Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Really? All you could find were black and white Rustoleum? Have you tried Tractor Supply? Around here they have a huge selection of colours. It can also usually be found at any place that sells household paint, such as Ace Hardware. Sherwin-Williams also sells affordable oil based enamel. Might even be able to get it custom tinted.
In the HALF-PINT size, all I could find was black and white (Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc...)......was going to try Hobby Lobby or start calling auto shops next. But will try to find a Tractor Supply first.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #82
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Ahh.. I missed that. THAT I can believe ;)
Old 03-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #83
Bus Crazy

Striking out on metallic paint samples, so ordered some 1/2 pints of reds, yellow, and gray from Rustoleum and will try to custom-mix something I like.....going for a copper color, but probably won't like it, as the metallic (to me) is what really sets the copper look apart.

Removed bifold door in prep for skinning that opening, and removed the second window on the other side....that's where we'll cut the new door. Since I couldn't find another driver's sliding window for the new 'front passenger' location, I removed the deleted window's locking tabs and will mount it sideways. In actuality, it works as well or better than my current sliding driver's window. Will need to fill in the window tracks with epoxy to prevent leaking and drill two small drain holes in outer edge of track to get rid of accumulating rainwater.

Anybody need a bifold door?

(....no idea why the pics look like they were taken by a drunk....that's a first for me....)
Attached Thumbnails
door prep.jpg   window door (1).jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 04-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Soooo......after my bus sat in a welder's shop for 3 weeks with nothing done, and getting two other quotes I thought were too high.....decided to do the work myself. I have no torch or welding skills, so it's grinder work and bolting in bent sheet metal for me. Never done any body work other than pulling a couple of dents and replacing a quarter panel, so it will be a learning experience for me.

Got the bottom step cut out today.....will bolt in a bent plate to serve as a battery tray for my house power, then skin over the opening. Will add a window up top and might put a small door window between the window and the floor for added visibility.....haven't decided yet.

I think I could drive over a dead cow now and not feel it.
Attached Thumbnails
before.jpg   after.jpg   all kinds of clearance.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #85
Bus Crazy

Mounted the mirror bar I cut down this week, thus eliminating yet another "head-level-object-just-waiting-to-inflict-a-scalp-laceration-on-the-unwary". Lined up EXACTLY as planned....probably couldn't do that again in a million years.
Attached Thumbnails
20180427_211725.jpg   20180427_211635.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 04-28-2018, 05:22 AM   #86
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
if youre not handy with a welder get used to a hand riveter. if you can use a grinder and hand riveter you can get pretty good results. not sure how rivets would do holding up stairs but if you put in enough it might work.

1. cut metal out with an angle grinder w/ attatched cut-off wheel
2. drill holes the size of the rivet
3. put metal up
4. place rivets in metal and pull the handle on the riveter
5. you are done
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #87
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
If you are going the rivet route and your budget can afford it buy a pair of cleco pliers and a dozen clecos in the size of your rivet. Minimal investment and they hold sheetmetal together tightly in the rivet hole. Try ebay used clecos used cleco pliers. They come in many diameters to suit whatever rivet you are using.
Attached Images

Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #88
Bus Crazy

I REALLY hope to avoid having to rivet anything.....I'm going to run tek screws into tube stock when I skin this doorway. The bottom step will be my house battery tray, and it will be supported by angle iron around the edges and tube stock underneath. The pedestal support plate will be braced likewise, and bolted through the existing floor.

Mocked it up today, and will hopefully get it all installed tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
battery and floor plates.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 04-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #89
Bus Crazy

Frankenseat and Grrr

You can tell I obviously purchased the pedestals before I found some seats.

I might clear out the wires under the seat (don't know why they're even there....there are no controls buttons on this seat) and install a small dorm fridge. Or a pull-out bunk. Or a closet. Found that placing a 1" spacer under the back edge will put my feet comfortably on the floor, so will go that route.

And 1 more pic of my pasenger-side mirror bracket....I REALLY like the fact that I can now walk around my bus without fear.
Attached Thumbnails
frankenseat.jpg   1 insh spacer.jpg   mirrors again.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 04-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #90
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
You can tell I obviously purchased the pedestals before I found some seats.

