from work. I would have loved to use the windshield material throughout, but not nearly enough. I'll take a few pieces back in tomorrow for minor alterations. Looking pretty homey in here!

Also replaced my wiper blades. Had to go to 4 stores before I found the old 'pin-style' type.

Too hot to do much of anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (175.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (161.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (182.6 KB, 9 views)
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #469
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,056
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I'm thinking it's a cottonmouth or a racer....both pretty common around here. The widows don't concern me much, 'cause I've looked out for them my entire life, plus they won't strike at you from a foot or two away.



That's what I keep reading, but it doesn't seem to be the case, at least according to two different trips to my local dealership. Maybe it's something I have to go through NAVKAL to get ......I'm going to call them this week and see.
I'm sure if you drive up to columbus oh and buy him a cup of coffee caddillac kid could be persuaded to uprate your engine.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #470
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm sure if you drive up to columbus oh and buy him a cup of coffee caddillac kid could be persuaded to uprate your engine.
I'm a step ahead of you.....I've already offered to meet him on I-77 in NC and spring for a meal on his next trip between Ohio and Florida.

Or maybe he'd prefer a gift card from Starbucks....
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #471
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: NorCal
Posts: 354
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Those curtains look good... did you consider making more "thermally resistant" curtains to increase insulation?
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #472
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Thanks!

Improving their insulating capabilities will be one of those 'live with it awhile and see' things......I prefer cool-to-cold weather and am generally too warm all the time anyway. I did cut foam board to fit the windows if I need them in the future.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #473
Bus Nut
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 450
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
I like the curtains! Looking good! My wife wants curtains. I cut up some foil air bubble panels I had left over from covering all of the windows last year and used those last week camping. They don't look as nice as curtains tho! Lol
__________________
Just getting started on short bus build...
2007 Collins (Chevy Express 3500)
LMM Duramax Diesel 4L85E Transmission
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #474
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I like the curtains! Looking good! My wife wants curtains. I cut up some foil air bubble panels I had left over from covering all of the windows last year and used those last week camping. They don't look as nice as curtains tho! Lol
I'd let her glue some fabric to your panels, then you'll both be satisfied.


Got my curtains altered, and finished with the tiebacks......some chip clips to hold the overlap together.

Also got my cupboard rails in, to keep canned goods from falling on my noggin when I open the doors. I'll stain and varnish those next week.

And 'tried' to get my muffler off, in preparation for the delete next week.....but the recip saw i borrowed didn't have enough power with one battery....I'll borrow 3 this weekend to make sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (176.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (260.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (112.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (114.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (172.1 KB, 6 views)
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #475
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
S***. F***. D***. H***.

Went out early today to beat the heat. Got the muffler cut out, cleaned up the pipes real purty-like, went to install my 4" flex pipe and lap clamps......then realized that the tail pipe is 4" (which I measured last week), but the pipe running from the header to the muffler is 3.5" (which I DIDN'T measure last week). And, of course, no one locally carries an adapter that big, so I'll have to wait a week on Summit.

On a positive note, I can hear my turbo a little better (which I like), and there's a nice little growl out of my tailpipe (which I also like). Interested to see if i can feel any performance improvement on the road.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:27 AM   #476
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Golden Valley AZ
Posts: 592
Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
S***. F***. D***. H***.

Went out early today to beat the heat.

So how hot is S***. F***. D***. H***.


It is 110 F (low 80's just before sunup) here in the Mohave desert. Wind blows all the time so it feels cooler. Some places it is around 120 F or more, but 115 is usually tops around here. Humidity 10-25%
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #477
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,082
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
So how hot is S***. F***. D***. H***.
The cussing was more relevant to my failure to measure both sides......had i been referring to our 90s temps with 85% humidity, I'd have been using my 9-, 10-, and 12-letter words.

I've visited the Phoenix area several times......it's like standing in front of an open oven door, but the lack of sweat made it more bearable than summer in the steamy South.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×