I might clear out the wires under the seat (don't know why they're even there....there are no controls buttons on this seat) and install a small dorm fridge. Or a pull-out bunk. Or a closet. Found that placing a 1" spacer under the back edge will put my feet comfortably on the floor, so will go that route.

And 1 more pic of my pasenger-side mirror bracket....I REALLY like the fact that I can now walk around my bus without fear.
The wires are for the seatbelt warning system. The pic is of the drivers side mirror, not passenger.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #91
Bus Crazy

Got the battery compartment done and bolted, mocked up and bored floor panel, mocked up window location. Will skin it this weekend......might take Friday off so I can get this side finished and start cutting my new door on the other side.

Went ahead and cleaned the metal, as I bought a HF welder for $89 and might pull off the skins in a couple of weeks and take a swing at this after I practice some. It's plenty strong as-is.....even with my 250 lbs bouncing on it, I couldn't feel or hear any give. But I will need some welding competence for a few other things I'm planning.
Attached Thumbnails
battery compartment floor (2).jpg   battery compartment floor (1).jpg   window location.jpg   welder.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 05-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #92
Bus Crazy

Skint!

Window turned out better than hoped.....only 5" of blind-spot on each side. Still pondering on whether or not to put one of the small oval windows from my old folding door between the window and floor for better visibility. The rectangle on the bottom is where my house battery door will be.
Attached Thumbnails
skint outside.jpg   skint inside.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 05-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #93
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
I didn't see in your thread where you mentioned where you were moving the door to?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #94
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I didn't see in your thread where you mentioned where you were moving the door to?
Everyone is gonna get poop'd out the rear door.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

My uncle finally got a minute to hit all my bolted joints with his welder, so everything's 3 times stronger than it needs to be. Will shim and seal up the old doorway next weekend.

Also got started on my new door. I'm going to leave part of the chair rail and the window sill intact until after I get the stairwell bolted in.....will have that fabbed up this week or next.
Attached Thumbnails
welded.jpg   hole.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 06-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #96
Bus Crazy

Picked up my stepwell from the fab shop yesterday, and bolted it in today. Very solid......when I was bouncing my 240 pounds on it, the only thing moving was the whole bus.

11.5" of clearance at bottom of outside step. I had it built like this in case I decide on a fold-up step later.....this will be easy to modify if I need to.

Will clean up the opening and start my door and frame construction this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
stepwell.jpg   bolted in.jpg   door opening.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 06-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #97
Bus Crazy

Got the new door framed, built, and the first coat of spar urethane......always used varnish in the past, but have heard some good things about the new urethanes, so I thought I'd try it on all my woodwork and see how it holds up. Added a grab handle and another window from Lowes (they're getting wayyyyyy too much of my money lately). I'll put my water tank behind the step, between it and the frame rail, then make a door to access it through the stepwell.

Having a sample awning bent this week.....if it works they'll run all the way down both sides. After that, it's paint, then my first weekend trip.....headed to Bryson City for a weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
water tank behind step.jpg   inside.jpg   new door 2.jpg  

The Busted Flush
Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #98
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Got the new door framed, built, and the first coat of spar urethane......always used varnish in the past, but have heard some good things about the new urethanes, so I thought I'd try it on all my woodwork and see how it holds up. Added a grab handle and another window from Lowes (they're getting wayyyyyy too much of my money lately). I'll put my water tank behind the step, between it and the frame rail, then make a door to access it through the stepwell.

Having a sample awning bent this week.....if it works they'll run all the way down both sides. After that, it's paint, then my first weekend trip.....headed to Bryson City for a weekend.
I used to have inlaws in Bryson City. Is there still that little old diner outside of town that puts coleslaw on EVERY burger?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #99
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Would love to go back to Bryson City. Wife and I honeymooned there 10yrs back... beautiful place.

Will definitely take the bus back down that way.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #100
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I used to have inlaws in Bryson City. Is there still that little old diner outside of town that puts coleslaw on EVERY burger?
I don't know......I haven't been to BC in 15 years or so. My B-I-L landed a job as VP Ops for Nantahala Wilderness Center, so I'll take the bus there on its maiden recreational voyage (about a 2-3 hour drive).....should fit in nicely with the 70 buses they already have.

The Busted Flush